“Enjoyable, pampered and lazy experience - perfect!”

Chandra Luxury Villas Bali
Sydney
“Enjoyable, pampered and lazy experience - perfect!”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed in Chandra for 5 night which was the perfect amount of time. The pool was massive, with a nice open panned living area - with the rooms spaced out perfectly. Each morning our chef (Made - legend) cooked a quick and easy breakfast that was delicious - from fresh juices, fruit and funny faced pancakes. We tried it all and loved everything. The staff and concierge were overly friendly and went out of their way to ensure our holiday was seamless. On our first night we lost a very important pair of sunglasses in a taxi coming back from town, where the concierge was very patient and effective in trying to track them down. To our joy the next morning they had them delivered to our villa - very thankful! Was in a convenient location for restaurants and offers a free shuttle wherever, whenever. Would be great to stay with a bunch of friends or other couples!

Room Tip: Villa 8 - great living area, massive pool and individual rooms in spacious locations. Villa 3 we sta...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheFlyingFin
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hello TheFlyingFin,

Thank you for taking the time after your stay at Chandra Luxury Villas, part of 8Hotels, to write a review about your accommodation experience.

It was only yesterday I was talking to a guest about how villas are beginning to change in Bali. Seminyak is a very popular destination in Bali and therefore real-estate prices has increased. Most new villas are trying to maximise the available land and therefore are building villas with 2 or 3 levels in order to achieve the same square footage as its competitors. Also, these new villas are opting to forgo a garden in order to have a private pool. Don’t get me wrong, these villas are stunning with beautiful finishes and contemporary designs but what makes Chandra so desirable (especially in the case of villa 8 and 3) is the large garden/pool and one level traditional Balinese design.

Made IS a legend and a valued part of the Chandra team. He has been the butler of villa 8 for years now has done an amazing job with both maintaining the villa and looking after its occupants. He has set a high standard for the other staff to achieve and has become a mentor for new staff members. Thank you for mentioning Made in your review – I will make sure to let him know.

I also had a recent experience of leaving a valuable item in a Bali taxi. Unfortunately too long of time had passed before I realised it was gone and although reception practically called half of Bali in order to track it down, luck was not on my side. It’s good to know that your glasses were found and returned to you.

Whilst I’m on the topic of service, I would like to point out how 5 star in Bali varies form 5 star in other parts of the world. The Balinese culture, influenced by its 80+% Hindu population, has redefined the word hospitality and has found a way to incorporate luxury with a relaxed approach. Although Bali and its citizens over the past 100 years have endured occupation by the Dutch and Japanese, erupting volcanos, acts of terrorism and the loss of most of most of its Royal families, they continue to smile and welcome everyone to their island paradise. Bali’s tourism industry, redefined in the 1930’s, continues to grow. Most recently, an increase of Chinese tourists due to ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) has meant even more traffic to the island with an expected increase of 12% in 2013. Through all these changes, the Balinese level of hospitality remains the same and will continue to entice travellers from all over the world to visit and revisit,

We hope to welcome you back soon to Chandra Luxury Villas and please don't hesitate to contact myself or any of Chandra's management team if you have any questions - we are always happy to help.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Went with hubby& our two young boys. Was impressed with the size of the 2 bedroom villa, absolutely huge. We had our own private pool & a wonderful buffet breakfast cooked every morning. The staff were wonderful. They do tend to spend a long time with you. For example, the chef would come in & cook starting at 7:30am but wouldn't finish breakfast until about 8:30 - 9am. Ten after that he would start cleaning the villa & by the time he had finished it would be around 1or 2pm in the afternoon. So it wasn't very relaxing having someone around you all the time! During this the pool guy would come, setup the daybed with towels it was just too much.
Location was good - still quite a walk to the main strip especially challenging with young kids & scorching heat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Marlenenick36
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Hello Marlenenick36,

Chandra is a perfect place for a family holiday due to many of the attributes you mentioned in your review; the spacious villas, private pool, in-villa prepared breakfast and wonderful staff. Chandra also supplies many free family friendly features: pool fence, baby cot, pram, high chair, car seat, etc. Other features like child minding-service, kids in-villa menu, in-villa family cooking class, in-villa family yoga classes and in-villa swimming lessons are very popular with our family guests.

The staff work very hard to make sure your stay is as comfortable as possible. A suggestion for future Chandra guests and I'm sure this is the case for other luxury villas, whilst you are staying at Chandra, please consider the villa you are staying in as your home. If at any time you want to be alone or need privacy, you may politely ask the staff to leave and they will do so. If you like, the staff will only service your villa whist you are out. It's your home and only you know the exact way you like it. Please keep in mind that maintaining a luxury property involves many staff working continuously to ensure the property remains consistently beautiful.

The walking distance from Chandra's entrance to Seminyak beach is 850 meters...approximately a 10 minute walk. Anyone who has travelled to Bali before will agree the streets and sidewalks (if any) are narrow. That's why scooters are so popular in Bali. I would also be very reluctant to walk the streets with small children; the combination of heat an worrying about your children’s safety would not be relaxing and that is the whole point of a Balinese holiday. I'd recommend using one of Chandra's vans for complimentary drop off around Seminyak or paying the USD 2 for a taxi. Personally, I'd prefer to be a 10 minute walk away from the Seminyak traffic. That 850 distance acts like a barrier and gives you peace, quiet and seclusion from the Seminyak streets/nightlife.

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I spent 4 nights at Chandra with my family in a 3 Bedroom Vilaa and my overall experience was really good.

1) Very nice and friendly staff. Reception was very helpful and they had recommendations for all our requests which were perfect! But on Check-in I did get a scare of the thing I was afraid of. I was promised Villa No. 8 and on check-in the receptionist told me that particular Villa was under maintenance. they gave us Villa No. 9 which was not what we had seen in the Photos. Had a bad start but then upon arguing the GM was kind enough to call and explain the situation. They promised us villa No. 8 the next day and it was ready! Was perfect then.

2) Our Cook and Houseboy Mr. Eka was super hardworking and always with a smile!! He did all that he was asked for and very impressive work.

3) The Villa was neat and clean and so was the Pool. Was Perfect. Very nice contemporary rooms with a beautiful Bed. Only thing that can be improved is the beautiful seating area with the huge Cabins just outside the pool. The mattresses were very dirty and absolutely unusable. Would be difficult to maintain no doubt but hey.. if you are going to provide the facility - should be usable.

4) The shuttle service was always available although on the 1st day on inquiring the receptionist told me that "it will only be available on first come first service as we have only one car" - heck that was bad. as it brings me to the point of Location of this Place. Very good location to KUDETA and POTATO HEAD! It is right next to Oberoi Hotels in Seminyak. Only drawback - its inside from the main road about 1.5 kms. So a long walk every time if you have to head out. Cant do without the Shuttle. Anyways taxis are very cheap just in case you do not get the shuttle. Always go on the meter and you should be fine.

5) The Spa service is average. But really it is a place more focused on Fine accommodation and living. So please dont expect much. My Wife and myself were recommended to Prana Spa by the Reception and it was EXCELLENT! thank you for that!

6) Kuta region with all restaurants and Bars is not very far. 15 minute drive and about 4 USD by Cab. We rented a Bike for 5 USD a day for fun.

Overall a Wonderful Experience and highly recommended for anyone thinking to book this place!

Word of Caution: As any regular Hotel around the World - please be careful of your Money when giving the room for Cleaning. We had around IDR 600 000 missing from our wallet during the cleaning process!

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa No. 8 and was excellent!! Surely Recommended!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Vinit D
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Hello Vinit D,

Your review touches on many aspects of your experience, which I really appreciate and I’m sure enquiring guests do as well.

I apologise for villa 8 not being available for your first night. When you made your reservation, it was available and I promised you could stay there. First of all, I should never promise this because there are situations like last minute maintenance issues that can cause a change in villa allocation. Although we try to be proactive with maintenance projects, things can break without notice, such is life. Chandra’s General Manger emailed you the day before your arrival, cc’ing myself but you must have been in transit.

Eka is a valued member of our Chandra team and is very professional. His smile is contagious, especially first thing in the morning when you sit down to breakfast and you are welcomed with both a beautiful meal and an even more beautiful personality. How could you not smile back?

I believe most guests lay in the cabana after a swim but do not dry off first or leave their wet towels on the mattress. This can cause water marks which do not look very appealing. We change them often but it doesn’t last long. I believe a new material could be a possible solution.

Chandra’s location is one of many highlights. As of January 9th, there is a second full time vehicle for complimentary drop offs. For those who don’t mind walking, the beach is a 10 minute walk if you cut through the Ku De Ta parking lot (or Ku De TA bar and take a rest with a cocktail). Your advice on taxis is correct, always ask for a meter. Most will enforce a minimum charge of IDR 250 000 (approx. USD $2.50), even if the rate is less.

I really appreciate your feedback on the spa service, This is provided by a third party so can be changed. The Management and staff work hard so that nothing about your stay is average. Prana is an exquisite spa and will be considered for future partnership with Chandra.

Although this is the first accusation of theft in the 2 years I’ve been working with Chandra, it’s good practise to keep personal belongings in your villa safe. 24 hour security and high privacy walls help but it’s important to be personally responsible for valuable belongings.

Warm Regards,

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2013

In July 2012 my large family travelled to Bali and stayed in 5 of the 9 villas. We had family come from Australia, Hong Kong, Turkey, Fiji and PNG to be there. As a family we have travelled to some pretty amazing places including Europe, America, Asia, Africa, the Middle East and the Pacific Islands. To date this has been the best holiday I have been on so far all because of the amazing Villas and the staff.

When we arrived at the villas I was seriously ill with what we thought was Bali belly. Straight away I was ushered into a villa and the staff arranged ginger tea and a charcoal tablet (stops vomiting) for me.

We had our 85 year old grandmother and grandkids as young as 13 with us. The Chandra Luxury Villas catered to all of us.

The staff were absolutely fantastic. The villa's were breath taking. It is worth every dollar and I am already planning a trip back in November 2013 with 9 friends!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Harriet M
Hello Harriet M,

I appreciate every Tripadvisor review, especially when they are written by well-travelled guests like you and your family. It's amazing you have the opportunity to travel to all these beautiful destinations with your family. The staff and I feel honoured that your trip to Bali and stay at Chandra has been your best holiday so far.

All 8Hotels properties, including Chandra, focus so much time on training staff and providing the best service possible. There is a balance required when servicing a luxury property; staff must be readily available to help guests without being too imposing. We feel that Chandra's has found that balance as the service is regularly complimented.

Maintenance in a tropical climate such as Bali is always on ongoing project. Chandra's living, dining, kitchen and bathrooms are inspired by traditional Balinese’s design and therefore open to the outdoors. It looks stunning but it comes at a price so Chandra has hired a full time engineer and maintenance staff to ensure the villas are kept to a high standard.

For those who don't know, Bali Belly is similar to gastro. In most cases, rest and lots of fluids is the remedy but more serious cases may need medical attention. I'm glad the staff were able to help you and it didn't ruin your holiday.

Chandra has experienced a notable increase in group, family, anniversary and wedding stays over the past 2 years. Guest referrals and returning guests are major reasons but 8hotels campaign to promote Chandra's spacious, private villas as a venue for events has helped.

November is an excellent time to visit Bali because the temperature is high and the crowds are low.

Please don't hesitate to contact myself or any of Chandra's management team if you have any questions - we are always happy to help.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Thank you to all the beautiful staff at Chandra Luxury Villas for making our stay so enjoyable and to Larry Mullet for making our booking so easy. We spent 5 glorious nights in Villa 1 for my husband's 50th birthday from 29th December 2012 to 3rd January 2013 and from start to finish it was sensational. The breakfasts everyday were amazing, as was our in villa BBQ we had on New Years Eve... so much beautiful food. The villa was so nice and relaxing that we didn't venture out very much at all and the staff were just beautiful. Even the children loved staying at the villa, swimming all day and being taught how to make a new towel animal each day. Chandra Villas are truly amazing and value for money. Helen Puckett Australia

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Hello Helen,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It's always a pleasure to help all guests with their enquiries but you were particularity a pleasure to work with and that makes it all the more enjoyable. I'm fortunate to be based in the 8Hotels head office in Sydney and therefore very accessible to our Australian guests. They often tell me how the reservation process is very easy and it helps having someone local that can answer questions about Chandra/Bali. I also have an AUS toll free number 1800 726 672 so please feel free to call anytime.

I can understand why you and your children rarely left villa 1 during your stay. The villa has an air-conditioned media room for the children, 2 large king rooms, a master bedroom with 4 poster bed/lounge, cabana, 12 meter long pool and a massive living, dining and kitchen. That combined with the chef, butler, maid and pool service, why would you want to leave?

The in-villa BBQ, especially with seafood, is a favourite with guests. The chef's and butlers receive regular training on ways to re-invent Chandra's in-villa menu. I'm honestly salivating as I write this response just thinking about the tender grilled calamari. I don' know how they do it.

Queenstown NZ & Perth Western Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I spent a week at Chandra Villa in Seminyak with my brother over christmas. We had a 2 bedroom Villa with our own pool. The bedrooms are both huge, contemporary and fabulous....each with its own outdoor bathroom....so there was no fighting over who got the best room! Location was good but walking distance to ku de ta and grocer and grind was further than I thought.....via laneways. This on the plus side meant it was lovely and quiet but because it was so hot and humid [being the wet season], I got very hot walking to these places. Chandra will drop you around Seminyak if the vehicle is available. Staff were lovely and breakfast that was cooked for us each morning was better than other Seminyak Villa's I've booked. Will definately return!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Karen P
Hello Karen P,

Christmas is one of 2 peak periods in Bali and you can feel that buzz in the air that goes along with the holidays. Chandra’s 3 bedroom villas are reserved nearly a year in advance and the 2 bedrooms are almost as popular. The 2 bedrooms are located at the back of the property and are very private. You are right, the bedrooms are a mirrored image of each other but you forgot to mention the large walk in closets…just thought enquiring guests may want to know. Other notable characteristics are the deep pool and running water sculptures - the sound of running water is so tranquil it is hard not to relax.

Geographically, Chandra is very close to the beach but due to unorganised Seminyaks streets and laneways (they are getting better), guests have to walk for about 10 minutes to get to Seminyak beach. Chandra has two vehicles onsite that are used for complimentary airport transfers and drop off around Seminyak. Worst case scenario, a taxi to the beach would cost less than USD 1. Grocer and Grind is little further away but well worth it when you get there. Well, I think the fresh produce is worth the walk but the prepared food at Grocer and Grind is average. Chandra’s breakfast is definitely not average. The presentation is fantastic; the intricate ways they slice the local fruit and innovative ways the food is presented…smiley faced eggs and strawberry covered pancakes are personal favourites.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Excellent service communication and care from start to finish!.,
Thankyou in particular to Larry for the initial care with booking and checking out which Villa would suit my mother’s needs. All the staff were fantastic and nothing was too much trouble from security to reception to the grounds staff and then of course our own personal villa manager Gede. I particularly loved the way one person was in charge of our Villa for the entire two weeks (except for his days off and even then we were still very well looked after) I would love to point out a negative even in the slightest way ...but there isn’t one. Gede was our Villa manager, cook, cleaner, friend, but as I spoke to other guests I came to realise that everyone has a “Gede” looking after them.
We were there at the busiest time of the year and if a taxi couldn’t be ordered, if the Chandra car was available they were happy to transport us to areas outside their areas and if not security would go out to main road to get a taxi for us. (Definitely over and beyond)
I must also mention only because of the news with a unfortunate villa incident that this would be unable to happen at Chandra because they have 24 hour security.,.,.(to the extent that my massage lady would have to leave her license with them on arrival)
The fact that we had unlimited pure water also meant that Bali belly was not a problem and Breakfast was just like everything else just perfect!
Our Stay was definitely made more special by the staff at Chandra!
I will definitely be coming back! If anyone wants to request any further details I am happy to answer their questions.

Thanks to everyone
Deb

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 9 which was good because we had taken my mother that has a walking disability..Al...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ChandraManagement, Director of Sales at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Hello Debra P,

I first must add that you were a delight to work with and because you knew exactly what you were looking for in a holiday accommodation, it made it easy for me to find the villa that best suit your needs. The more you research and can anticipate, the less you have to worry about during your vacation - Bali is the perfect place for many activities but worrying isn't one of them.

The Holiday Season is very busy at Chandra and around the island but you would think it was just another regular day for the staff. Their ability to accommodate so many guests, with no hesitation and with smiles on their faces is commendable. When asked by enquiring guests, "What sets Chandra apart from the other villas in Seminyak and why is our rate sometimes higher than our neighbours?", the first thought that pops into me head is "after one night at Chandra they will know why." For a few extra dollars, you will turn just another annual holiday into memories that will last a lifetime.

The safety of our guests is of the upmost importance. Even I have my car checked when entering the villa. Our 4 security guards are friendly, approachable yet take their jobs very seriously. They are also an extension of the reception team and can help in any capacity after 11 PM once the reception desk is closed.

I love your description of the butlers as “Personal Villa Managers” because that is exactly what they are. Their level of service is a big reason why Chandra is a luxury property.

Warm Regards,