“Not quite a W experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak

W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #19 of 135 Hotels in Seminyak
singapore
“Not quite a W experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed with my spouse in Feb this year for 4 nights in the Garden room. I had gone to W Bali with rather high expectations, partly because of all the hype about W hotels around the world and also because I've stayed in W Retreat Maldives previously. My experience at W Retreat Maldives was absolutely fantastic, flawless in fact. So you can see why I had great expectations for W Bali.
Firstly lets share about the Wows:
The grounds of the retreat is definitely something to WOW about. Modern yet inviting with bright colours scattered around the retreat to give guests a welcoming warm feel to the resort. The pool area is really nice, a great place to bathe in the sun and while away the day. Staff were all smiles and friendly all the time, though they did always seem to be busying off somewhere. The retreat also provides a shuttle buggy for guests from the lobby to the entrance of the resort. When you are at the entrance, there's usually a buggy there waiting for any guests to return to the retreat. However if there's no buggy waiting, you can always ask the security to call a buggy out for you. My garden room was huge and nicely done up with whites and greens. My room was on the 1st floor, with a balcony that opens out into a "garden". Very comfortable room, with a vast toilet / shower area. Complimentary Wireless internet is provided throughout the resort and in the room, which always fast and reliable. Location of the retreat was definitely ideal. It was close to all the shopping in Seminyak and there were lots of small cosy cafes within walking distance to W Retreat. A couple of the cafes I enjoyed were The Petitenget (about 5-10 mins walk from retreat), The Junction (we took a cab to get there cos we were just too lazy to walk) and Sea Circus (also 5-10 mins walk). During my stay we had 2 days of rain, on one of the days when the rain was too heavy to walk outside we decided to spend the morning in the gym. Their gym provides machines as well as free weights and was of a good size. I enjoyed my workout there. The gym also provides complimentary beverage for guests working out. After my workout I tried their indoor cold/hot bath as well as their steam room, these amenities were complimentary for all retreat guests. Also during my stay I managed to get a facial done at the retreat's spa, only because between 11pm to 9am there's a 25% discount on all treatments.
Now for the not-so-WOWs
My room being a garden room was facing the "garden". Not much of a garden view if you ask me, it was just a patch of grass in front of the room facing the wall of the resort and with a clear view of a construction site just beyond the walls. But I did not let this bother me very much as I was not in my room most of the time during the stay there, I was either out shopping or at the pool. But one thing that did bother me was the presence of ants in the balcony and in the room as well. Perhaps because my room was on the ground floor there were quite a bit of ants in the balcony which was understandable. However I can't accept having ants in my room, especially in a 5 star resort such as W. Coffee cups and can drinks can't be left on the coffee making station or even by the sink as ants will soon invade them. I did not bother to complain about this to the resort as I didn't want to have to move rooms or have the staff come in with pesticides and what nots. So I just lived with the ants and conducted my daily "killing" spree. Secondly though housekeeping was thorough in tidying up with room and toilet and clearing up the table top in my balcony, I do not think they actually clean the floor of the balcony (not too sure about the room and toilet floors) as after they come in to tidy up I can still find the same scrap (leaf, grass, branch, etc) on the balcony floor. It is definitely not advisable to walk out onto the balcony without your flip flops. They also definitely do not wipe down the cushions in the balcony, the same blobs of lizard poo on the first day were still there on my last day. Also I think the cushion covers in the balcony are due for a change or some deep cleaning as there are quite abit of stains on them, which gives me quite uncomfortable to lie on the cushions. So suffice to say, the balcony area was definitely not my relax corner for the stay. My next disappointment was the amenities provided by the retreat. Firstly the bliss toiletries provided in room was minute compared to what was provided at the W Maldives. The tiny bottles of toiletries were more like sample size. When I went to the W Shop at the retreat to buy a bottle of their shower gel, I realised that the bottle they were selling was the same size as that provided complimentary at the W Maldives. I wonder why the difference in standard, considering both are under the W brand and both using the same Bliss products. Secondly pool service. At any 5 or 6 stars resorts that I've stayed at (eg Ayana @ Jimbaran), the basic pool side amenities would be cold towels and complimentary bottles of cold mineral water which W Bali did not provide. If you wanted a bottle of mineral water you'd have order it from the beverage menu (this was verified by the pool side staff when I asked for a bottle of cold mineral water), needless to say I was surprised by this as such service would be deemed basic for a resort that's marketing itself as a luxury resort.
Would I be back at W Retreat & Spa Bali? For the location, yes. For the W experience, no.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank babykhoo
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hello babykhoo,

Many thanks for your trip Advisor comments and sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the overall W Bali experience this time round because of your wet deck experience and the other mentioned issues.

We certainly value our return customers and your opinion is very important to us. I do hope that if you return to visit us you will make our talent aware of any issues with ants so that this can be dealt with as swiftly as possible.

The Bliss products offered are smaller samples and are refilled on a daily basis. Cold towels are bottled water are available upon request at WET and we do assure that our WET attendants do fulfill our guests requests.

We will ensure that we review your comments and keep our house guests as top priority in future and prevent any further issues.

Please do reach out to us on your next visit so we can personally look after your stay and assure you receive the W experience.

Craig Seaward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at W's one bedroom pool villa for 5 nights early March for our honeymoon.

Couldn't fault a thing with the hotel - the room was great. Everyone was very polite and helpful. Basically EVERYTHING is awesome. But it's our honeymoon (and the hotel didn't go the extra mile to make it special for us) And we were kind of expecting small nice little touches from the hotel (maybe we were mis-informed where normally you get extras like cakes, card, choc etc. when you're on your honeymoon). Of course, no obligation from the hotel side to do it.

Overall a very pleasant stay and would love to be back. Just that sometimes it feels too commercialise and it loses the personal touch that you see everywhere else in Bali.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Hello bunnyinwhaleland,

Many thanks for your TripAdvisor comments and sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the overall W Bali experience this time.
We certainly value our return customers and your opinion is very important to us, I will look into the reason you did not receive our honeymoon amenities and I can only apologise for this.

We do hope you will return to W Bali on your next trip.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just spent a week in this absolutely luxurious hotel. We stayed in a 1 bedroom pool villa and definitely recommend it, having our own pool to relax by was wonderful.
The service all the staff provide at the hotel are amazing. For example, our airline forgot to send our bags to Bali, so the hotel (without us asking) provided us with clean t-shirts/tooth brushes so we can clean up. They are sorted out exactly where our bags are, and sped up the airline process so we got them much sooner.
Also the food/service in Starfish Bloo for breakfast was a treat, the staff remembered our preferences and seem genuinely interested to help us. Such a different experience than what we normally experience in Europe.
Also ate for dinner in both Starfish and Fire. Would recommend both of the restaurants, I personally preferred the food in Fire, but being able to sit and watch the waves crash in Starfish added an unique edge.
Would recommend for you to take advantage of the cocktail sunset happy hour as this leads into our only compliant at the resort. The price of the food/drinks were a little over the top. If staying at the resort for a while do go out and experience the local restaurants/bars as well, as you will save a lot of money and experience different foods. Would recommend Biku for lunch and Sarong for dinner both around 2min walk from the hotel entrance.
However the food/drink prices didn't really put us off, they are pretty much the same as any London restaurant just be aware that things are cheaper outside.

Would 100% recommend the W, and really can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear browa161,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at W Bali.

I am delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations. It does sound like you received the standard of service that I would expect from my team.

I am glad you found the time to experience our restaurants and venues as well as the other great choices within Seminyak.

We look forward to welcoming you back for more relaxing and indulging times.

ENGLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The one-bedroom villa was very good and the swimming pool was well-maintained. Room was nicely designed - modern style rather than Bali style so depends on what you are looking for. Spacious bathroom/dressing room and branded toiletries (sufficient size of BLISS products that did not need any restoring during our 4 nights stay). Staff were friendly and efficient - especially the ones at the Starfish restaurant serving breakfast. A very nice touch worth mentioning... the hotel offers this naturally home made mosquito spray in the room and even at their restaurant (Woodfire if I remember correctly) - I cannot say more thank you for that, from someone that has always been suffered from mosquito "attacks".

Nothing in particular that made me feel unforgettable, but generally I found the more one travels the harder it is to find a hotel that you are satisfied with everything... Yet W Hotel in Bali managed to offer that and lives up to its good reputation, I think the GM should be proud of his/her professional team of staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello QQ-LITTLE,

Thank you for sharing your comments on your stay with us.

It's with great pleasure that I read your comments. It does assure me that our talent are providing the standard of service I would expect.

We do look forward to welcoming you back for more relaxing times at W Bali.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We arrived during the W's 2nd Anniversary party complete with bright lights, fashion parade, DJs playing and lots of well dressed party goers. It was a scene to rival some of the best clubs in the world. Our room was modern and equipped with all the luxury you desire. The W is a hotel well worth a visit for those that like the finer things in life. We found it quite affordable for the luxury, great service in all areas, all restaurants, bars and by the pool. The day beds by the pool are beautiful and relaxing and free for guests whereas for the same experience at Potato Head the neighboring beach club you need to spend US$50 to secure a day bed! The ice bar is also a must for sunset again free for guests and almost as good as Rock Bar the no. 1 spot for sunset in Bali and a 50 minute drive. The W has established itself with a variety of bars and restaurants you don't need to leave the hotel. It can be a little noisy at times we could here the big heavy doors near our room bang in the mornings but the music from the bars couldn't be heard. As for location we found it perfect a 15-20 minute walk to Seminyak square or a $2 taxi ride. Taxis are so cheap we went to Ubud and back in an afternoon - about 2 hours away and to Jimbaran bay about 1 hour away by taxi. The W was the perfect location to come back to after a day out or to spend the day hanging around the pool.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kelly W
Hello KellyW,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to join us in celebrating our 2nd Anniversary happening. It's events such as this which makes W Bali such a unique experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bali and rest assured it won't be the last happening of 2013!

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed at the W for 6 nights in February and had the time of our lives. I have to start by speaking about the staff who were the best you could ask for. Every staff member we saw and/or spoke to were so friendly and went out of their way to make you feel special. For example, for our wedding anniversary we had dinner at Starfish Bloo, where we were not only treated to amazing food, but a special anniversary desert, which included a photograph being taken of us together. The very next day, we were chased down by a staff member (sorry, forgot your name) who presented us with a framed copy of the photo of us. Amazing.

Although you never felt that staff were on top of you, someone was always there when you wanted another drink by the pool or lounge, or when you needed fresh towel. They were just so personable and made us feel so relaxed and comfortable.

I could go on for ever about the staff, as they really made our trip, but I also have to talk up the resort itself. We stayed in a garden view room with sea glimpse, which was lovely. Everything was clean and the room was serviced perfectly everyday. If there was anything further we needed, it was brought up soon after requesting it. The pool was magnificent, the landscaping etc just as good. The breakfast in Fire restaurant was great, everything you could possibly need for breakfast and friendly service to match.

The location fantastic, with a short taxi ride to most things and a relaxing walk along the beach to great bars/restaurants such as Potato Head, La Lucciola etc.

Our stay was ended with a number of staff presenting my wife with a beautiful gift from them complete with a card with personal handwritten messages from staff members to us. What a final touch from such beautiful people.

I could write all day about our experience but will simply say that although expensive to stay at, you won't regret it and it's worth every cent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Jimrez,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on W Bali.

I am delighted to hear that our talent made sure an impact and you received the level of service culture I would expect from our team. I will pass your comments onto our talent.

It does sound like you found the time to enjoy the colourful playground of Seminyak and all is has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bali for another Wow experience.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We chose this place for our wedding. Everything went prefect! They even went out looking for a special type of flower for my wife during a public holiday of Bali! Whatever Whenever really! One thing to specially mention, we book a daily tour to temple, the trip was about 1 hour in temple and driver and car waiting outside. When we goes back, the driver was waiting at front gate of temple for us STANDING and greet us within seconds him saw us (Drivers from other hotels were all seating somewhere)! Recommended to all my friends.

Room Tip: Try their afternoon cakes! Very nice! Limited time only.