“Only name is Big”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #20 of 147 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I'm right now staying @ W Retreat.

I'm here for 2 weeks with my family and would like to share my experiences of last 4 days.

We booked a ocean view room 400$ and before coming further upgraded to a one bedroom villa with $ 100++. This was done 4 days back before coming, even got a confirmation on the same by W Retreat. 2 days before coming, I called but it was a shock that they did not find my upgrade. Then I had to send my confirmation to a person Adrian and then he again confirmed me back in the evening.

I arranged the hotel transfer in Toyota Innova for 22$, which was quite smooth and ok.

Check in was also smooth.

Room: quite a nice one but lots of faults, I don't understand that a relatively new hotel with so many problems.
- pool lights not switching off in the night.
- aircon, there is a issue
- wash basins, water splashing all over and making the area and cosmetics wet
- rooms are not cleaned, had to call the house keeping.
- just 4 small bottles of water but however if u call they relenish it.
The Director of villa is a nice person, who took care so that I am comfortable. He even offered me to move to another villa but jokingly I told that if they upgrade then I will move otherwise there is no point packing the things and moving again.

Will update more later after a full 2 week experience.

According to me only the name is Big...rest...???

Being a gold card star wood member, I expect a lot more pampering and comfoRt.

Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank Zeds13
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Hello Zeds13,

Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and choosing to upgrade at W Bali. I am happy to hear that our Director of Residences was able to make you feel comfortable despite your issues. I will also re-address this with the relevant departments.

We do hope you were WOW’d during the remainder of your stay.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you need to discuss your issues further. gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

There are newer reviews for W Bali - Seminyak

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Hi Stayed here with my family my wife and i stayed in a one bedroom villa and my teenage children stayed in a ocean facing room the service was very good and frendly we were able to check in easly because were staying in the villas but i did notice that the check in for the hotel was very busy. Our children kept coming to our villa to swim as they said that there were not enough sun lounges.THe hotel is located in Seminyak which is central to shopping and restaurants.All in all a good hotel however as one of your other reviews stated the airon was extremely load.

Room Tip: stay in a villa
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RobertMPerth

Hello 255103Robert,

Thank you taking the time to post your review. We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time together at the Retreat. During peak holiday times, the Retreat does get busy, but good to know that your children were able to utilize your Villa’s private pool. Just to let you know that plan is to add more cabanas before this coming high season.

Hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

This review is long overdue - we were in Bali in December for 10 days over Christmas. Our Bali trip was a wedding gift + honeymoon from our family in Singapore. My husband and I live in New York and although I've been to Bali before, he never has. It was therefore very important to my family that we have an incredible stay. They usually stay at the 4 Seasons or Anantara or Legian - however this time they chose to book us at the "W".

It was par excellence to the point that we extended our stay by 3 days - we would have preferred even more days there, but work beckoned. It is a brand new property (at the time we were there, not even 9 mths old), with beautiful landscaping and interiors - very 'W' but very location appropriate.

Ian Lovie the Director of Cusine is brilliant at what he does - he is always present at every meal and attends to each guest with grace and charm. My husband fell ill (having eaten something outside/street food) while we were there and Mr. Lovie made sure he was plied with the right foods and tumblers of fresh coconut water for the duration of our stay. The food every day was incredible and fabulously 'curated'. We stayed on the top floor with an ocean facing view - stupendous - and a skyroof in the bathroom (which was ridiculously luxurious). The pool is really quite lovely - we enjoy swimming - and really had a great time. The 'whatever, whenever' desk went above and beyond with all our requests which included changing flights a few times and booking and juggling restaurant reservations.

The only drawback was that during the Christmas holidays they were ill-equipped to service all their guests in a timely fashion. We had a few housekeeping issues that were not dealt with speed and alacrity or not at all - this was most disappointing.

We certainly plan to go back to Bali and will stay at the 'W' again - however, we will try to go during the 'off-season'. Hopefully the next time, housekeeping will be more seasoned and therefore far better equipped to handle guest concerns.

All in all - fabulous hotel, great staff, excellent food ('Fire' restaurant was our favourite!) and Ian Lovie is the perfect ambassador for the hotel - he and his elegant staff really made our stay memorable.

Room Tip: Room with an ocean view - top floor - and sky roof in the bathroom really make the stay special.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank M D

Hello M D,

We appreciate you writing your review, it’s always better late than never! Sorry to hear that our Style department was squeezed during your time with us, but it doesn’t sound like this hindered your W Bali Experience. This is something we will reorganize especially with regards to high/peak seasons. Living in the birthplace of W, you would be the best judge of how the brand is translated to an international destination. Thank you for acknowledging that.

Your kind words about Chef Ian are definitely a shared opinion. He makes an excellent ambassador for the Retreat.

Hopefully, you will be able to come back soon. Just remember – anytime you go to Singapore – we are only 2 more hours away.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in the Wonderful Garden Retreat and the Marvelous One Bedroom Pool Villa. I believe much has been said about the rooms and the facilities by other reviewers, so I shall review of What I like/dislike the most about this W:-

What I like:-

1. Breakfast at FIRE - Hands down the best hotel breakfast I've ever had. Do try the DragonBerry juice (see my pic). It is so delicious, I had 4-5 glasses every morning
2. W Bed - I fell asleep even when I didn't intend to?! The moment I put my head on the pillow I automatically dozed off??!!! (Yes, it is that good)
3. Landscape - Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. We actually intend to go sightseeing in Bali but after we checked into W, we cancelled all of our plans and decided to camp full time in W.
Our fav spot is the black day bed at WooBar, or the gazebo in front of WooBar. What a perfect spot to take a nap after enjoying the heavy breakfast at Fire!
4. Bliss amenities
5. The bathroom at the One Bedroom Pool Villa - I love the fact that it is overlooking the bale bed, water feature and the pool (esp the tub)
6. Starfish Bloo's interior - seriously, one of the best interior's Ive seen (kudos to Poole & Associates!)

and last, but not least, my FAV of all:

7. Whatever/Whenever team - Seriously I was a big fan of St Regis' Butler service until I experienced W/W....Lazy to walk from your villa? Call Whatever/Whenever to pick you up. Cannot find anything? Call W/W. Wants to eat ice cream? Call W/W to buy it for u. Lazy to peel the apples? Call W/W to send the ones that has been peeled n cut for u......I can go on and on about the requests that I've made to W/W, but I shall sum it all in one word: Amazing

Now onwards to the complaints......

Well...........none

Everything was perfect, from the moment we arrived till we left. We were treated like princesses, and all of our requests were fulfilled.. Perhaps my only complaint is that the W Store should've sold W Merchandise (i.e Bedsheets and Diffuser (esp the Diffuser)) instead of only accessories and clothes.. We were so disappointed we couldn't buy the diffuser but Craig took care of it for us. Thanks Craig :D

Well what else can I say, I believe my title says it all.. Looking forward to visit other Ws (will be in W NYC, W Washington, W Singapore and W Bangkok later this year) but we promise we will be back to W Bali again :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank 24n

Hello 24n,

Thank you for your stellar review! It is always nice to hear that our guests are spoiled for choice on this beautiful island, and yet, they still prefer to spend their time with us. There is certainly enough to do (or not to do!) at the Retreat and good to know we exceeded your expectations. We also loved that you wanted to take a piece of W Bali home with you, with our compliments!

I think we have found a loyal fan and we look forward to welcoming you back. Let us know when you are ready to book!

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Stayed last week at an Ocean Glimps room for a little over USD1,200 with breakfast for 3 nights. Maybe it is just me, but for more then USD400.00 per night, I have some expectations.
Here is my experience:

1. There are 3 check in desks. Each of them was busy. Together with another couple, I was standing to wait for my turn to get attention. At a 3 Star hotel with a more modest room rate, I expect to wait for my turn for a bit longer - but not at an hotel, that prides itself to stage exclusive and extraordinary experiences.

2.Booked an Ocean Glimps room. Not worth the extra money. An unfinished construction, at around 110 meters makes for an unsighlty glimpse experience (check it out on Google Earth. The W is still under construction in this view. The rectangular unfinished building to the left is still at the same stage and this is what you will see from your Ocean Glimps room with a dash of raw concrete).

3. My room was on the 4th floor. Took the elevator, but could not find a signage which way to go. I tried to figure it out, but was not able to. Found a house phone and called the front desk. Somebody came up to show me my room. Standing in the steamy heat, with luggage, not knowing how to find my room, waiting for somebody to come up ... you be the judge if this sounds like an extraordinary experience.

What else? Valet parking was good, breakfast as you would expect from a hotel of this format. Can't swim there - signs advise of very dangerous rip currents (Nusa Dua is probably better if a bit of swimming in the ocean is on your mind) - but this is not a fault of the hotel. Neither is the rooster, that woke me up every day at around 4 a.m. (there are a few local people who live right in front of the hotel at the Ocean Glimps wing, who have one in their backyard).

If you plan to rent one of the Villas, make sure you research well. The Hotel is between the ocean and the Villas, so no Glimps at all at the Ocean. The villas are all walled in with a little pool. From the 4th floor, you can overlook the Villas at the back and I did not find them appealing. However, you be the judge and the view from Google Earth can give you some help to give it the thumbs up or down.

A fair rate in my opinion for the experience you get, is at around USD265.00 max.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Troy F
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Hello Troy F,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I do appreciate your honestly and would like to address some of your concerns:

How long did you have to wait for your check in and what time did you arrive? We do have peak hours when all the desks are busy, but we try to manage everyone’s expectations and waiting time.

The construction you saw from your Ocean Glimpse Retreat is not part of the W. Unfortunately, it is beyond our control. To note – the Google Earth photo that shows was taken pre-opening. The good thing is that all facilities of the property have been fully operational since April 1, 2011. We can commend our contractors as they work much swifter than our neighbors.

I am sorry that you did not find the room signage sufficient as they are indeed on the far right wall once you exit the lift.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to share more details as I want to make sure your all your concerns were addressed. gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

i understand that some believe this is a great place but it is not for myself or the friends who stayed. The air-conditioning in the villa is so loud that at night if you want a peaceful sleep it needs to be turned off, luckily the one in the bathroom is a little quieter and it is able to keep the room reasonably cool. The service on all occasions is sadly lacking, from waiting for 20 minutes for a class of champagne, we had to remind them, to the order of coffee simply not arriving and then over a 45 minute wait for our dinner order. The hot water does not last long...as in if i have a shower first my husband had to wait at least 5 minutes before it was hot again or should i say warm enough to have a shower and forget having a bath as there just is not enough hot water to fill the tub.

The wait for a taxi was never less than 10 minutes and a buggy to take you to your villa was on most occasions the same time frame, the villas were rarely cleaned before 4pm which of course is when you are trying to relax by the pool in the villa.......only 4 tiny bottles of water and forget any chocolates for a little bed time snack.

The good was the shared pool area, having a sunset drink at the Woo Bar and the breakfast at the Star Fish Bloo....the staff were pretty attentive but failed to remember orders and were very apologetic when it was brought to their attention..

we have travelled the world and stayed at some great places and some average, i would put this in the average category, there are better places to stay in Bali

Room Tip: i cant comment on the rooms but there are better villas to stay at in bali
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Hello Michelle M,

Thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear that the W Bali Experience was not for you. I do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered with our service. This is definitely something I will take up with the respective departments in our Operations meetings.

If you do come back to Bali, the hope is that you will still come to WooBar for sunset!

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Service and facilities excellent. Beach and crashing waves absolutely awesome. Lots of palm trees by poolside but not sufficient to provide shade during a very hot and sunny day. Not enough Salas/cabanas. However plenty of daybeds lining edge of lobby area. Techno music during sunset reminds us of ku de ta bar. Breakfast spread is humongous, with plenty of choices from the menu.

Stayed: April 2012

Hello Yinloke,

Thank you for posting your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your time at W Bali. The waves have been really high lately due to the full moon and yes – it is pretty awesome! Can you send me a quick note to clarify why you think the Retreat is a bit compact? Are you saying this because there were not enough cabanas? Please email me at gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

Hopefully you will be back soon.