“Absolutely amazing”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #20 of 149 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Amzing resort. The staff, food and vibe were excellent. Everything was well considered and thoughtful. So sad to leave - take me back!!

Room Tip: I enjoyed being in a Garden View room and not facing the sometimes busy pool/lounge area.
2  Thank Jrod-1979
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Hello J-rod-1979,
You know you don’t have to leave and of course, are more than welcome back any time!

See you soon.

Craig Seaward

Write a ReviewReviews (3,624)

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the W in an Ocean Glimpse room. Very impressed with the decor and std of fixtures and fittings. Pure luxury! Lots of extra thoughtful toilettry products provided. The bathroom was v spacious with wall to wall glass & 2 separate basins, which was great for 2 girls sharing a room. Lovely open area shower and bathing area. Remote control skylight in the ceiling was a great touch. Separate make-up/hair dressing table - perfect again, for us girls! The bedroom was huge with 2 Queen size beds, with ample room to move around each bed. Lounge area, writing desk and bar cabinet were all a good size and more than adequate. Lots of interesting lighting options in the bedroom, but lighting in the bathroom was far too dim for ladies who need to apply makeup successfull- a bright light on a dimmer would be great. This really should be addressed by management-hint,hint!! A lovely little balcony area was off the bedroom but wasn't used due to an ugly view of a large semi-demolished building.
Aside from the room itself, the hotel was just gorgeous! Absolutely to die for! Funky, ultra-modern bars with heaps of comfortable seating that really looked like THE places to be seen - such a shame the prices were SOOOO high as otherwise these bars would have been full and would the atmosphere they so richly deserve! Having some of Seminyak's most popular and upmarket bars close by, that do have reasonable prices had resulted in the W overpricing themselves out of the market. The breakfast that was included was just fabulous, possibly the best I've ever had anywhere in the world! The buffet alone was huge and delicious but the added bonus was an Ala-Carte menu for superb gourmet choices usually only seen in the best cafes/restaurants - all included in the price! Loved the 'choose your own mug' selection - very eclectic! I had 1 lunch around the pool but after being slugged over AU$20 for 2 Vietnamese spring rolls decided to save my money for cocktails and more food for my back elsewhere.
Service was faultless and the staff were wonderful to deal with. In all, a fabulous experience and I would love to come back with my girlfriends or my husband in the future! Expensive but hey, you get what you pay for in terms of accommodation.

Room Tip: We booked a Garden View room and were upgraded to an Ocean Glimpse room (406). Our wing was above th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sharlene M

Hello Sharlene M,

Thank you for choosing W Bali for your girls weekend! Your kind words are very much appreciated.

Just a note on our pricing; we have done price comparison on our venues and we are actually on par with our neighbors. We have to be competitive to attract our guests both in house and down the long driveway!

I do have a feeling that you will be back…but would suggest bringing your husband first so he knows what all the buzz is about. THEN come back again with your girlfriends!

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I just came back from a 3D2N stay at the W in Bali. I must say that both my husband and I are slightly disappointed about our stay and had greater expectations of a W resort, being a major chain of international luxury resorts. That said, my review is based on comparisons of our previous stays with other villas in Seminyak Bali, where we had great experiences with no complaint.

From the title, I do mean that the resort itself, the infrastructure is amazing. It oozes luxury and modern comforts. The size of the resort is very impressive and you get a sense that everything is just ever so slightly "over the top" in a good way. But where it fell short for us was several occasions of poor execution of basic things that we took for granted at a resort of such standing and left a bitter taste in our mouths. A lot of it seemed to boil down to a difficulty in understanding or communication with the staff. Don't get me wrong, there was the classic balinese hospitality and service with a smile, but the problems just arose due to mis/non communication - as below.

Cons:
- At check in, the receptionist insisted that the room had not been paid for. Even though we showed him the credit card confirmation that it was prepaid and that we had the full sum deducted the day before we flew up. He did not seem able to check that on the system. Whilst I accept that sometimes there are delays with credit card deductions etc, he never got back to us about it, even though he claimed he would check. We only found out after we went to (another) receptionist later during our stay to confirm. I would expect that to have been sorted out for us and to leave a note or message for us.
- The receptionist could not converse in English very well and was halting at best. Which was fine but we found it unacceptable that he could not even describe where we were on the map and took at least 3 minutes with his pen hovering ,to cross us out on the map, which turned out to be wrong.
- There was no welcome drink presented on arrival to us, but was available at the side of the reception area (which I only saw after I got bored waiting for the receptionist to sort out the above problems). I guess this could possibly be a neutral point, as it was essentially free flow. It was very nice juice though i must say. But i do agree with a previous review that in Bali, it is quite common to expect it to be served on arrival. An ice cold towel was served mid way during our rather long check in though.
- The room was not available until 3pm (we arrived at about 1pm) which was rather surprising as it has always been our experience at other villas for the villa to be ready upon arrival (especially it being so close to the "regular check in" timing (and not say, early in the morning - which we did before but had no issues getting to the room immediately upon arrival). This was slightly even more annoying since they had our flight details from when we booked our airport transfer through the hotel.
- Since we had no room, we took a buggy out to the main road (the resort entrance is from an inland road but has about a 400 m+ driveway since it opens up right on the beach). Which did not take too long but the buggy back in took more than 20 minutes to arrive, by which time we had made our way on foot half way through the driveway after waiting 15 minutes.
- We had booked the "Amp up our stay" package, which promised late check out to 4pm (subject to availability) but this was not conclusive at all. At check in, the receptionist said they would get back to us the next day (being the day before check out), which was fine. Again, however, no one got back to us. When we approached the receptionist the next day, again it was inconclusive and she claimed she could only extend to 1pm (from 12pm) and thereafter, we had to be charged half a day. Again, I pointed out to her that our package included late check out and we had paid extra for this. We were not even asking to 4pm as we were leaving at 2.30pm. after much wrangling she said she would check with her senior and get back to me (which credit to her, she did) but again, perhaps due to communication issues, appeared to be very reluctant and contrived at best.
- Again included in our package was a pair of 75 min spa sessions. The resort lauded the spa being open 24/7. However, when we called to make an appointment, there was no availability at all for the both of us on Saturday or Sunday! or even monday for that matter! The only times available as informed to us were at 7pm and 10pm. which didn't make much sense to us really. After 15 minutes of wrangling again, we managed to get it at 9pm and 9.30pm. While availability is something relatively difficult to control, i would loathe to have this package during peak season (May being Off season), and possibility not being able to redeem it at all! (the spa is AMAZING though...) but the difficulty in getting our appointments fixed tainted the experience some what.
- There was a mosquito coil on the day bed but no matches to light it. Had to call for housekeeping for it.
- We had room service but my order was missing its side of fries. It was quickly rectified and a fresh order of fries was sent over but with everything that happened that first day (only!) it was very disappointing.
- The reception of most if not all television stations was grainy.
- The next day at breakfast, we had gone to Starfish Bloo restaurant as instructed as breakfast was included in our package. The staff apparently were not aware of this and after getting our villa number 3 times, informed us that breakfast was not included in our package (rather loudly i might add and we had tables next to us). My husband was very impatient by this time and informed them this was not correct and to check. The waitress said she would check and get back to us. 15 minutes later, nothing and we sat there waiting with nothing ordered. We eventually grabbed another waitress who came back 5 minutes later to say that yes, its was included. At this time, it appeared that the W resort system had to be checked, since there was clearly some bug or difficulty in the staff assessing very basic information about their guests and their packages.
- My husband found the pillows too soft after the first night and selected a firm pillow from the pillow menu. When we called housekeeping to have one firm pillow sent to us, 2 soft pillows were sent instead. Again, basic communication issues.
- Music at main hotel area slightly loud, especially at breakfast. Understand it is a "party" hotel which is fine during the day and night, but it was a bit hard to enjoy the lapping waves or even trying to wake up in the morning. We were very glad we did not stay in the hotel and were in villas given that the music would be quite loud in the hotel rooms.
- the air conditioning in our villa was rather loud. Perhaps due to the large size of the interior of the villa. Minor issue but did cause some slight annoyance.

Pros:
- PIck up from airport was very smooth and professional.
- Impressive lobby which was split into separate lobbies for the hotel rooms and the villas.
- Security is very strict and all vehicles, pedestrians are thoroughly screened.
- Relatively central location, walkable to the main seminyak area for food and shopping. About 30 minutes at a very leisurely pace (including stopping to shop!)
- The spa is expansive and ultra modern. Think all white laminates with neon/blue lights. The changing rooms include large cold and hot pools with steam rooms. Satin-y black robes to wait in and oxygen whilst waiting for your therapist. The treatment rooms overlook the sea and the massage tables are light boxes themselves! A small lcd screen is embedded on the floor directly under your massage table with soothing pictures to view... Nice touch. The massage itself was great and the staff skilled.
- Breakfast was good and tasty, with a good mix of ala carte menu items and supplemented by other buffet items. The free flow coffee and ala carte menu items was nice (but again was the case with our previous bali villa experiences as well). I would recommend the Croque Madame, Eggs ben and pancakes.
- General decor was trendy and modern, punctuated with nice shocking pink accents throughout the resort. The villa itself was spacious and well designed and furnished. The toiletries and amenities were a nice touch, with funny descriptions for most of them (e.g., "backup plan" label on the extra roll of toilet paper). The pool is very impressive and great for enjoying the sunsets. Be prepared to not be able to hear the waves as music is piped throughout the day.
- Direct access to the beach.

Conclusion:

This hotel is well designed with all the infrastructure expected of a luxury resort of such standing. Don't get me wrong, it is a VERY NICE hotel. However, the lack of service that we received this trip led us to be disappointed. Again, don't misunderstand, we weren't treated badly or rudely, but rather, compared to our other experiences in Bali, this one did not stand up to Bali's standards. It appeared to boil down to communication. We both did notice that we did not encounter such problems with language in other villas where English was well and widely spoken. WIth the upmarket prices and appearance, it is a pity that the service we received did not meet the other standards of the hotel.

My last word: We had a good time here, but have to be honest to say that we enjoyed our previous stays at Uma Sapna and The Samaya (Seminyak and Ubud) much more, for both cost and personalized and seamless service we received.

Room Tip: Main hotel is noisy with club music on most times of day.
11  Thank auntieadriene

Hello auntieadriene,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Your thorough feedback is greatly appreciated and we do discuss our reviews (from all media) in our daily operations meetings.

I am sorry to hear that you had several communication issues and that there was a lack of follow up during your W Bali experience. We continuously train our Talent on our Whatever/Whenever philosophy, which not only empowers them to be proactive, but also share this mantra through their actions and communication. This is an ongoing process, but as you said, it does not take away from their genuine hospitality and friendliness.

I will take your feedback about the Amp Up Your Escape package to our Sales & Welcome Team. We want our guests to know that when they do book a special package that they are able to take advantage of all the added value components.

Your kind words will not go unnoticed. You are spot on with all points!

Please feel free to reach out to me if there are any other details you would like to discuss. gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com

Hopefully when you do return to Bali, you will stop by W, even if just for breakfast one morning!

Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed 3 nights and one word to describe everything, "wow"!!! Overall i enjoyed my stay and i had the best breakfast ever at the fire restaurant!!! You got to pick ur own mug and they have variety breakfast menu and they served on the menu...amazing!!! One thing that a bit dissapoint me was the sink in my bathroom, it was so small and kinda different from what i saw on the website photo gallery, it was really really small!!!! But since every other things were so great so i would very recommend this hotel....

2  Thank Lisa L

Hello Lisa L,

Your one word description is just the reaction we wanted, thank you!

I am curious as to which picture you say does correctly represent the sinks in the retreats. Would you mind sending me the link to the webpage you are referring to? gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

Hoping to have you back during high season!

Reviewed May 26, 2012

Came to Bali for a business meeting with an International Group of Chinese. We had looked at a number of options and settled on the W. brilliant choice, the staff were courteous and friendly and 2 chinese speaking staff members were at our disposal whenever needed.
The restaurants were not only friendly but everything we asked for was immediately looked after including a very private wine cellar dining room with an unbelievable ambience and the wine cellar one of the best I have seen in Bali.
The steaks could be featured in Gourmet magazine and matching wine pairings to die for. Breakfast is another experience that requires hours of laps in the free form pool or long walks on the nearly empty beach.
Last but not least the Woobar will become the next in spot in Bali to watch the sunset or eat the amazing array of finger foods or order a full meal from the menu, drink and dance the night away two some of the best DJs anywhere.
To all the staff and management on behalf of our group thankyou and well done.
Rick Logan
Lifetime Platinum Member

Room Tip: Ask for ocean facing but even the garden view are still wonderful
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank mintyJakarta

Hello Rick,

What can I say, we are always grateful for your support. Looking forward to doing it again, both for business and pleasure!

See you soon!

Craig

Reviewed May 26, 2012

We come back often for relaxation, great food and stylish surroundings.
Many of the staff give the personal touch to their service delivery too, which is always appreciated. :-)

• Stayed: May 2012

Hello Michelle P,

I love that you come to Seminyak as your getaway from Ubud! What a different perspective! Looking forward to having you back again and again…

Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights and had the best time ever!! The breakfast was delicious and was a highlight every morning the location is the best close to all the trendy restaurants and botiques... Loved the bathroom with all the goodies but if your traveling with a group avoid sharing a room as it very open and was quite annoying when your the only girl..

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Sandra-luisa

Hello Sandra-luisa,

I love the title of your review, thank you! I’m sorry to hear that privacy was an issue for you with the bathrooms. To note for your next stay – each retreat in the main building has a sliding conceal/reveal wall that will allow you to have your own space while in the WC. Make sure to ask one of our Talent to show you next time they escort you to your retreat.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Paradise!