“Service to perfection”

Chandra Luxury Villas Bali
adelaide, australia
“Service to perfection”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Here's what we love about the Chandra...... You can tell Larry what kind of holiday experience you are looking for and the team will do their best to accommodate you, the whole range of 'pamper' to 'privacy' available to you. We fall, in the main, into the privacy category and the Chandra was able to effortlessly facilitate this; housekeeping when we weren't there, or very brief when we were, breakfasts without all the 'fuss' (which we know a lot of people love but make us uncomfortable), quick, simple and efficient service to our requests for anything, completely respecting our desire for sanctuary... But then, when I asked for an iron on the last night, within 10 mins, the whole ironing board was set up next to a 'mood light' without a noise, I think in respect for my grief of leaving!

Thank you so much for allowing us to feel like it was our home.

I had some communication with Larry before we arrived, and I asked some odd questions. He answered all, with helpful advice and answers and seemed genuinely wanting to help me have the holiday that I want. I like him, although I don't know him at all. I asked for the fridge to be filled with beer and some soft drinks. Larry responded as though this was a completely regular request (doubt that most couples ask for a whole carton of beer for a week, but....). What a joy for me to see my husband's face when he opened the fridge when we arrived! Paid little, if anything extra for this service than if I'd gone to the supermarket myself.

We love the Chandra for couples. The extra bedroom becomes like a theatre room and is a sanctuary within a sanctuary.

Initially, we thought that the location was a downfall. How to say this....? You get what you pay for in Bali and Chandra is right on price. Want to stay on beautiful Oberoi beachside in a pool villa? Well, pay $1000 plus per night per couple. It is what it is. We're from Australia and (forgive me) but the whole staying on the beach thing is a little overrated, unless you're on a beautiful beach. And there are very few of these. We have stayed at the Oberoi twice, absolutely gorgeous, but I'd choose the Chandra for the accommodation anytime.

We are not walking people. So we caught taxis to Seminyak Square (2 mins away) and beyond. No drama at all. Just go to reception and a taxi there within minutes. Yes, if free, the Chandra van will take you, but not a drama if not. We also found a way to Laksmana (sort of the back way) that led to Soho's in under 10 mins and was a very pleasant walk, lots of shade. Take it from lazy people, location here isn't a problem unless you want absolute beachfront (and then you're looking at an entirely different price range for what you get here).

Even though we are not demonstrative in any way (!), I felt and continue to feel such affection for the staff at the Chandra. The professionalism but the genuine warmth. One morning, my husband and i were going on different day trips and he inadvertently took my driver, taking him to a Batik lesson. Certainly not where he wanted to go, When ''my" driver failed to turn up and Ayu and I worked out what had happened, it was joy joy joy to see her shoulders shaking with laughter as she tried to rectify the situation for me, still maintaining more professionalism that I generally see her in Aus. I smile to think of it, just as I do to think about how I'd made a casual remark about shopping for my daughter's shoes, to be greeted with, 'how did you go?' upon my return.

The Chandra's accommodation is fine, if not great. The service.... Been to 6 continents, haven't seen better.

Room Tip: Communicate, before and during, the service is what sets the place apart from all others
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cassandnigel
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Hello cassandnigel,

Thank you for taking the time after your stay at Chandra Luxury Villas, part of 8Hotels, to write a review about your accommodation experience. I would also like to thank Sari, Chandra's Assistant Manager, for resposnding to the latest reviews whilst I was away on annual leave.

I like you too, especially after your detailed and might I add complimentary review.

I’ve mentioned this before in earlier reviews but I’ll state it again; the definition of “luxury” varies from person to person. Most people consider luxury as something better than what they have home and therefore it’s difficult to anticipate each guests expectations. For some, Chandra is paradise and unlike anything they have ever experienced before. For others, it’s just a place to hang their hat whilst on holidays. In order for the Chandra team to create the perfect luxury holiday for each guest, we need everyone to do exactly what you did…ask lots of questions (even if they seem silly).

I’m so happy that you felt at home at Chandra. I also think Chandra is a great place for couples although sometimes couples are hesitant to stay because we only have 2 and 3 bedroom villas. The rate for a 2 bedroom villa at Chandra is close to and often less than 1 bedroom villas close by and of the same standard. Past couples at Chandra chose to use the second bedroom as a spa room, others (like you) as a theatre room. One couple that stayed recently for 2 weeks told me that she liked air conditioning and he liked it warm so they slept in separate rooms. I told them that it didn’t seem very romantic but they looked at each other, laughed and told me that after 37 years of marriage a good night sleep WAS romantic.

For those who are not familiar with Seminyak, Jalan Laksmana is a popular street very close to Chandra and full of the best restaurants and shopping. Soho is a relatively new restaurant that has rustic décor and makes an excellent hamburger…perfect place for lunch or a casual dinner. If anyone would like recommendations on local restaurants, please call or email and I would be happy to help. Also, please ask the Chandra staff to make reservations on your behalf; they often have connections and are able to get you in even when the restaurant is full.

I can picture Ayu laughing now at the mix-up. She is a very valued member of the Chandra team and receives so many compliments from guests, Just so readers know, Batik is a way of dying cloth that I believe is more popular in Java than Bali (Java is an island west of Bali and the majority of Indonesians live there).

You are right about staying on the beach in Seminyak. Australia has some of the best if not the best beaches in the world so when they visit Bali, they can be a little disappointed with the beaches. The cost of beachfront properties in Seminyak can be double that of a property like Chandra which is only a very short walk away. The team at Chandra focuses on a private, tranquil and intimate stays although we do recommend taking the less than 10 minute walk from Chandra to the beach to watch the sunset over the Indian Ocean…truly magical.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to Chandra Luxury Villas and please don't hesitate to contact myself or any of Chandra's management team if you have any questions - we are always happy to help.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Usually I wouldn't bother with writing a review, but Chandra villas deserves it. We stayed for a week in Chandra in a 2 bedroom villa, villa number 5. The villa itself was amazing, with a great amount of living space, incredible pool and huge bedrooms/bathrooms. The staff made the experience even better, with nothing too much to ask. Our breakfast chef was incredible, always polite and cooked us a great breakfast every morning. There is nothing I would change about Chandra and will hopefully be back there in the coming months.
Thank you Chandra for making my fourth trip to Bali the best one yet!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kristopher O
ChandraManagement, Chandra Management at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hello Kristopher O,

Thank you for taking the time after your stay at Chandra Luxury Villas, part of 8Hotels, to write a review about your accommodation experiences.

Thank you for your kind review regarding Chandra Villas’ facilities and service. From the amazing villa, the attentive service from the staff & butler and the great breakfast. All of Chandra staff works hard to ensure that our guests experience the luxury facilities and service during their stay.

We look forward to welcome you back soon to Chandra Luxury Villas.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Chandra Villas deserve to have a fantastic review, but I almost don't want to share how great it is in case it gets so popular it is full when I next want to stay.

We were picked up and 5 adults and 5 cases were expertly packed into the van, on arrival our Villa was ready for us.

You get to the Villa along a lane which starts next to the Oberoi and Ku De Ta, it is so close to all the action but tucked away from all the noise.

The setting of the Villas are all of a walkway which is so well kept with plants and statues.

We stayed in Villa 8, there were 5 adults including my 84 year old Mum, who was known on the trip as Grandma.

Chandra and Villa 8 were so much better than the pictures can show, the sitting area is large and open looking back towards the pool, the table is massive and could seat 10+, the Kitchen has a large fridge/freezer and all the gadgets you could want. There is a sound systems for I pods etc.

The bedrooms are all a decent size and have comfortable beds, both A/C and ceiling fans, plenty of wardrobe space (although the wardrobes could do with being updated, purely cosmetic). They also all had safes (again could be updated to be laptop size)

The outside bathrooms were great and you were provided with plenty of toiletries, if you ran out a quick call to reception and they would be there almost before you put the phone down.

Villa 8 pool area was great for getting sun, but you could also sit under the shade either from the living area or the bales at the end of the pool. Pool towels were provided every day.

The whole layout of the Villa 8 was perfect, you felt like you ere in your own little piece of heaven.

Breakfast cooked for us in the Villa was perfect, Tuti cooked the most amazing pancakes, no having to get up and dressed and fight the crowds for luke warm food.

The whole of Chandra Villas are so well looked after, the gardens looked immaculate, there was plenty of security, the bedrooms were very clean.

One of the best things for us was the shuttle, Grandma is not comfortable walking too far especially in the heat, they were always happy to take us anywhere locally and you never have to wait long if its already taken. it just made it so convenient for us.

The reception staff were always happy to help, they booked us dinner and golf reservations no problems.

There are mosquitoes around, but this is Bali, every evening the staff would bring coils to the Villa in the evening, and the day before we left they were spraying, so they do all they can.

These Villas would suit a family or group of friends who wanted to be close to the action but also wanted a peaceful sanctuary close by.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank DubaiNicky
ChandraManagement, Chandra Management at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Hello DubaiNicky,

Your review regarding Chandra Villas facilities, services and staff are very much appreciated. We are also happy that our efforts to make your stay a memorable one are well recognized.
The shuttle service is really an advantage. Although Chandra’s location is only a few minutes walk to the main street and to the beach, we understand that not everyone is comfortable to walk along the lane. When we are busy the shuttle is not always available, so the reception will advise our guests whether to wait or to get a taxi.

We look forward to welcome you back soon to Chandra Luxury Villas.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed in Villa 8 in May 2013, which was a three bedroom with a nannies room. It was perfect for us which consisted of 6 adults and a 14 month old baby, the nannies room was a bit too far away from the other rooms to leave a baby in but the main bedroom was large enough to have a cot fit comfortably.
It was not a family friendly villa but Chandra did everything they could to make it one for us, including putting up a net pool fence and providing a highchair, pusher and a cot.
The breakfasts were amazing and it was something we all looked forward too each morning.
The staff were friendly and were happy to help in any way.
It is about five minutes walk or grab the van to eat at Seminyak Square.
I would recommend this villa to anyone one that wants the experience of a relaxing holiday.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Hello adelaideexplorer,

There are 2 x 2 bedroom and 2 x 3 bedroom villas that are considered family friendly but any of the villas at Chandra can have a complimentary pool fence installed. Prams, highchairs, baby cots, car seats and pool toys are also complimentary.

All of our guests love that breakfast is prepared in villa by the butler each morning, utilising the villas fully equipped kitchen. It's good to enquire with any accommodation that provides complimentary breakfast if it's served in a common restaurant, delivered from an external restaurant or prepared fresh in-villa.

Our very close proximity to Seminyak Square is a real asset. There you will find the bank, clinic, bottle shop, brand name clothing stores, restaurants, markets, lounges...it's a one stop shop for anything you will need whilst on holidays.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had an amazing stay in Villa 8. From the moment we were picked up at the airport we were treated with the amazing service and hospitality the Balinese are known for. The breakfast prepared in our villa every morning was wonderful. Fresh juices, coffee and tea, fruit platter and individual choice of eggs, nasi goreng, continental breakfast, pancakes etc...was perfect to start our day. The villa was kept clean and tidy throughout our stay and staff did such a great job at being non-instrusive. Reception was always so helpful with any requests we had I.e booking in villa massages, restaurants, in room dining deliveries from various restaurants in the Seminyak area. The villa itself was so spacious and the individual bedrooms when sharing with another couple felt very private. The villas are a 5 minute walk to the Main Street of Seminyak in the most central location. Special mention to Wayan, Made, Madi and Tuti who made our experience at Chandra even more special. Larry from 8 Hotels was also amazing at answering any questions and requests we had prior to our trip. Can't wait to return!!!

Room Tip: Villa 8 was wonderful - recommend VIP express immigration service arranged through the hotel prior t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helen D
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hello Helen D,

From the moment you consider staying at Chandra and either call or email an enquiry, the staff at Chandra truly believe this is when your luxury experience should start. We try our best to provide prompt, accurate and detailed responses to questions because we know travelling overseas (especially if it's your first time) can be a challenge.

Many groups stay a Chandra because of our large 3 bedroom villas (like villa 8) and group bookings can be difficult to arrange so we try to be as flexible as possible. Offering custom payment plans and arranging activities on the guests behalf are just a couple of the ways we can assist with group bookings.

Thank you for your tip! Bali VIP Fast Track Immigration Service includes dedicated airport agents escorting you from the arrival gate, through immigration and customs to your complimentary transportation without standing in line. This service will eliminate you having to queue up for your Visa on Arrival and immigration clearance. Please contact larry@8hotels.com for further details.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was our 9th holiday to Bali, but the first time we chose to stay in a villa that was not part of a larger hotel resort, and also the first time that we stayed in a resort that was not directly beachfront. Our entire experience with Chandra was excellent – in fact it started before we had even arrived, with Larry (who was extremely helpful, thank you!) arranging transportation, in-villa dining & spa treatments prior to arrival, all via email. As for our stay, our villa was lovely and the staff were excellent attending to all our needs to ensure we had the perfect holiday. If I have to be super-critical, then I must admit that like all non-hotel villas there are some minor shortcomings, however, I was so impressed by the many great things about Chandra that we have already arranged a return visit next year.

THE GREAT THINGS:- lovely spacious villa, nice pool (good size, clean & perfect temperature), luxurious outdoor oval baths & showers, nice aromatherapy amenities, great service from welcoming and attentive staff, complimentary shuttle to local shopping & restaurants (we would simply ring the front desk 10 mins before leaving), great location in Seminyak as only a 5 min walk to Seminyak Square, shops & Eat St, complex feels very safe & secure, fabulous in-villa spa therapists, great in-villa dining menu available all day from various local establishments delivered to your villa for a small $3 delivery fee, 24 hour front desk

THE MINOR SHORTCOMINGS:- not beachfront, villas are starting to show the signs of wear & tear, surrounding streetfront not particularly aesthetic compared to resorts on the main streets (however, this is also an advantage because being tucked away behind the main street also means that you have a lovely quiet oasis!), lack of hotel facilities (eg gym, kids club, main pool, 24hr room service – however they do offer in-villa personal trainer & yoga sessions for a fee if you feel so inclined, and babysitting services).

THE VILLA:- We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa (“non child-friendly” – they do have child friendly villas with pool fences available too), which was one of the smallest villas in the complex, however, we found it to be spacious and extremely comfortable. The open plan living, dining and kitchen overlooking the private pool was lovely, however, being an alfresco layout meant that it wasn’t air-conditioned & was prone to mosquitoes (as were the outdoor bathrooms). However, every evening the staff would set up mosquito coils in all the outdoor areas at the turndown service, and despite seeing multiple mozzies in these areas (particularly first thing in the morning after the coils had burnt out), we didn’t seem to have any major issues with insect bites. The bedrooms were very comfortable with excellent air conditioning, large flat screen TVs, large dressing/robe room, and lots of natural light and a lovely outlook over the outdoor bathroom & gardens/pool. The villa was starting to show some signs of wear & tear, however all was in good working order and well maintained. When we had issues with a light tripping the bathroom lighting circuit, this was efficiently sorted out by the maintenance staff despite us first discovering the problem late at night.

THE STAFF:- The staff work hard to ensure that they are serving you well without being intrusive. Every morning, our wonderful butler, Wayan, would enter the villa an hour before our requested breakfast time (you order breakfast during your turndown service the night prior) and quietly clean up any dishes left over from the previous evening, prepare our breakfast & set the table. On several occasions we were slow to rise and reach the breakfast table, and he would simply keep our food warm & serve it when we were ready. Before leaving, he would quietly clean up after breakfast, prepare some extra freshly squeezed juice for our fridge, and then enquire as to our plans for the day to ensure that our villa was cleaned at a convenient time to us.

IN-VILLA BBQ (A MUST!):- We hosted an-villa BBQ for family who were staying in another hotel in Bali. This can be arranged after arrival, but we pre-arranged it via email a few weeks prior. The menu was excellent and plentiful (we did the East meets West with grilled meats and fresh local seafood, lots of beautiful salads & vegetables) and they happily included my special request for black rice pudding in addition to the usual fresh fruits & Indonesian desserts. The villa staff came & prepared the tables with extra linen, cutlery & flowers, and then set up the BBQ ready for the chef an hour before our nominated start time. Everything was beautifully cooked & presented, with our waitress ensuring we all had chilled filtered water throughout the meal. And then within half an hour after our guests left, they had completely washed & packed up, leaving us once again to relax peacefully in our villa for the rest of the evening.

IN-VILLA SPA:- We completely embraced the villa experience and arranged couples spa treatments daily throughout our stay (portable massage tables are brought to your villa). These were very reasonably priced compared to many of the hotels we have stayed in, and the therapists were excellent.

So overall, an excellent stay in this lovely villa complex conveniently located to the shops & restaurants of Seminyak, with wonderful staff. We had a great experience all the way through from booking to departing and re-booking! Thank you Chandra – we so look forward to staying with you again next year!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CarKri02
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Hello CarKri02,

It was my pleasure helping you arrange your stay at Chandra. After 9 visits to the island and staying in villas that are apart of larger brands, you have a great understanding of what to expect so I really appreciate your review.

Like the previous guest review, I’m not sure if there is anything I can add. I would like to say thank you for already arranging your next stay at Chandra. It’s so nice leaving one holiday and having another holiday to look forward to.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We highly recommend Villa Chandra. The service is impeccable, from the front desk, to your private butler, and even the security team. The impression when opening your villa gate is one of utter luxury - modern vast space, super clean, tasteful decor and inviting pool. We were in Villa 5, which was filled with lovely touches. The master bedroom had an amazing outdoor bath (tip: ask for it to be filled ahead of your arrival from a day out and about to find it filled with rose petals!). Breakfast is made daily by your butler, with ample choice on the menu to mix it up between Western and Asian cuisine. After breakfast you can choose to have your villa made up then, or delay it a little until you've left for the morning. I loved that flexibility, as although I love the villa to be reset to its best, I feel odd watching it happen. A very cute touch is that the towels are arranged into the shape of a different animal everyday. Whilst we contemplated taking advantage of the nighttime BBQ feast (prepared in your own kitchen), our dinner plans changed, and we opted instead for the villa staff to deliver dinner from one of the local eateries. Position wise, it was perfect for us. Set midway between the beach (Ku De Ta) and Jalan Laksmana (Seminyak's major restaurant strip), its a 5 min walk either way. Slightly further (a 10 min walk) is Potato Head and W Hotel. If you're feeling particularly lazy, the villa's courtesy shuttle will take you to anywhere in Seminyak. A great find and I'll definitely be back!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Adrian B,

Your review is very thorough and touched on many of the amenities/services that keeps Chandra guests coming back year after year and also separates us form much of the competition.

I’m not sure there is anything I can add. Maybe that we are very family friendly and offer complimentary pool fences , high chairs, cots, prams and car seats.

We look forward to welcome you back soon to Chandra Luxury Villas and please don't hesitate to contact myself or any of Chandra's management team if you have any questions - we are always happy to help.