“Great Customer Service!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Chandra Luxury Villas Bali
Australia
“Great Customer Service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

My 3 friends and I stayed here at the beginning of April. The service from Chandra was excellent, to the pickup and drop off from the Airport, the excellent breakfast service from Mardi, and from Wayan, the driver we hired for a few hours to sightsee. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful with all our enquiries. We did have an issue with the in-villa dining service, however this was taken seriously and appears to have been sorted efficiently by the General Manager and hopefully is no longer a problem. The main bathroom and kitchen area could have done with a good scrub but this is being picky, as we did love the villa and the pool area was fabulous. This was our first experience staying in a villa, and it wont be our last.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Hello PerthAussie19,

Thank you for taking the time after your stay at Chandra Luxury Villas, part of 8Hotels, to write a review about your accommodation experience.

Service is everything! The team at Chandra and actually all 8hotels properties are the same, spend so much time on training to guarantee every guest experiences consistent, professional and friendly service.

We did have an issue with our in-villa dining. The General Manager changed the entire menu, hired a new Chef service and now our in-villa dining is receiving rave reviews. I just had a guest tell me Chandra’s in-villa seafood BBQ was her favourite meal whilst in Bali and she dined at some of the most popular restaurants on the island. Results like these have helped boost the management teams confidence when considering Chandra guests requirements for the perfect holiday.

We look forward to welcome you back soon to Chandra Luxury Villas and please don't hesitate to contact myself or any of Chandra's management team if you have any questions - we are always happy to help.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed at Chandra in March 2013 with our 3 year old, another couple and their one year old. Assistance in the booking and lead-up to the visit was great, very professional at all times.

Our villa (villa 9) was just beautiful! The bedrooms, bathrooms, pool and living areas were all stunning and just what we were hoping for. The yard was beautifully presented every day. Breakfast every day was lovely too, with so many options we couldn’t decide and the help with babysitting was just fantastic. We felt very safe at Chandra as well, thanks to the lovely men at security.

The location wasn't great, a long way down a narrow, hot alley and away from anything. OK in a taxi, car or scooter but nothing within walking distance.

Sadly there were a few elements of the stay that really let the villa down. We have stayed in many villas in Bali over the years, and one of the things we like most about choosing a villa instead of a hotel is the personal service, usually from both the reception staff and a villa manager who works regularly with our family, and who we have the opportunity to meet and get to know. Sadly we have no idea who our staff were at Chandra – the staff changed so often, and nobody introduced themselves or tried to build a relationship. I’m not sure if there was a ‘villa manager’, or just staff who worked in different places each day.

The staff were all lovely and polite, but the personal touch was really lacking. Nobody in reception knew us or engaged in a chat. It felt very formal and not at all like Bali.

As a result of the regular change in our villa staff, nobody seemed to take overall responsibility for the villa itself. Housekeeping was inconsistent - for several days we had no hand towels or face washers, our body wash wasn’t refilled at all and our personal tooth brushes were thrown away after one clean. Soap wasn’t re-filled, bins weren’t emptied and we were often left without enough pool towels. The floor mats were missing, making it dangerously slippery on the white tiles when they were damp. Our bedroom air conditioning was switched off on a few days, meaning the rooms were roasting when we returned to put the babies down for their daily sleeps.

I had read a lot online about special touches in the Chandra villas, but we seemed to miss out on them all. Many past guests spoke of cute ‘towel animals’ and really getting to know their villa managers...we didn’t see any of these animals, and none of the staff introduced themselves. The airport transfers were basic, but a cool bottle of water on arrival and the baby seat ready to use would have made a huge difference, especially as they knew babies were arriving with us. This seems to be normal practice at other villas of this standard in Bali.

Finally I was completely stunned by the cost of the laundry service. Every villa I have stayed in has included personal laundry for free, so getting a bill for more than $50 AUD at the end of our stay for two small bags of washing was a big shock. I expected the prices to be quite low, given the nightly rate of the villa.

Overall it was like staying in an expensive villa run by a hotel...which I guess is the case. However this is a real shame, as villas should always be a more personal, home-like option for family accommodation. And if the villa is being run as a hotel, then the standards need to meet those of a hotel – with consistent housekeeping and basics like towels and soap included every day. For $500+ a night, I expected outstanding, seamless service.

A lovely villa to look at, but completely missing the 'heart' of Bali.

Room Tip: Villa 9 was beautiful, great for two families!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hello ParisPiccolo,

Thank you or your kind words regarding your reservation process. I oversee reservations, understand the concerns of most travellers and try my best to anticipate their wants/needs.

I understand your opinion on the Bali villa expereince and you are correct, we run our villas much like a hotel. We try to keep a watchful eye on all aspects of each villa and I apologise profusely if standards were not met. The management team have had long discussions regarding how personable the staff should be with guests. We found the majority of our guests enjoy privacy and few interruptions. Unfortunately this isn’t the case for all guests as some like the personal approach. I guess the best way to guarantee Chandra guests the perfect holiday, please be as detailed as possible when making a reservation and we will do our best to accommodate.

Chandra laundry service cost a bit more than other villas but it’s outsourced to a trusted, professional facility and not done in-house. The laundry slips located in each bedroom have the prices listed for all laundry services to eliminate situations such as these. Once again, we found our guests prefer to pay a little more for better laundry service. For guests who are on a budget, there are many Laundromats close by that have a drop off service and costs less.

Many new villas are on tiny, winding dirt roads that are in the middle of nowhere and impossible for cab drivers to find. Chandra is a 2 minute and 37 second scooter ride (we’ve timed it and created a video called “the way to Chandra”) or a 10 minute walk on a paved road to the beach, Ku De TA and Seminyak Square. Any closer and you would be too close to the hustle and bustle. I truly think Chandra has one of the best locations in Seminyak for the price. Of course beach front is beautiful but it’s twice as much and only a $1 cab ride away from us.

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We rented a 2 bedroom villa for 2 couples and it was just perfect! The whole experience felt so relaxing, luxurious, we all felt very pampered and well looked after. The outdoor living, private cabana and pool were very nice to have all to yourself! We loved that there was plenty of space for us to all relax, a great place to hang out with friends. The staff were so lovely and ensured the place was always clean and tidy. They even come and make you a yummy breakfast every morning! Location is also great - just a short walk/scooter ride to Seminyak Square and lots of great little restaurants shops! We will be back for sure!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Hello Natalie A,

Relaxing, Luxurious, Pampered...these are the perfect words to describe Chandra.

Whether it's a single traveller or 2 couples, our 2 bedroom villas provide privacy in a spacious, secured environment. One person can be in the tub, another in the pool, a third stretched out on the lounge and a 4th resting in their king bed and you would feel like your all alone in your own Bali Paradise.

The in-villa breakfast menu that our guests adore just recently acquired new dishes and more options for current dishes. We want to give out guests more variety, especially those who stay for extended periods of time. The butlers have been trained on the new menu and are excited to test their culinary skills.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Chandra Villa's were outstanding pure luxury. My husband and I are sitting by the pool and deciding the best date for our return. There was not one thing we could fault. We loved the outside bathrooms. Location is in a quiet back street and not too far from the main centre of Seminyak where all the restaurants and shops are.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Ash5235,

Thank you for taking the time during your stay at Chandra Luxury Villas, part of 8Hotels, to write a review about your accommodation experience.

I think the indoor/outdoor bathrooms are one of the best features at Chandra. There is something about a hot shower in the morning in your private outdoor shower that is much more invigorating than showering indoors. It's probably the fresh air and sun that gets your body ready for the day ahead.

It's hard not to think about your next holiday whilst on vacation - fantasizing about the next time you will have the opportunity to relax your mind, rejuvenate your body and do all the things you normally don't have time to do in you day-to-day life.

Some Chandra guests return every few months and others every few years. No matter how often you stay, the Chandra team understands how much our guests appreciate their time in our villas and we try our best to make each visit better than the last.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed at the Chandra Villas for 5 nights in March this year for my honeymoon and could not have been more happy with the experience! It was the perfect setting for a romantic holiday but also a great option for families. Stayed in 3A a 2 bedroom villa which was huge for just the two of us and very tastefully decorated in traditional yet modern decor. The outside bathroom was amazing with its rose petal filled bathtub and rainforest shower.

Each morning our chef came in to cook us breakfast and the staff to clean our room. The staff were very unobtrusive and happy to meet any request. The villas were a 15-20minute walk to the main street and the shuttle was often available to take us down. Lots of nice restaurant and shops to choose from. Can highly recommend the villas!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank msl801
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Hello msl801,

Attracting Honeymooners to Chandra has been a challenge in the past because there are only 2 and 3 bedroom villas and most prefer the 1 bedroom option. I'm glad that you pointed out the amount of space in a 2 bedroom villa as you can spend days there and not feel confined.

The large bathtubs are perfect for 2 and if given notice, the staff will arrange a rose petal bath to be ready for your arrival. I also recommend arranging a couples in-villa massage upon arrival as it's a great way to ease into your tropical getaway.

In-villa prepared breakfast is one of my favourite luxuries. I don't consider myself a morning person so the fact I can order breakfast the night before, select the time I want it prepared, wake up exactly when it's ready, walk out of my room to a dining table full of my favourite breakfast food is heavenly! In a worse case scenario, if I wake up early I go for a swim until the Butler notifies me that it’s ready.

If you want to get away for a romantic night on the town, Seminyak has so so many beautiful restaurants and lounges. Living Room is a nice option because Thursday - Sunday you can enjoy a beautiful dinner and then go dancing in the same venue. The Chandra reception staff are more than happy to make reservations on your behalf.

I hope more people consider Chandra for their honeymoon. For those who do, please contact the Chandra team so they can customise your honeymoon to exactly the way you want it.

adelaide, australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed at the Chandra with our 3 year old daughter late last year. The villa itself was not suitable for us, so we stayed only a shortened time of our intended stay, as there was no other villa available. The issue that arose with the villa occurred due to a misinterpretation of the website's information regarding a particular villa's suitability for a small child, and our failure to communicate with the Chandra prior to our arrival (highly suggested). The point is, when we made our concerns known, every single staff member, from housekeeping to Manager to Marketing Director made every possible effort to rectify the problem and we had personal communication from all involved (the manager himself personally dropped off our laundry to our new villa the following day). I got the real impression that they would have built us a new villa for the rest of our stay if it were all possible. The issue that I had, being that 'child friendly' villas were not specifically indicated on the website, was RECTIFIED within a matter of weeks. Problem sorted for future travellers.

As a side note, while the Chandra seems to have a number of villas that are suitable for children and children are certainly welcome and treated beautifully, it is not a villa complex where you feel overwhelmed by other people's noisy children.

For the time we had there, the villas were great. It is the service though that sets this place in the highest level. Our daughter was sad to go, the pool was great for her. She did get rather enthusiastic about the whole thing and then started to get a bit of sunstroke (bad parents!) and while I was absolutely mortified to call housekeeping and ask for them to come and change the sheets for her, the staff were completely fine and didn't even raise an eyebrow.

We were so impressed with the way that the Chandra handled our issue, and the fact that they were lovely villas, that we will be returning very soon at the end of this Bali trip. Just thinking how much we are looking forward to it and remembered that had forgotten to write review.

I dare you to find service like the Chandra offers anywhere else in the world for such a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Contact the Chandra prior to your stay so that you can tailor the experience that you want
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank cassandnigel
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hello cassandnigel,

Your situation was very unfortunate and I believe everyone involved was upset. At the time we had only recently taken steps to make Chandra more family friendly and did not have all required information online. Half of Chandra villas are family friendly but it appeared as if all were to guests booking online. Immediately after your stay, we updated all online information so guests can book the appropriate villa without having to contact Chandra directly (although recommended).

I'm glad you highlighted Chandra’s positive reaction to your problem. Although we try our best to ensure the perfect holiday, errors may occur. It's in these moments we have the choice to be resistant or accommodating. Accommodating is the better approach and any property, 2 star or 5 star should act in this manner.

Your tip is perfect! Chandra staff will customise each guests holiday exactly to their specifications so it's important that you contact us...all suggestions are welcomed!

australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 8nts at Chandra Villas.
Villa complex is located down a series of lane ways about a 5-10 walk to the Main Street in Seminyak.
Location is great if your interested in this area, we found it quiet & as safe as you can feel in Bali.
We did plenty of walking however when going out with the kids, we would use the Chandra van if available & if we were going to be going into Seminyak or catch the cheap taxis.
We stayed in Villa 1, which we found modern & comfortable, the "nannys room" was made into a 4th bdrm, it was ok for our children however I would not recommend this option for an adult, as it was a far less superior bedroom compared to the other 3.
The pool is a great size & the kids swam nonstop, the bedrooms are all air conditioned & comfortable.Each bedroom has an outdoor bathroom, which we all enjoyed.
We did not have a particular staff member specifically looking after our Villa, so I can't comment on anyone in particular, but I can say, all the staff here from the staff who prepared breakfast & cleaned to the Reception staff, were very friendly,professional & accommodating.
Our son was bitten by a huge wasp in the complex & they were very caring & paid for the doctors treatment, this was not expected or suggested, the lady at Reception asked for a receipt & reimbursed the dr's fee which was so thoughtful.
Also, the drivers & security staff were extremely friendly & always smiling.
We did find the mosquitoes are very,very bad here. Be prepared & bring plenty of spray.
We went out almost every morning for breakfast, Bistrot & KuDeTa being our choices, however the Villa staff made a lovely breakfast every morning for our children.
We also did not experience the Villa in room cooking as we were out each night, we did order in one day from the takeaway menu, form local restaurants, however I do not recommend as it ended up being expensive & quite cold as it was delivered.
Chandra Villas was everything I expected - modern, comfortable, excellent service with all the comforts you would expect.
We really enjoyed our stay, however this would probably be our last Villa stay as we prefer the atmosphere & immediate service of a 5star resort, or possibly a Villa within a Resort.
If you are looking for privacy & comfort in Seminyak, you will not be disappointed with Chandra Villas.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Hello bigbirdbrisvegas,

You touched on many topics in your review so I took the liberty of summarizing your comments and separating them into pros and cons.

Pros
Location: Short walk to main street in Seminyak, quiet and safe
Villa Style: Modern & comfortable
Nanny room: Suitable for children
Pool: Great size
Bedrooms: Air-conditioned
Bathrooms: Indoor and outdoor
Breakfast: Prepared in-villa, villa staff made a lovely breakfast every morning
Staff: Friendly, professional & accommodating
Drivers and Security; Extremely friendly & always smiling

Cons
Mosquitoes: very, very bad... Be prepared & bring plenty of spray.
Mosquitos are always worst at the beginning and end of rainy season and you stayed at the end. It's one of the downfalls of holidaying in a tropical climate. we have implemented as many precautionary measures as possible to reduce mosquitos around the villas and complimentary repellent is in every villa but it's good practice to sporadically apply repellent during the day and keep your bedroom doors closed during the day.

Takeaway menu: ended up being expensive & quite cold as it was delivered.
We can control quality and time for in-villa prepared meals but unfortunately the same can't be said for external room service. Although Chandra's external room service menu is extensive and full of the most popular restaurants in Seminyak, sometimes there are delays at the restaurants. It's usually very hot during mid-day so I stay in the villa pool and order in lunch from Bali Bakery. They are quick, inexpensive and consistent.

Private villa vs. resort: Prefer the atmosphere & immediate service of a 5star resort.
Private villas are excellent if you want to shut the world out and relax with no interruptions. Resorts are more social with common areas. Both are great options but cater to different markets. Chandra tries to provide the best of both worlds by providing as many in villas services as possible.

Please don't hesitate to contact myself or any of Chandra's management team if you have any questions - we are always happy to help.