“Seminyak at best!”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #19 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is my second time staying at W seminyak
The welcome desk for spg member was empty and people were queing to check in or to ask questions. I belive they need to have more resources to handle the busy time.
I didnit mind waiting as the staff took care of and even upgraded my room with skylight

The room was nice as usual, pillow selections, snack selections tv channels are up to my expectation.
Bathroom was much nicer than the previous stay, tip always request toilet with 2 washbasins, its bigger and it has a private toilet stall.
Their bliss body products are worth every penny

Room service was quick to deliver our order, tasted pretty good too

Breakfast at fire was one of my favorite! The selections are quite special rather than a feeding zoo, it as a more classy way to serve breakfast. You can choose whiever mugs for your coffee or tea.

Pool, its clean and spacious overlooking to seminyak beach, i didnt get a difficult time finding pool chairs as i came around 10am right after bfast.

Woo bar, cocktails were pretty good, but be prepared to dig your wallet, 2honey mojitos costs over idr 300,000
Happy hour starts at 6-7pm buy 1get 1

I came with my husband and a 2 yo daughter, i noticed this hotel at high season have many guests stayingvwith small children, which leads me to this

Be prepared to bring your own kids cuttleries, including plastic cup.
Fire restauratns only have limited plastic mugs so you have to stick with glass mugs,
Room services for kids menu dont have kids cutleries
So just be prepared when you bring small kids as this hotel may not target you.

Another one that i find a little dull was the in room cd provided, i came in feb and june, the cd was still the same, i assume the W chain hotel would take special attemtion on this as they have their own music director.

Both of my stayings (garden view and ocean glimpse) did not hear any music blasting from woo bar at night, so i am really happy with my requests fulfilled

Overall, i really enjoyed staying at W in seminyak, by far the best hotel in the area.

Room Tip: Request for a room that will not hear music from woo bar, even if you have to sacrifice the top ocea...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,528)

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Just got back from a 3-night stay at W Bali with my wife and had a great time. Airport transfer was smooth as expected, we were greeted by the W rep at the exit and ushered to a waiting car with towels and water to freshen up during the 30-min car ride.

Upon arrival at W, we were driven through this long serene driveway lined with bamboo trees and greeted by the big W sign (which can appear a bit eerie at night with its greenish glow and steam surrounding it) at the security checkpoint. Check-in at the villa lobby took longer than expected but we were not complaining once we arrived at our wonderful villa. Here are some of the plus and minuses which we experienced:

Good:
- Friendly and approachable staff. Everyone wears a smile here and the Concierge is always happy to help with recommendations, restaurant and spa bookings. As we were there for a birthday celebration, my wife communicated with the W Talent over email prior to our arrival and they duly obliged with balloons, birthday cake and even a W Bali t-shirt as a gift. There was also a framed photograph of us in the villa when we arrived, which I found to be a very nice touch. Another gesture which deserves a mention - my wife really likes the small colorful pebbles (with words like Joy, Faith, Love, etc.) in the Spa and emailed her contact person from W whether she can have some of those as souvenirs. The next morning when we were at the villa lobby, there was a small packet of those pebbles waiting for us, so Kudos Nanik and Rini!

- Wonderful pool villa. We stayed in one of the villas furthest away from the lobby/hotel wing and although it is a bit of a walk, you can always call for the buggy to ferry you to and fro when you are feeling lazy. The good thing about staying in a villa away from the hotel wing is that you get to enjoy privacy (vs. some of those nearer where people from the 2nd/3rd floor in the hotel wing can potentially look into your outside pool area). The villa itself is extremely comfortable for a couple: there is the private pool, 2 sunloungers and a spacious cabana equipped with outdoor Boss system ideal for chilling out. Inside, there is a sitting area, comfortable bed, flat-screen TV, and a huge bathroom with the standard W amenities. Depending on your preference, you may or may not like the design as it is more modern than Balinese.

- Stunning ocean view from the common pool area and Starfish Bloo. There is direct access to the beach from the other side of the hotel (not the villa area) and you get a great view of the ocean from the common pool area. We were glad that our breakfast was served at the Starfish Bloo (instead of the Fire restaurant) as we got to enjoy the ocean view and listen to the waves while having breakfast. You will also get the typical groovy W music playing in the background in the common areas

- Great location in Seminyak. W is within walking distance of many shops, cafes, restaurants and spa around the area. Our package came with a 75-min spa for 2, so we decided to try out other (cheaper) spas nearby and the concierge was very helpful in recommending options and making bookings. We eventually went to the one right across the road from W - it was pretty good and value for money too. Lots of good restaurants around and we walked from W to Sarong (2min), Potato Head (2min) and Kudeta (15min)

- Away Spa treatment was good too (although my wife felt it was a bit of a let down) and I was feeling refreshed after our 75-min session. It is open 24-hours too, with a 30% discount from 11pm-3am, so those who wish to relax after partying at the WooBar can do so.

Not-so-Good:
- Check-in took slightly longer than expected. There is a separate lobby for villa check-in but we found that it usually has only 1 front-desk staff so be prepared to wait a little if you arrive around the same time as other guests. We waited for about 20min and helped ourselves to the refreshing drink, no big deal

- Ongoing construction and renovation. There is still some construction work going on here and there around the property. During one of the afternoons, there were workers on the roof of our neighbouring villa. Not pleasant when you were reading in the sun next to your pool while there were people staring at you from the roof and carrying out drilling works. Fortunately, they stopped after we called the reception and asked if they can come back later to continue the work when we were out

- While the view from Starfish Bloo during breakfast was awesome, the food itself was disappointing. The buffet spread was OK, nothing to shout about and some of the hot food was cold when we tried them. We didn't realize that we could order from the ala carte breakfast menu until our last day, and those (scrambled eggs with lobster and foie gras!) were much better compared to the buffet spread, so do check out the menu if you have breakfast there!

Overall, despite the minor hiccups, we had a great time in W Bali and would love to go back again, perhaps try the ocean-facing rooms for the view next time. As it is still relatively new (1 year+), the staff and the property is still improving and should only get better with time

Room Tip: For the villas, go for one further away from the lobby and main hotel building for more privacy
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BryanC14
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Ate here for our first night in Bali. Absolutely stunning. I enjoyed our meal. Staff needs a little work but that's ok. Overall great experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Hello RRFoodie1,

Thank you for stopping by for dinner. We hope that we can have you back again for sunset, or a W Happening or even for night’s stay! See you soon…

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Had a fabulous time here staying in a 1 bed pool villa. The whole property (which is quite new) looks a million dollars and the (many) staff were very friendly. We were staying with our toddler who was treated like royalty - however a few examples of design trumping practicality - such as the cobbled paths around the villas and a lack of ramps around the pool - made it all quite pram unfriendly. Food in both restaurants was very good. Breakfast was nice, but not amazing by Asian 5 star standards. Transportation arranged through hotel was good and very reasonable - about USD80 for 6 hours (car & driver to Ubud and back) and around USD21 for airport transfer - they even managed to get us a baby seat. Sunset from Ice Bar was amazing. Would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Pool villa was great - stylish and spacious. For an ocean view however, choose something in the mai...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank thepaperboy

Hello thepaperboy,

We are happy to hear that your family enjoyed their W Experience. We do offer great options for dining and activities and glad that you were able to take advantage of both. Thank you for raising the ramp issue around WET. This is something we can look into for future capital. Looking forward to having you all back to Paradise!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Let me start off by saying that I often stay in Hotels around the World from the Shangri La in Hong Kong to Motel 6 in Boise. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

I just returned from staying four days at the W Hotel in Bali. I strongly, and I mean strongly, suggest you take advantage of their Visa on arrival and expedited service. Yes, it costs money but it will save you a whole lot of time. The lines at in the Immigration hall were outrageous but I was met by W Hotel representatives and they took my passport for Immigration clearance without waiting in line. From plane to the X5 BMW Hotel car in 20 minutes. The Drive from the airport is another story. Prepare for traffic. It took us about an hour an a half.

I booked the One bedroom Villa with a small pool. I am a SPG Gold member and used the SPG website to book the room. The room, which included daily breakfast ran about $545 USD per night. Upon arriving at the Hotel, we were dropped off at a separate area for Villa check ins. The check in was standard. We were then ushered into a buggy for the bumpy ride to the Villa #11. Side note, the roads/paths around the complex are bumpy and you could not walk on it in your bare feet. Upon arrival at #11, the outer door opened into an open area which included a small pool, outdoor cabana and a one bedroom retreat with sitting area and full bath. I was told by the check in desk that the pool was not cleaned and someone would be out to take care of it. Upon walking around the area, I felt the Villa was a little tired looking. The resort only opened about 1 1/2 years ago. Standard King Bed. Basic open bathroom with bliss products. The floor was tile and I immediately noticed the scuff marks on the ground. You would think they could use a little elbow grease and remove the marks. The Shower was nice but the door was warped and did not close all the way.

Outside, the pool was cool to the touch but the balmy hot weather made it acceptable. the Cabana was another story. Nice to look out but the covering was dirty. Spots all over and burn marks from the mosquito repellant were present. The room had wireless internet but it was hit or miss. Meaning, it was slow sometimes and fast others. I was told by the IT people that it was due to hight traffic. I did mention to the check in desk all of my observations and they said they would take care of it. BTW, no one ever came to clean the pool that night.

There are 2 restaurants on the property. Fire Cafe seems to be the most popular for breakfast. They have a nice spa for any type of message you wish. Expect to pay about 25% more than outside.

One last thing, I forgot to bring my flip flops with me but they had them available in the room. They were necessary, remember the roads, but were the most uncomfortable slippers I ever had worn. They were made of plastic. FYI, bring your own. The property is on the beach but the rough surf prevents swimming. Outside on the street is a coffee shop and mini mart for little stuff.

The staff was very good and helpful. I cannot say enough good things about them. Always cheerful and would take care of all your needs.

Was it worth the $545 per night? No. If they take care of their higher priced rooms to meet that standard, I would say yes. Quality control was not present and it showed. i have stayed at W brand Hotels before and consider the W Hotel in Taipei to be up to that standard.

So, why did I not ask for another room? I guess it is due to complacency and a bit of expecting things to be corrected when asked.

I did notice that they are opening a new Sheraton in Kuta shortly. For those of you who are SPG members, you may want to keep that in mind.

Room Tip: If you stay at a Villa, the pathways can be confusing. Call the desk and ask for a buggy pickup.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John M

Hello John M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. As a loyal Starwood fan, we appreciate you choosing W Bali for your holiday. I am sorry to hear about your issues during your stay. I can assure you that our Style (Housekeeping) Department receive proper training on the standards of cleaning. Aside from that, we have spoken to all the relevant departments to put action plans together to ensure a wonderful guest experience.

There are four sister Starwood properties opening in Bali in the next year, all offering a unique experience for our loyal guests. When you do find you way back to the Island of Gods, we do hope you choose to return to W Bali.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Backing up on last years visit to the W Retreat & Spa Seminyak, I was fortunate enough to get away again, this time for only 7 days and jump on a plane to that goregeous Island, I call 'Paradise" to attend a friends wedding. After experiencing the "W"WOW factor in 2011, I did not hesitate to book this hotel again. How could you possibly even consider staying anywhere else, when your first time stay literally "blows you out of the water" with an outstanding level of accomodation, food and beverages and customer service and after almost a 12 month absence, hats off to Craig, Ian, Marcus and all the W Cast & Crew for keeping the the bar raised to a very high standard. The W is and always will be..."My home away from home.."

Room Tip: Join and become a member the Starwood Group and get upgraded. Spend the extra $$$ and request a &quo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Hello JonnieOne,

WOW! Thank you for your kind words. We certainly strive each and every day to raise that bar and we are glad you noticed. I am glad that you feel the same why do because W Bali is truly my home away from home! We cannot wait to have you back!

Craig

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Absolutely fantastic hotel but you could be anywhere in the world! Breakfast was brilliant and the sunset venue is the second best in Bali to the rock bar at ayana. If you want authentic Bali don't bother if you want top quality hotel and service and food etc.. The w is the place to go.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bds2006

Hello Bds2006,

Thank you for your kind words. We do love our breakfasts and sunsets here…what better way to start and finish your day! We hope to be able to welcome you back to Paradise!