“A very happening and upscale hotel in Bali”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #19 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed in the hotel for 2 nights, Ocean facing room and the view is absolutely gorgeous! Staffs are everywhere around the hotel compound, always on the lookout in case any hotel guest has any needs, very attentive, helpful, and English speaking. Lots of variety for breakfast and you may choose your own mug for your coffee or tea.
If you don't plan to rent car, do not worry, there are plenty of restaurants/ cafes/ bars within walking distance.
It is a family friendly hotel as well. They have activities in the morning around 10am for children such as sand playing.
It is a hip hotel with music playing by the pool during day time, not the kind of quiet resort type. We totally enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,523)

Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

If you want to feel at home, this is the place! Nice venue, great DJ, cocktails - would recommend to stay away from cocktails of the day ad they seem to are very weak in alcohol! A nice venue to chech out though!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

We were staying next to W in a villa and wanted to come by and take a tour around the resort, as we were already planning the next trip. After the wonderful experience with W Retreat on Koh Samui, I was excited to see how nice this W looks from the outside. So, I wrote an e-mail to the hotel, asking if they've got a villa available for show-around. On Samui, there was no problem with that - their GM quickly responded and invited us. We saw a villa, had a drink in the bar, then bought some souvenirs from their shop and went home.
But this time, three days passed and still no answer.
When we walked by the beach yesterday, we decided to come and get a little rest near the bar, have some drinks etc. But their security refused to let us pass, saying only the guests can walk in from the beach. I have encountered this kind of attitude neither in other Starwood property, nor in other Asian countries (Vietnam, Thailand, China and Malaysia). I don't think that it's typical for Bali. This is not a question of hospitality, but a management attitude towards the guests, that reflects in staff's behavior.
Now I think that the absense of response to my e-mail is the same problem with poor management. If we don't stay or don't buy anything - the hotel is not interested. I wonder what if I send them a reservation enquiry - will they answer promptly or still ignore it?

Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Thefall
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was surprising to get my welcome drink alone LoL. Well, it was cured after enjoy the nice room and nice shower. It has beautiful gazebos close to the beach and pool then you can enjoy the ocean views or pool views. It has also nice and comfortable sunbathing chairs close to the pool. The pool location is exactly in the center of everything like Lounges and bars. I love to have the cocktails there especially while enjoying sunset i was drinking it. First cocktail i had is Mugito. In the evening i prefer to had dinner at "Star Fish" Lounge. The oyster was fresh and amazing! the grilled lobster was fresh and fantastic. Easy to had the lobster coz it had been separated in to two. The dessert was very beautiful. I had lavender cream brulee. The day after it, i had roast pecking duck pizza at "Fire Lounge". When i had lunch at "Star Fish Lounge", i had a beautiful buffet. All the foods were fresh and beautiful. I were having it while enjoying a nice live music there. It tasted amazing. I love to had spa there. The architecture was minimal and futuristic. The massage was fantastic. I got everything i want there. Now i'm missing "W".

Room Tip: Corner close by the ocean is nice coz you can see the pool and ocean
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2012

we have stayed at many leading resorts and hotels in Bali and around the world, but none with the genuine friendliness, warmth and professionalism of staff that we have experienced at W Retreat. From the moment you arrive and enter the magnificent driveway you know you are in for something special. They have a service philosophy of Whatever/Whenever and they never disappoint. Just when you think you need the umbrella moved for extra shade by the beautiful pool, the wonderful staff are there moving it with a happy smile. The pool area is magnificent, well layed out and spacious - you never feel crowded or that you have to be there early to get a sun lounge. Our villa was superb and had all the features and amenities we could ever wish for and more, as well as having a tastefully edgy design without losing its comfort. The restaurants at W are excellent and the menus of new chef de cuisine, Kevin Chung, provide an amazing array of food selections to choose from, with outstanding presentation and flavour. Walking into Starfish Bloo or Fire restaurants, the staff welcome you like family and their attention to detail and making us feel special was impeccable - without being overbearing. Don't miss the Sunday brunch at Starfish Bloo! You wont be disappointed.
Congratulations to W Resort manager Craig Seaward for overseeing a first class resort - we will be back and have no hesitation in recommending it. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so special.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I wondered whether we'd ever be able to re-adjust to our relatively mundane London lives without our treasured 'Whatever/Whenever' service!
Yes, you are likely to experience a total 'blow-out' here during your stay- both financially and gastronomically, but boy is it worth it! We stayed in the fantastic one-bedroomed villa with private pool complete with endless 'Bliss' beauty products- if you're like me and stock up on good quality freebees, be prepared to take a small bag back!
I would post my pictures of the villa up on here, but to be honest they are pretty much identical to the promo ones (with additional people attached.) On the subject- isn't it lovely to experience a what-you-see-is-what-you-get holiday?!
The breakfasts were phenomenal (I know that Americans tend to be pickier with food and service than Brits) but even the yanks looked happy.
Everything is done with a smile and a brilliant collective staff memory- we were always greeted by our first names without prompting.
Lunch and dinner at the hotel matched London prices, only better and fresher food and outstanding service. The most amazing hand-cooked prawn crackers are served 'while-you-wait' and there are free bottles of W own-brand natural bug repellant ('Bugger off') to ward off the mozzies.
I cannot gush enough about how fantastic and romantic our stay was! You are right in the middle of Seminyak which is a perfect location for some of the best restaurants (if you venture outside the W hotel compound!) we did on only a few occasions- check out the Sumaya for a meal that rivals the W's.
Go, spend your savings, do it!
Ps: If you want a 'couples massage' do so off-site. W charges £300/$400 for one, when the rest of the island will do it for 20 bucks. That's the only negative- the beauty charges.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

As young parents having a 5mo-old baby, we were expecting a memorable holiday even though we didn't go out of the hotel as much. We didn't really trust any babysitter provided so the baby was in our hands all the time. First we arrived in Ngurah Rai airport, the W Representative was already there, stood-by 24hours so no waiting for guests no matter what time they arrive or how crazy the traffic were to get to the airport. Our car was equipped with a car seat as requested.
Arrived at the hotel, the lobby, pool, and beach view was amazing. We didn't have to queue much as the receptionist came to us as we sit at the W Lounge and delivered everything we need to our table. The welcome drink was free-flow, and was complimentary at anytime at the hotel. We had the Spectacular Ocean Facing Retreat, which has a literally spectacular view! Our baby loved to be carried to the balcony, as he saw the dancing waves that drove him to sleep easily. There was always some dj playing outside playing good music, created a cool ambience.
On the next day, a wedding party took place at the Woobar rooftop, which was exactly in front of our room. It was so noisy that our baby woke up from his sleep. But as I complained to the manager, they offered me a complimentary spa treatment which valued more than USD200. The next day, the hotel staff seemed to recognize our family. They call us with our names when we arrived at Fire to have our brekky, even escorted us to the lift when we were heading back to our room. The welcome relation manager were drove us her business card to our room herself and told us to contact her directly for any reservation we need in the future.
My only critic to this hotel was only about the spa I had. I had the spa treatment at 5am so I'd finish the treatment when my baby woke up. The therapist seemed a little sleepy and she didn't offer me the Tantric Meditation included, something I quite look forward to. Another thing is the small portion for such an expensive price of the room service, even though the Jimbaran Prawn Ravioli tasted so good.
My husband and I are planning to have our second honeymoon in 2014 and we're going to Bali again. I'd definitely go back to this hotel, I don't think I'll stay in another place whenever I go to Bali. Thank you Mbak Yessy and Mas Rendy for such great hospitality :)

• Stayed: October 2012