“Another visit and yet this place always delivers and never fails to disappoint!!!”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #20 of 147 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Backing up on last years visit to the W Retreat & Spa Seminyak, I was fortunate enough to get away again, this time for only 7 days and jump on a plane to that goregeous Island, I call 'Paradise" to attend a friends wedding. After experiencing the "W"WOW factor in 2011, I did not hesitate to book this hotel again. How could you possibly even consider staying anywhere else, when your first time stay literally "blows you out of the water" with an outstanding level of accomodation, food and beverages and customer service and after almost a 12 month absence, hats off to Craig, Ian, Marcus and all the W Cast & Crew for keeping the the bar raised to a very high standard. The W is and always will be..."My home away from home.."

Room Tip: Join and become a member the Starwood Group and get upgraded. Spend the extra $$$ and request a &quo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Hello JonnieOne,

WOW! Thank you for your kind words. We certainly strive each and every day to raise that bar and we are glad you noticed. I am glad that you feel the same why do because W Bali is truly my home away from home! We cannot wait to have you back!

Craig

There are newer reviews for W Bali - Seminyak

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Absolutely fantastic hotel but you could be anywhere in the world! Breakfast was brilliant and the sunset venue is the second best in Bali to the rock bar at ayana. If you want authentic Bali don't bother if you want top quality hotel and service and food etc.. The w is the place to go.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bds2006

Hello Bds2006,

Thank you for your kind words. We do love our breakfasts and sunsets here…what better way to start and finish your day! We hope to be able to welcome you back to Paradise!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Let me begin by saying ... I REALLY wanted to like this hotel. But there were too many things that happened that detract from the overall experience. Apart from a very few key staff, if you aren't prepared to follow the W 'script' and deviate in anyway, you will have problems.

I was also expecting a spot away from the 'bogan' type Aussie tourists in their Bintang singlets and cheap dreadlocks ... sadly, the W Bali is over-run with just this type of tourist that seems to have migrated up from Kuta (along with their screaming children).

Check-in.
The reception desk is too small for a hotel this size, and with this many requirements on check-in. From the time we sat down, check-in took approx 20 minutes, and apart from our room not being ready straight away, everything else was routine. I never saw the reception desk without a queue of people waiting for service.

The Room:
What can I say ... but wow. The layout, decor and feel of the room are all what you expect from W. Unfortunately, it is all style, with little substance. The toilet has a glass door separating it from the rest of the room ... I'm no prude, no matter how close my partner and I are, I REALLY don't need to be watching that. All it needs is some frosting, or something.

On the first night (of a 5 night stay) I phoned Whatever Whenever and asked for the bed to be re-made with a blanket rather than a duvet. I was told this wouldn't be a problem. After returning from dinner, this hadn't been done, so I didn't worry about it. The next day, I asked the housekeeper when he made up the room to make the bed with a blanket, and he readily agreed. Again, after returning from dinner this wasn't done. On the third day I thought that the previous issues may have been due to a language barrier, so I decided to go and ask at the Welcome Desk where English is not a problem. When I returned that evening, I found a baby bassinet and bottle warmer set up in the room! So I called Whatever Whenever and they were very quick to remedy the problem, but STILL didn't bring a blanket! On the fourth day, I again approached the Welcome Desk, was apologised to, and advised that all would be fixed. Upon returning to my room, I was amazed to see a blanket had been delivered. Unfortunately, it was a single blanket for a king sized bed. But at least it was progress I guess! On the fifth day, I explained to the housekeeper that I wanted the bed made with a blanket that fit the bed ... a queen blanket was delivered, but the bed wasn't made with it (it was left at the end).

Food and Beverage:
This is where the hotel is REALLY let down. The queue for breakfast was SO long that we did not once eat in the hotel, we went out each day. I asked on 3 separate occasions where else in the hotel I could eat breakfast, and I was told that In Room Dining was the only option (depsite the compendium saying that a light breakfast option was available in the Living Room).

Every other day, we ate from the poolside menu ... and whilst the team was eager to help, the menu was very uninspiring. Pizzas, burgers, etc ... the same as on the menu in Fire, and at a higher price. Half of the items on the menu were not available - for example, rather than drink that horrid Bintang beer, I ordered a Stark (a boutique Indonesian beer). The staff first told me they had never heard of it, when I pointed it out on the menu, they advised that the hotel had never stocked it, and werent sure why it was listed on the menu.

Our stay coincided with Easter Sunday. On the Sunday, we had friends meeting us at the hotel for lunch, so we decided to got to Fire for lunch ... we were advised that as it was Easter Sunday it was a buffet only. We are not buffet people, and said we wanted to order a-la-carte, but were told 'no'. We should head to Starfish Bloo - so off we went. At Starfish Bloo we were again advised that it was a buffet only ... I started to get frustrated, and said that I wanted a-la-carte but was again advised 'no'. They tried to direct us back to Fire! So I said that we would take a table, and order from the In Room Dining menu ... I was again told 'no'. At this point, I asked the hostess "What happened to Whatever Whenever? Isn't that the point of W Hotels? That I can get whatever I want, whenever I want it?" She just shrugged at me and said that she couldn't help. So again, we had to leave the hotel to eat.

WET (the pool)
Again .. this area REALLY lets down the hotel.
Firstly, they make you sign out towels - you are limited to two towels per person, and if they aren't returned, you are charged for the towels. I have NEVER had this at ANY resort in the world - not in the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, Asia ... nowhere.
There are not enough chairs / loungers for the number of guests, nor enough umbrellas for the tropical sung. People come down before breakfast and leave a towel or a book on a chair, and that is that. At one point we had been sitting in the sun for over an hour, whilst two lounges sat unattended (except for a book) under the shade of an umbrella. Despite asking staff - 3 times - they refused to do anything about it. I saw this happen day in and day out.
The pool needs a chiller - it is too hot! And I am talking tepid water that you could take a bath in ... after lying in the tropical heat, a cool dip is what you want and you won't get it here. At best, the pool temperature is lovely until about 10am.
W Koh Samui has a great concept called a 'Sweet Spot' stocked with ice-creams and soft drinks (all self service). The compendium at W Bali says the pool has one, but it doesn't. When we asked, we were told they replaced it with the towel 'kiosk'.
There are staff that walk around offering ice-creams from an esky ... so we gladly accepted. After we had finished eating, a waiter appeared with a bill! I don't mind paying for something, but it would have been nice to be advised when I was 'offered' the treat.
It also REALLY needs an adult only pool ... the amount of kids around is ridiculous.

The Bar:
Again ... a real let down. I am used to W Hotels in New York, London, Los Angeles, Hong Kong, and there is always a DJ and great music. On one night (Easter Saturday I think) the bar had a piano in it! Playing elevator music! The other nights, the DJ was ok, not as good as at KU DE TA or Potato Head, but at least it was what I expect from a W.

So ... the positives. Well, the hotel is stunning to look at. The entrance, especially at nighttime, really feels like you are arriving somewhere special. The drink service around the Living Room (on the verandah outside) was lovely ... and a great spot to sit late into the evening. The bed was SO comfortable (despite the lack of blanket!) and I had no problem with waiting on the driveaway for a taxi (like so many other reviewers mention). Despite a lack of English, the staff are VERY friendly, always saying hello, stopping to give way, and the like. They really try to make you feel welcome, but as I said earlier, if you try and deviate from the W 'script' or standardised offering in any way, that is where they get confused and falter.

Would I return ... again, my experience at every other W I have stayed at has been SO positive, that I really want to give it another try. But I just don't know that I would ...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank marqueterie

Hello marqueterie,

We really appreciate you giving your detailed feedback. I am sorry to hear that your expectations were not met. I have spoken to my team and all respective departments nabout your concerns and hope that you do give W Bali another try. Please feel free to contact me when you do decide to return to Bali. I ensure that the second time around will WOW you. gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com

Reviewed June 16, 2012

We’ve spent our last days on Bali at the W Retreat & Spa. This is another side of Bali, no traditional thatched roofs or rice field views, but an international setting, concrete pools and very modern open air spaces directly on the beach. From ordering fresh towels with your iPhone to remote control of the in-room sound system at your pool, the designers of this hotel have thought about details.

The hotel has, like many other W hotels, both a party like and stylish atmosphere. Our stay was in a villa and that allows a lot of extra privacy during your stay. The villas are located behind the hotel. With your own private pool in a walled garden, we felt this became a really comfortable sanctuary to retreat.

What we particularly liked was that all staff greeted you during your stay and were not hesitant to engage in some small talk. Even the general manager took time to speak to us... made us feel very welcome. But if this is your first visit to the island, I would recommend to combine the hotel with a more traditional stay in for example Ubud, to really experience both sides of Bali.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello Explomondo,

Thank you for coming such a long way and writing a wonderful review. We are happy to hear that you were able to experience all of Bali and agree that everyone should see how magical this island is. Please let us know when you are ready to return to Paradise!

Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed at W for 4 nights and loved every second of our experience. I have nothing to fault and those who have via trip advisor need to adjust their expectations!!! Stay at W.... You won't regret it!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MeganandMoosh

Hello MeganandMoosh,

Well, we guess we all know how you feel…and we love it! Come back soon!

Reviewed June 14, 2012

We have been to bali 15 times, stayed in over 30 hotels and the W just is the best. Its only been open about 18 months and we have staed 4 times. The pool is great for familys and people wanting to stay away from families (you losers) and the staff are just the best. The breakfast in the fire restaraunt is superb. I have sent a bunch of family and friends there and all love it. The cakes served by the lovely karcher are also just divine. Stay Stay Stay

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank scog1

Hello scog1,

Thank you! What is even better than your review is that you have come back repeatedly and have shared how special this place is. Please let us know when you are ready to make your 5th visit. We cannot wait to have you back!

Reviewed June 13, 2012

I'd like to say the location at Petitenget Beach, Seminyak, where it is concentrated with famous club and restaurant such as ku de ta, double six, potato head, etc., will giving you a great experience to party.

With such an expensive price per room per night, it is worth if you do use all its facilities. When you arrive you will see a very nice lobby and unique receptionist desk. The staffs are very warm with great service. They give me a coupon for free 15 minutes massage at their spa, i don't know it is because i am a starwoord preferred guest or just because simply as usual to other guest. But it is worth.

Entering the room, you ears and eyes will be entertained with songs using bose sound system and unique decor of room interior. With all the amenities we got and facilities (free wifi, etc.) at that room i guest (again) it is worth it.

Next, the lobby with the pool view, as a guest you can enjoy welcome drink at any time and sit on the many sofas available in the lobby or near the pool with the feel of sea breeze.

I enjoy the gym the most. If you are a user of mp3, smartphone or apple product you can easily switch it to the cardio facilities. Even if you don't bring anything you are equipped with earphone, tvs, video, movies. Enjoying the cardio. When you enter the changing room, you will find a room with free drink (you can choose the sweetener between honey or sugar) and free rosemary sweet.

The changing room equipped with high tech locker, many bathrobe. Don't forget to enjoy the sauna, the whirlpool and the small hot pool.

It is unique where on you breakfast you can choose whether you are going to enjoy it buffet or ala carte. Great.

What else i can say. It's all great. But for people who really wants to enjoy Bali from Ubud, Kuta, Jimbaran, don't stay at Seminyak. Too far. So i recommend it for couple, group of friends, and aloner.

Room Tip: choose with the sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank theonlykarin

Hello theonlykarin,

What a great review, thank you! You hit the mark with all the things you pointed out, especially with our SWEAT facilities. It does get used by many guests and the best part is that it is 24 hours, just like our AWAY Spa. My favorite is the steam room at the end of the day. We hope that you return soon!