“Fabulous anniversary getaway”

Ranked #18 of 146 Hotels in Seminyak
Sydney, Australia
“Fabulous anniversary getaway”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I have just spent 5 days at the fabulous W Retreat Bali , it is a quiet haven with everything you could want. We stayed in a private 1 bedroom villa with our own pool. The staff were the friendliest most helpful people you could meet. Every person we met went out of their way to make our stay memorable .The gorgeous staff at Starfish Bloo restaurant made breakfast a pleasurable experience, especially Dwi the wonderful hostess and Partha our delightful waiter, they were so friendly and attentive we could not resist going back for lunch and dinner on our last day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KandD25
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Hello KandD25,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W Bali. I am very touched to hear that we made your stay so memorable on such a special occassion.

It is certainly our pleasure to meet guests and do our best to make you feel comfortable. I will pass your kind comments onto our team which will no doubt add an even bigger smile to their faces.

Craig Seaward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 2, 2012

After I read a report from someone who had stayed previously I was slightly concerned by the supposed attitude of the staff and the place in general. Having stayed there for three days I can only assume that said author was perhaps from a competitor hotel.
Firstly, the place itself is stunning. The driveway alone conjures up feelings of passed country mansions with long winding drives. On getting to reception we were dealt with efficiently. The idea that we needed to be shown to our room as suggested by a previous author is perhaps understandable but I am sure that most folks can find their own way around. The room was spectacular in every sense. Beautifully designed with a sumptuous walk in shower and stunning bath. The little touches in the room really made the difference such as the amzing lamp shades and skylight in the bath area.
Yes there was Fiji water left by the sinks that had to be paid for (slightly cheeky positioning perhaps by the hotel) but this was clearly labelled and there were free bottles available in the room and more on request. The cocktails were out of this world especially the beetroot moito and although a little expensive, were well worth it.
The standard of service from the staff was excellent and I would say if anything slightly too friendly but I will never complain about that!! Food was excellent and the quirky coffee mug idea at breakfast was one of the many unique ideas that the people at W have come up with.
Lastly, my wife and I had a Spa treatment which was out of this world and something well worth booking up.
So in conclusion, the hotel itself is stunning, the staff courteous to a tee and the F&B section top notch.
Thank you to all at the W for a perfect weekend away with my long suffering wife. You made it a weekend to remember.

Room Tip: Obviously a sea facing is the best option but the partial view is fine as long as you get a room on...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Paul669,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us at W Bali. I am extremely happy to hear that you loved the atmosphere in the hotel.

The design narrative does make our property truly unique and I am glad that you got to experience that.

There is a special vibe to the hotel when the bars are buzzing and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it too.

I look forward to welcoming you again for maybe another amazing spa treatment!

All the best,

Concord, California
Reviewed December 2, 2012

What a wonderful place to relax! The grounds are beautiful - and right on the beach. The people working at the W really made my stay special. All are gracious and very much want to make your stay thoroughly enjoyable. Especially the folks in the Fire restaurant. I was traveling alone so it was nice to feel taken care of. They recognized me after the first day and were always there to greet me by name. I had some great conversations with them. These personal touches really set this resort apart from others. And the food was wonderful!

The pool is beautiful and the lounge chairs comfy. Definitiely look at this property on the hotel website to see some of the beautiful photos of the grounds. There are large chairs/day beds with coffee table books scattered around. They looked like very interesting reading - but I did not have time with all the other things to do!

Great outdoor bar, seating area and DJ at night!

I took advantage of the spa and had a massage. OMG! Wonderful!

The room I had was a garden view and was very large and comfortable. The bathroom was very modern as was the lighting in the room ("mood lighting" where the door knobs light up and there is recessed lighting throughout the room!).

The concierge service has several day trips you can purchase. I tried the snorkeling/diving in Tulamben on the east side of the island. It was a 2-hr drive but a great way to see some of the island. Dove at a wreck of a WWII cargo ship just offshore.

Taxis are abundant to take you anywhere. The staff will get a taxi for you if one does not show up on its own! Shopping is good in Kuta, just down the road by taxi.

The security is very visible and thorough for vehicles coming onto the property - which I liked. Even for folks coming off the beach on to the property. There was no indication that any security was needed, but I felt very comfortable knowing that it was there.

The surf is a bit strong for swimming in the ocean in front of the hotel, but you can take a short taxi ride to Kuta beach a couple miles away for swimming and surfing.

I stayed at the W because a friend recommended it. It was everything and more than I expected from his glowing recommendation!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hello Laurie R,

Many thanks for your feedback on your stay with us.

I am extremely happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. It makes me proud to hear that our talent impressed you with our service culture and that this has been recognized.

I look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy some more rockin nights at WOOBAR and some indulgent treatments at AWAY SPA.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

When we first arrived at the resort the checkin girl gave me two packets of towel fresheners. I looked at these unfriendly plastic packaging and thought "oh no.,fast servicefast food". The seafacing room was large and fitout was very modern with very pleasing color coordinations. That night we rolled into the very comfy bed with fresh crisply ironed white linen and 3 dishes of colorful lollies, m n m and fruit gummies. Yum! Next morning we walked into the breakfast dining room called the Fire. The waiters and waitresses greeted us with open arms and big sunshine smiles. Inside there was an impressive spread of international cuisine. The waiters and waitresses run around everyone making sure they got their every desires from the seat location and type of chair you want , your choice of coffee or tea cup to what you want to eat or drink of course. There was one particular young man named Dino who would pay everyone every attention to detail! Not sure how he remembers but he is almost bionic going to every table in his section and asking if the guests would like to order the "fruit shooter" they loved the day before. He even knows when it is the guests' first or last breakfast at the resort. My memory of the packaged freshener seem suddenly of a distant past. W RETREAT is all about personal service with a personal touch! we spent 5days here and on the last day today i already planned to come back to stay very very soon. p.s. The other restaurants here are also excellent with great food . The pool is gorgeous to dip in even for a non swimmer like me . P.s.s. We have been to alot of hotels all over the world. I cant fault this place!

• Stayed December 2012
Hello Perert,

Many thanks for your feedback.

I am so pleased to hear that your partner experienced a wonderful birthday here. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed a lovely comfy time in our suite and were able to soak up the great atmosphere in our restuarants & bars.

I shall pass your comments onto Dino who no doubt will be very happy that he exceeded in Wowing you.

We will look forward to your next visit and welcoming you back.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Asked for the best room at no extra charge and got it room 538 on top floor,with a moving skylight,and full panoramic ocean view.
Okay lets get this straight this is an expensive place to stay,but you cannot take your plasma tv with you when you go,so for once enjoy yourself and indluge,and there are plenty of ways of keeping the extra spending down,eat out for example,but for the perfect base to chill and party and be treated like royalty,nothing was too much,one top tip is ask for 3 litres of bottled water to be delivered to your room everyday free of charge instead of paying for it.
This was off season,hence why woobar was quiet,but full season and woobar will be rocking,whilst on about music this hotel has the best ever chillout/dance vibe going,no excuse is small enough for a set of decks to be cranked up,but always in proportion to the time of day and vibe but the hotel was 70% full on average,and the service was faultless,the staff every last one of them were a credit to the w.
If you are looking for a designer hotel,ultra modern with lighting effects to die for,great beach front location,within a 10 min walk from seminyak and good shopping and 5 star restaurants,then this is the place for you.
Any negatives, maybe two,room sevice need to learn to clean glass ,and the other is to have access to uk premier league matches via sky sports,and thats it,oh one more,we had a couple of eat in,s,and our meals were delivered just a degree or two above cold,not good this,not for a true 5 star,and i am sure chef would do his nut if he knew,and brought this up with the manager which i am sure he will sort....do not eat at potatoe head,and go to the deck for quality steaks,if you do eat in fire like we did a couple of times it will cost you ,but you will get the very best food ever.
The bed sleep quality was top dollar,and the noisy breakers which are constant ,just added to the vibe of bali...you soon get used to it,and make your holiday stay here complete
So would we come back....ABSOLUTLY,and i am definitly not easy to please
Thank you so much to all the staff,one word to sum up my stay....WOW!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello misseegto,
Thank you for your feedback.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am sorry to hear about the issues which you experienced. I would also like to apologise that the service levels which you received from Inrtreat dining. Of course I will bring this to the attention of our Director of Cuisine, who will brief his team.

We look forward to inviting you back to a happening night at WOOBAR.

All the best,

Criag Seaward
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Pros:
- New beachfront hotel with good outdoor ambience (e.g. the pools are nicely located and designed between the hotel and the beach)
- Good location in Seminyak. Steps away from some hip spots in Seminyak (potato head, la luciola, etc)
- Great service. Staff are friendly, smiley and helpful
- I like the fact that the room is quite conservative in terms of design, especially considering that this is W hotel that is known for their funky modern design

Cons
- Nothing in particular. However, I noticed that the building/material quality is probably not too good. For instance, some of the fittings in my bathroom are loose already

Room Tip: Ocean view, of course. But I guess you would have to pay a lot..
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello Eas_Bandung,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I am very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us. I am glad you had the time to experience the delights in our propety and also in the surrounding area.

I have noted your constructive comments regarding the bathroom fittings which I will review with my engineering team.

W Bali looks forward to seeing you again.

Best wishes,

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. My room was on 4th floor, facing the garden and the bathroom has the skylight, which makes it very bright and airy. It was spacious, bed was very comfortable, great lighting and very cold air-con, which is what you need in Bali :)

Also loved breakfast at Fire. Best hotel breakfast ever! Selection was not too wide, but they made it up in quality. Just love it! The wait staff were very efficient, it was always busy when I had my breakfast, but they were very attentive, always paying attention if you need more coffee or juice or whatever.

The lounge area at lobby was very airy and comfortable, plenty of rocking chairs and sofa, with wonderful view to the beach.

Great place to unwind in Bali.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello IvyVa,

Thanks for your feeback on youe stay with us.

It's great to hear our wonderful treat exceed your expectations.

I will pass your comments onto our team in FIRE who will be delighted with your words.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another unwind session.

Best wishes,