“Beautiful Villa”

Chandra Luxury Villas Bali
Perth
“Beautiful Villa”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We booked the 3 bedroom villa and it really was stunning. But there were just a few things that needed looking into. It would have been even better if the air con in 2 of the bedrooms was working properly. We did contact the front desk and tell them and they did send someone to look at the air con... but we were told that they just needed to be running for a few hours to be working properly. 5 days later they were no better, despite repeated calls and people looking at them. In saying this, the staff really were concerned that they couldnt get it sorted. Im not sure if we were there at a busy time or not but we ordered the in villa bbq one night for 6 people and it was very average. 2 of our friends that were supposed to be ther couldnt make it and that was a good thing as there wouldnt have been enough food to feed all of us. The chef and serving staff however were amazing and I couldnt fault them, On a positive note breakfast was fantastic and the staff were beautiful. Overall, the level of service was second to none. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hello onstanttraveller68,

I am very sorry about the air-conditioning units in 2 of your bedrooms. I completely understand your frustration as the sound of air-con unit can be disruptive. Our air-con is basically on 24/7 and although they undergo regular maintenance and replacement, sometimes they do not cooperate. The staff take all feedback and issues very seriously and will always try their best to find a solution.

This is the first negative feedback I've received regarding Chandra's new in-villa dining menu and I'm glad you brought it to my attention. Luxury often equates to indulgence and being unsatisfied with your meal due to inadequate portion is far from indulgent. Due to everyone else’s positive feedback on our menu I can’t help but feel this is a one-off occurrence but I will address this right away anyways.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to Chandra Luxury Villas and please don't hesitate to contact myself or any of Chandra's management team if you have any questions - we are always happy to help.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
Perth
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The location was great, the service was faultless and the breakfast included in the price was unbelievable. We stayed in the two bedroom villa which was very nice but for the kids it would have been nice to have had some grassed area. We have since booked next year for a 3 bedroom villa, with an air conditioned family room which the 2 bedroom villa did not have and will be nice to escape the humidity from time to time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hi Troyt1978,

It was a pleasure having your family stay with us in one of our 2 bedroom villas and we are all so pleased you will be staying with us again on a 3 bedroom.

Although the 2 bedrooms are quite large compared to other 2 bedroom villas in the surrounding area, The 3 bedrooms are nearly twice as big with large gardens and a massive pool. They are very popular with families and large groups. The price is not much higher than a 2 bedroom so it's good value for money.

I would also like to take this opportunity to give details on VIP express airport service as I've received many enquiries as of late. VIP express service costs USD 36.50/person and can be arranged through Chandra. It allows you to bypass long lines at the airport and customs, An airport representative will meet you at your arrival gate holding a sign with your name on it. You give him your completed customs card, passport and USD 25 cash for your entry visa. Whist you are picking up your luggage, he processes all your paperwork. He then takes you to the front of the customs line and escorts you to the airport exit where Chandra’s driver will be waiting. The whole process takes 10 minutes or so. We only need 48 hours to arrange this service and you can pay for it at Chandra upon check in.

ocean grove
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Our family of 5 stayed at chandra last month and enjoyed the experience !
The service was very very good with previous reviewers comments on the money.
The villa itself was very good but certainly starting to show signs of wear and tear
particularly around the kitchen area and also decking and timber work.

The location is certainly between the beach and the shops but some distance from either.
Not a long distance but a walk or wait most times.

Our villa was also very sheltered from the sun so practically impossible to suntan for more
then a couple of hours a day.

Chandra also put a lot of effort into mosquito control but we all finished up with some bites.
Mozzies are bad in Seminyak but we didn't notice them in Kuta or Legian.

You are isolated from other guests by high walls which is a benefit but on the other hand
can make things a little lonely.

All in all I thing Chandra is great but probably needs a little money spent to give it true 5
star feel. I think we would have enjoyed it more if we had friends or other family stay with us.

I think that perhaps Chandra are very good villas but probably villas are not for us.

Room Tip: our villa no 5 did not attract much sun and was on the outer extremity of complex.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank daicos
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Hello daicos,

Holidaying in a villa can be very different from a hotel. I find the majority of Chandra guests have either travelled to Bali numerous times, looking for a private getaway and/or traveling with other friends/family. It’s important to know what you are looking for in a holiday before you book accommodation because it can dramatically affect the outcome. As you stated below, villas may not have been the best choice but I’m glad that you chose Chandra for your first time villa experience.

The villas at Chandra are very private. We often have high profile guests stay with us because once they are inside the high walls of their villa, they can relax without anyone ever knowing they are there…it’s like a little piece of private paradise. As you can see in previous TripAdvisor reviews, the 3 bedroom villas are perfect for groups. In most cases, groups enjoy all the same hotel amenities that Chandra offers but with the seclusion of a private property.

The high walls may be great for security and privacy but it can block the sun at times. Upon making your reservation, let either myself or your travel agent know you would like a villa with as much sunlight as possible and it will be arranged – we will always try our best to meet your needs and ensure the perfect holiday!

adelaide, australia
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Here's what we love about the Chandra...... You can tell Larry what kind of holiday experience you are looking for and the team will do their best to accommodate you, the whole range of 'pamper' to 'privacy' available to you. We fall, in the main, into the privacy category and the Chandra was able to effortlessly facilitate this; housekeeping when we weren't there, or very brief when we were, breakfasts without all the 'fuss' (which we know a lot of people love but make us uncomfortable), quick, simple and efficient service to our requests for anything, completely respecting our desire for sanctuary... But then, when I asked for an iron on the last night, within 10 mins, the whole ironing board was set up next to a 'mood light' without a noise, I think in respect for my grief of leaving!

Thank you so much for allowing us to feel like it was our home.

I had some communication with Larry before we arrived, and I asked some odd questions. He answered all, with helpful advice and answers and seemed genuinely wanting to help me have the holiday that I want. I like him, although I don't know him at all. I asked for the fridge to be filled with beer and some soft drinks. Larry responded as though this was a completely regular request (doubt that most couples ask for a whole carton of beer for a week, but....). What a joy for me to see my husband's face when he opened the fridge when we arrived! Paid little, if anything extra for this service than if I'd gone to the supermarket myself.

We love the Chandra for couples. The extra bedroom becomes like a theatre room and is a sanctuary within a sanctuary.

Initially, we thought that the location was a downfall. How to say this....? You get what you pay for in Bali and Chandra is right on price. Want to stay on beautiful Oberoi beachside in a pool villa? Well, pay $1000 plus per night per couple. It is what it is. We're from Australia and (forgive me) but the whole staying on the beach thing is a little overrated, unless you're on a beautiful beach. And there are very few of these. We have stayed at the Oberoi twice, absolutely gorgeous, but I'd choose the Chandra for the accommodation anytime.

We are not walking people. So we caught taxis to Seminyak Square (2 mins away) and beyond. No drama at all. Just go to reception and a taxi there within minutes. Yes, if free, the Chandra van will take you, but not a drama if not. We also found a way to Laksmana (sort of the back way) that led to Soho's in under 10 mins and was a very pleasant walk, lots of shade. Take it from lazy people, location here isn't a problem unless you want absolute beachfront (and then you're looking at an entirely different price range for what you get here).

Even though we are not demonstrative in any way (!), I felt and continue to feel such affection for the staff at the Chandra. The professionalism but the genuine warmth. One morning, my husband and i were going on different day trips and he inadvertently took my driver, taking him to a Batik lesson. Certainly not where he wanted to go, When ''my" driver failed to turn up and Ayu and I worked out what had happened, it was joy joy joy to see her shoulders shaking with laughter as she tried to rectify the situation for me, still maintaining more professionalism that I generally see her in Aus. I smile to think of it, just as I do to think about how I'd made a casual remark about shopping for my daughter's shoes, to be greeted with, 'how did you go?' upon my return.

The Chandra's accommodation is fine, if not great. The service.... Been to 6 continents, haven't seen better.

Room Tip: Communicate, before and during, the service is what sets the place apart from all others
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cassandnigel
Hello cassandnigel,

Thank you for taking the time after your stay at Chandra Luxury Villas, part of 8Hotels, to write a review about your accommodation experience. I would also like to thank Sari, Chandra's Assistant Manager, for resposnding to the latest reviews whilst I was away on annual leave.

I like you too, especially after your detailed and might I add complimentary review.

I’ve mentioned this before in earlier reviews but I’ll state it again; the definition of “luxury” varies from person to person. Most people consider luxury as something better than what they have home and therefore it’s difficult to anticipate each guests expectations. For some, Chandra is paradise and unlike anything they have ever experienced before. For others, it’s just a place to hang their hat whilst on holidays. In order for the Chandra team to create the perfect luxury holiday for each guest, we need everyone to do exactly what you did…ask lots of questions (even if they seem silly).

I’m so happy that you felt at home at Chandra. I also think Chandra is a great place for couples although sometimes couples are hesitant to stay because we only have 2 and 3 bedroom villas. The rate for a 2 bedroom villa at Chandra is close to and often less than 1 bedroom villas close by and of the same standard. Past couples at Chandra chose to use the second bedroom as a spa room, others (like you) as a theatre room. One couple that stayed recently for 2 weeks told me that she liked air conditioning and he liked it warm so they slept in separate rooms. I told them that it didn’t seem very romantic but they looked at each other, laughed and told me that after 37 years of marriage a good night sleep WAS romantic.

For those who are not familiar with Seminyak, Jalan Laksmana is a popular street very close to Chandra and full of the best restaurants and shopping. Soho is a relatively new restaurant that has rustic décor and makes an excellent hamburger…perfect place for lunch or a casual dinner. If anyone would like recommendations on local restaurants, please call or email and I would be happy to help. Also, please ask the Chandra staff to make reservations on your behalf; they often have connections and are able to get you in even when the restaurant is full.

I can picture Ayu laughing now at the mix-up. She is a very valued member of the Chandra team and receives so many compliments from guests, Just so readers know, Batik is a way of dying cloth that I believe is more popular in Java than Bali (Java is an island west of Bali and the majority of Indonesians live there).

You are right about staying on the beach in Seminyak. Australia has some of the best if not the best beaches in the world so when they visit Bali, they can be a little disappointed with the beaches. The cost of beachfront properties in Seminyak can be double that of a property like Chandra which is only a very short walk away. The team at Chandra focuses on a private, tranquil and intimate stays although we do recommend taking the less than 10 minute walk from Chandra to the beach to watch the sunset over the Indian Ocean…truly magical.

Sydney
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Usually I wouldn't bother with writing a review, but Chandra villas deserves it. We stayed for a week in Chandra in a 2 bedroom villa, villa number 5. The villa itself was amazing, with a great amount of living space, incredible pool and huge bedrooms/bathrooms. The staff made the experience even better, with nothing too much to ask. Our breakfast chef was incredible, always polite and cooked us a great breakfast every morning. There is nothing I would change about Chandra and will hopefully be back there in the coming months.
Thank you Chandra for making my fourth trip to Bali the best one yet!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kristopher O
ChandraManagement, Chandra Management at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hello Kristopher O,

Thank you for taking the time after your stay at Chandra Luxury Villas, part of 8Hotels, to write a review about your accommodation experiences.

Thank you for your kind review regarding Chandra Villas’ facilities and service. From the amazing villa, the attentive service from the staff & butler and the great breakfast. All of Chandra staff works hard to ensure that our guests experience the luxury facilities and service during their stay.

We look forward to welcome you back soon to Chandra Luxury Villas.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Chandra Villas deserve to have a fantastic review, but I almost don't want to share how great it is in case it gets so popular it is full when I next want to stay.

We were picked up and 5 adults and 5 cases were expertly packed into the van, on arrival our Villa was ready for us.

You get to the Villa along a lane which starts next to the Oberoi and Ku De Ta, it is so close to all the action but tucked away from all the noise.

The setting of the Villas are all of a walkway which is so well kept with plants and statues.

We stayed in Villa 8, there were 5 adults including my 84 year old Mum, who was known on the trip as Grandma.

Chandra and Villa 8 were so much better than the pictures can show, the sitting area is large and open looking back towards the pool, the table is massive and could seat 10+, the Kitchen has a large fridge/freezer and all the gadgets you could want. There is a sound systems for I pods etc.

The bedrooms are all a decent size and have comfortable beds, both A/C and ceiling fans, plenty of wardrobe space (although the wardrobes could do with being updated, purely cosmetic). They also all had safes (again could be updated to be laptop size)

The outside bathrooms were great and you were provided with plenty of toiletries, if you ran out a quick call to reception and they would be there almost before you put the phone down.

Villa 8 pool area was great for getting sun, but you could also sit under the shade either from the living area or the bales at the end of the pool. Pool towels were provided every day.

The whole layout of the Villa 8 was perfect, you felt like you ere in your own little piece of heaven.

Breakfast cooked for us in the Villa was perfect, Tuti cooked the most amazing pancakes, no having to get up and dressed and fight the crowds for luke warm food.

The whole of Chandra Villas are so well looked after, the gardens looked immaculate, there was plenty of security, the bedrooms were very clean.

One of the best things for us was the shuttle, Grandma is not comfortable walking too far especially in the heat, they were always happy to take us anywhere locally and you never have to wait long if its already taken. it just made it so convenient for us.

The reception staff were always happy to help, they booked us dinner and golf reservations no problems.

There are mosquitoes around, but this is Bali, every evening the staff would bring coils to the Villa in the evening, and the day before we left they were spraying, so they do all they can.

These Villas would suit a family or group of friends who wanted to be close to the action but also wanted a peaceful sanctuary close by.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank DubaiNicky
ChandraManagement, Chandra Management at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Hello DubaiNicky,

Your review regarding Chandra Villas facilities, services and staff are very much appreciated. We are also happy that our efforts to make your stay a memorable one are well recognized.
The shuttle service is really an advantage. Although Chandra’s location is only a few minutes walk to the main street and to the beach, we understand that not everyone is comfortable to walk along the lane. When we are busy the shuttle is not always available, so the reception will advise our guests whether to wait or to get a taxi.

We look forward to welcome you back soon to Chandra Luxury Villas.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed in Villa 8 in May 2013, which was a three bedroom with a nannies room. It was perfect for us which consisted of 6 adults and a 14 month old baby, the nannies room was a bit too far away from the other rooms to leave a baby in but the main bedroom was large enough to have a cot fit comfortably.
It was not a family friendly villa but Chandra did everything they could to make it one for us, including putting up a net pool fence and providing a highchair, pusher and a cot.
The breakfasts were amazing and it was something we all looked forward too each morning.
The staff were friendly and were happy to help in any way.
It is about five minutes walk or grab the van to eat at Seminyak Square.
I would recommend this villa to anyone one that wants the experience of a relaxing holiday.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Hello adelaideexplorer,

There are 2 x 2 bedroom and 2 x 3 bedroom villas that are considered family friendly but any of the villas at Chandra can have a complimentary pool fence installed. Prams, highchairs, baby cots, car seats and pool toys are also complimentary.

All of our guests love that breakfast is prepared in villa by the butler each morning, utilising the villas fully equipped kitchen. It's good to enquire with any accommodation that provides complimentary breakfast if it's served in a common restaurant, delivered from an external restaurant or prepared fresh in-villa.

Our very close proximity to Seminyak Square is a real asset. There you will find the bank, clinic, bottle shop, brand name clothing stores, restaurants, markets, lounges...it's a one stop shop for anything you will need whilst on holidays.