“Loved the W”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #19 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed at the W in early August with my 19 year old daughter. We loved the hotel and the service was excellent. We had a wonderful room, the food was very good although expensive like all 5 star hotels. In fact Bali is no longer a cheap getaway if you want to do it well. I would say Thailand is cheaper. You do not need to eat at the hotel, there are plenty of options just outside the gate, what food we did order at the hotel was very good. We used the spa as a treat and it was wonderful, the gym and steam room were good and breakfast was delicious. I loved the look of the hotel and there were always plenty of lounges by the pool. The W is a little further out but we walked into the main shopping strip easily - although watch where you put your feet - there are no footpaths and the traffic is dreadful. Taxis are very cheap if you do not want to walk. We hope to return to the W!

1  Thank Joanne C
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Hello Jo C,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. I am happy to hear that you loved your W experience and found time to enjoy our indulgent treaments at Away Spa.

We do look forward to welcoming you back for your next wow moment at W Bali.

Craig Seaward

Write a ReviewReviews (3,523)

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Perfect location ... Best service .. They have great team .. Especially ( DINO ) he is always smiling .. Helping .. He recommend LOL drink for me ... I like it ... You should try it .. Lol ( non alcohol drink )

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Aziza A
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Hello Aziza A,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. I am delighted to hear that you experienced the wow factor. I will pass your comments onto Dino.

We look forward to welcoming back upon your next visit to W Bali!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

One of the best hotel experiences.

The W Bali really impresses with its stunning, modern and quirky interior, although it is perhaps not what you would initially expect of a Balinese hotel. The detail they have gone into is truly amazing. Lovely pool area with plenty of sun loungers and sun beds, foot massages available by the pool, lots of helpful staff around to cater to every need. Gorgeous stretch of beach right in front of you, and all the happening bars (Potato Head, Ku De Ta etc) just a few minutes stroll away.

Rooms are spacious and beautifully laid out, with sun roofs in some of the rooms. Gym has all the basics for a holiday workout, and leads into the amazing Away spa. Away is priced higher than many others you can find outside of the W, but worth a session (or five!). The staff are very well-trained, the ambience is serene, there is a bar for refreshments after your treatment, and you really walk away feeling refreshed. Woo bar is lovely at night (find the comfy pink bean bags at the beach front and watch the 12 foot waves while you sip a cocktail), Starfish Bloo the seafood restaurant is yummy with good value, and the foie gras and wagyu beef pizza is very delicious at Fire.

The most amazing this about this place are the staff. I will not be able to express how lovely, helpful and knowledgable the employees at the W are. They truly made our stay. You would have to stay there to experience it yourself.

Booking my next trip now!

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are worth the extra USD75 per night.
1  Thank iamdrdrea

Hello Stylesetter8,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. I am happy to hear that you experienced the wow factor and level of service culture that I would expect during your stay with us. I will pass your comments back to our team, they will be delighted to hear that they assisted in making your stay a memorable one.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to W Bali soon.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

First off, let me start off this review by saying that this was a stay for 2 redemption nights so it is technically free which is great for a room that supposedly cost USD 500 upwards a night.

This is a long review which I have broken up into subsections. Please skip to the conclusion if it is too much. :)

I have not had much experience with the SPG chain of hotels as my own hotel membership is with the IHG. However, as we had to be in Bali for a family wedding, my father who is a SPG platinum member decided to use his points as well as his suite nights for a free room. He had stayed when it first opened and it was fine.

Bear in mind that this reservation had been made more than 2 months in advance. The day prior to the trip, he was advised that there were no suites available and that they would try to upgrade the room to the next level. Fair enough, we thought, after all, they should know what to do for the SPG members of a higher tier.

As I had arrived earlier in the morning and had to meet friends in the Seminyak area, my father asked for me to check in on his behalf at the hotel so that I could leave my belongings. My own reservations were at the Jimbaran area which was further away and I did not want to be stuck in bad traffic both ways.

My father won't be bothered to leave a review but I felt I should for other SPG members thinking of doing redemptions. While redemption guests might not have to pay for the rooms, there is a limit to what can be tolerated and what is absolutely ridiculous. There are other incidentals that we still have to pay for so it isn't really free. Also, some frequent travellers literally spend half their lives in hotel rooms to earn these points to they should be rewarded appropriately for their loyalty to any hotel chain.

I am basing my comparisons on other beach resort stays I have had at the Intercontinental Koh Samui, Hua Hin and Bali to make it fair. Actually, the W Seminyak is at a higher price point so it should be better, yes?

1. Check In

Check in was smooth and the Director of HR met me to show us around the premises. As we were too early for check in, she brought us for some refreshments. Check in was earlier than I expected so that was good.

2. Room

(a) View

The room was .... Well, let's just say if we had to pay for it, I would be MOST upset. The garden view is the view of the coconut tree tops. I mean, I am Singaporean. If I wanted to see that, I could have stayed home so yeah, if you are paying for the room, top it up for the ocean view if you can.

(b) Room Location

The room assigned was the first room after the lift landing which is fine if the rooms were more soundproof. However, this was not the case so we could hear people going up and down and kids crying and screaming late at night.

After my comments on the room he had been assigned, my father decided to use my room in Jimbaran instead of coming to the W especially. The W rooms controller had earlier confirmed that the only other room available was one on the ground floor. Between the devil and the deep blue sea so I stuck with what I had.

(c) Amenities and Maintenance

The room was on the highest floor so there was a cool roller blind that could open up the bathroom ceiling to let natural light in. A gimmick I could do without. Will prefer to have good water pressure instead. The open concept bathroom is huge, taking up half the room. Nice toiletries provided.

What was surprising for me is the maintenance of the hotel. While furniture might not yet be falling apart, there is some room for improvement given W's status. Carpentry is chipped, upholstery has buttons ripped off, ants crawling all over the coffee table (absolutely disgusting as there were so many of them and I had to kill them and call Housekeeping)... All this leading me to wonder if it was the quality of furnishings used or the type of clientele it attracts and where in the world are the professional pest controllers? Very strange.

(d) In Room Dining

Too tired to go out for dinner so I ordered in. Had a prawn ravioli which was quite obviously microwaved because parts of it remained cold. Wasn't nuked properly. Sigh, the W mottto of "whenever, whatever" was not working out for me. It seemed to be 'Whatever' the whole way for me so far.

2. Hotel grounds

It is the week after Ramadan so it is understandable that the hotel will be more crowded. It is fully occupied making the pool and beach areas quite busy. Also, I think a lot of non staying visitors come for the bars and restaurants so it is a very busy hotel.

I remember reading another TA review that mentioned the number of random people walking around the premises. I must say that it is not as exclusive as it is made out to be so if you prefer peace and quiet, this is not it.

Not for me but overall, very hip and very cool. A place to be see and be seen if you care for it.

3. Staff

The Balinese, very much like the Thais are very hospitable people by nature. They are always nice, so much so that it has become the norm to be expected. The W staff, while commendable for always being cheery and chirpy, is what we can expect of any Balinese so no surprises there.

Conclusion:

If you are planning to use your points for the room, do it during a non peak season otherwise you might be assigned a room that will not meet expectations.

If you are paying, then avoid the Garden View rooms. The price you will pay for the Garden View room is better spent on a private villa or another resort elsewhere unless you want the 'glitz' of staying at the W.

Disappointing to say the least.

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room. The garden view ones are a complete waste of time.
1  Thank mad4bags

Hello Mad4bags,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your Tripadvisor comments. It’s always good to receive open balanced feedback, and as your father is a Starwood loyal SPG member, this review and my reply will help other members expectations.

SPG loyal guests make up a significant part of of our business at the Retreat and we do allocate all of our SPG Platinum Ambassador guests there’re own Ambassador at property level to take care of them during these stay. Linda the Director of Human Resources who met you on arrival, and on a daily basis, was your father’s allocated Ambassador, and took on the role and reaching out daily to gauge your expectations and experiences.

SPG Platinum benefits are somewhat different at Retreat hotels as upgrades are subject to availability on day of arrival, as are guaranteed late check outs. Suite night awards are only rejected if there is no suite available prior to the day of arrival, and the best available rooms are then allocated. Unfortunately this applies irrespective of how far in advance you book the room. In most cases we do extend an upgrade to SPG Platinum guests to an Ocean Facing Retreat, if suits are not available, but again this subject to availability on arrival, and on your arrival day the hotel was fully booked giving us no opportunity to upgrade the room.

4th and 5th floor rooms do have an enhanced room feature of the natural skylight, but these can be closed off for further privacy as needed. We do call these room types Garden View Retreats and they do look out at a garden with palm trees, but being on the 4th floors your will see the tops of the palm trees as part of the view. Our showers are considered to be rain showers and not high pressure showers, but we do respect that some guests prefer the latter.

With it being Idul Fitri and the W Bali being a family retreat, there are a lot of kids on property and we respect that there is a fine balance between those guests who come here to let the kids enjoy the facilities, and those guests that want it to be a kids free or quiet zone. Outside guests are allowed to use of restaurant and bar facilities, as we do provide additional dining choices to the surrounding restaurants in the Seminyak area, but outsiders may not use the swimming pools. We are not an exclusive residents only property, as this is not part of the W concept.

Whilst we do have an aggressive pest control and ant baiting program in place, being in the tropics does present an ongoing challenge and we will certainly need to re-treat your room as it appears it needs additional baiting. I can reassure you that we do microwave any food in the Retreat, but I will take your comments up with the Director of Cuisine s there is no reason that food is not served at the correct temperature.

Your review has been very helpful, not only for me, but for other guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post it.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is a great hotel that lives up to it's 5 star status. I love i ethos with fun and tongue in cheek being a huge part of everything to do with this hotel, from the paty pack in room rescue kits, to the amazing rock star spa treatments, and over the top cocktails by the pool.

The staff are friendly as you would expect and the food in all the restauants was great! If you are looking for a hotel with personality, the W has it all! i would recommend it for those who are young or young at heart!!

Room Tip: The beach facing rooms have a great view, as long as you don't mind a bit of music coming up fro...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jill H
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Hello Jill H,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your W Bali experience and the ethos of the brand.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another wow experience.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

What a fantastic place! Our room -- be sure to request oceanfront, the "garden view" rooms look out on a few trees and some utilitarian utility buildings -- was absolutely magificant. The view of the ocean and the resort amenities, including the pulsating lights at night, was unbelievable. The bed was amazingly comfortable, with fantastic pillows and blankets. The room was large.

The facility was superb. Tastefully modern, lots of very comfortable sofas to sit outside and look down at the pool/beach if you wanted to be out of the sun. Excellent breakfast buffet with sushi, great black sticky rice/blanced almonds/coconut milk, local fruits, freshly squeezed OJ and strong coffee. Young but not boisterous crowd. The setup of the pool area was fantastic, and it was beautiful to look at even if you didn't go into the water, ditto the magnificant beach with very strong, but beautiful, waves.

Staff was super-helpful in every way. I asked them if they had Vicky Baum's 1937 novel Life and Death in Bali (a great book to complement a Bali experience by the way); they didn't, and they proceeded to buy me a copy at a local bookstore and have it on my bed on arrival.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront view!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SteveKelman

Hello SteveKelman,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback.

I am happy to hear that you had a fantastic experience at W Bali. It does sound like you found the time to enjoy our restaurants and bars and whatever/whenever service culture.

We do look forward to welcoming you back for your next Wow experience!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have been going to the Woobar to have a shisha every night for past 2 weeks. The type of water pipe and flavors they have are the best I've seen anywhere in the world. The brand is called Meduse and they are hand-blown bohemian glass water pipes that can be filled with different fruit to accentuate the flavor. Our favorite is Mango Boy, which is mango/peach tobacco filled with strawberries and mango. Although the shisha is incredible, it's the service that keeps us coming back. Gita, the shisha man, makes the experience worth the extra money. Gita always makes sure we are taken care of whether we need coals when they start the diminish or the attention of a server for drinks. Taking the extra second to make sure we are enjoying our time there makes us look forward to coming for sunset almost everyday! The music and crowd are also fun and hip, combined with the location on the ocean, it's a great place to watch the sunset.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claire G

Hello Claire G,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay.

I am happy to hear that enjoyed your Woobar experience. The shisha pipes are a new offering at Woobar and it's fantastic to hear that guests are enjoying them and adding to the atmosphere.

We do look forward to welcoming you back for more beats, indulgent cocktails and shisha pipes at the ready.