We stayed at Chandra in March 2013 with our 3 year old, another couple and their one year old. Assistance in the booking and lead-up to the visit was great, very professional at all times.
Our villa (villa 9) was just beautiful! The bedrooms, bathrooms, pool and living areas were all stunning and just what we were hoping for. The yard was beautifully presented every day. Breakfast every day was lovely too, with so many options we couldn’t decide and the help with babysitting was just fantastic. We felt very safe at Chandra as well, thanks to the lovely men at security.
The location wasn't great, a long way down a narrow, hot alley and away from anything. OK in a taxi, car or scooter but nothing within walking distance.
Sadly there were a few elements of the stay that really let the villa down. We have stayed in many villas in Bali over the years, and one of the things we like most about choosing a villa instead of a hotel is the personal service, usually from both the reception staff and a villa manager who works regularly with our family, and who we have the opportunity to meet and get to know. Sadly we have no idea who our staff were at Chandra – the staff changed so often, and nobody introduced themselves or tried to build a relationship. I’m not sure if there was a ‘villa manager’, or just staff who worked in different places each day.
The staff were all lovely and polite, but the personal touch was really lacking. Nobody in reception knew us or engaged in a chat. It felt very formal and not at all like Bali.
As a result of the regular change in our villa staff, nobody seemed to take overall responsibility for the villa itself. Housekeeping was inconsistent - for several days we had no hand towels or face washers, our body wash wasn’t refilled at all and our personal tooth brushes were thrown away after one clean. Soap wasn’t re-filled, bins weren’t emptied and we were often left without enough pool towels. The floor mats were missing, making it dangerously slippery on the white tiles when they were damp. Our bedroom air conditioning was switched off on a few days, meaning the rooms were roasting when we returned to put the babies down for their daily sleeps.
I had read a lot online about special touches in the Chandra villas, but we seemed to miss out on them all. Many past guests spoke of cute ‘towel animals’ and really getting to know their villa managers...we didn’t see any of these animals, and none of the staff introduced themselves. The airport transfers were basic, but a cool bottle of water on arrival and the baby seat ready to use would have made a huge difference, especially as they knew babies were arriving with us. This seems to be normal practice at other villas of this standard in Bali.
Finally I was completely stunned by the cost of the laundry service. Every villa I have stayed in has included personal laundry for free, so getting a bill for more than $50 AUD at the end of our stay for two small bags of washing was a big shock. I expected the prices to be quite low, given the nightly rate of the villa.
Overall it was like staying in an expensive villa run by a hotel...which I guess is the case. However this is a real shame, as villas should always be a more personal, home-like option for family accommodation. And if the villa is being run as a hotel, then the standards need to meet those of a hotel – with consistent housekeeping and basics like towels and soap included every day. For $500+ a night, I expected outstanding, seamless service.
A lovely villa to look at, but completely missing the 'heart' of Bali.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury Villas in Seminyak. Situated in the Oberoi area of Seminyak, north of Legian, our two and three-bedroom villas represent the very best in luxury holiday accommodation. You’ll enjoy the independence of your own exquisitely decorated home and the easy-living convenience of maid service, with chef on demand. Relax by your private pool or stroll to any of the local beaches – Seminyak, Petitenget, Gado-Gado or Kudeta.If you’ve been yearning for a Bali villa holiday, Chandra will bring your dream to life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chandra Luxury Villas Bali reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chandra Luxury Villas Bali - By 8 Hotel Seminyak
- Chandra Luxury Villas Bali Seminyak