I had so been looking forward to a few days here - I hadn't been to Bali for many years and I love both the ocean and the W hotels - have stayed in the W in New York for New Years Eve and what could be better than the W on a beach.
There were many negatives and perhaps some of them belong to me.
One of the reasons I love New York is that I can walk out the front door and within seconds, I have a choice of hundreds of things to do in any direction - it is all there in front of me.
In Seminyak, the driveway itself is hundreds of metres long on cobble stones so you would tend to avoid it.
When we got to our room, you could see the beach but it was hundreds of metres away.
When I finally headed towards the beach I was warned that it was not suitable for swimming - that immediately was a total turnoff.
If I opened the room's balcony doors, we were immediately confronted by loud disco music.
The hotel must be a considered decision - if you are looking for a hip young exciting New York style hotel where you listen to DJ's playing music and spend the day and night drinking cocktails, then it is probably idyllic.
If perhaps you are older, looking for a quiet few days relaxing and swimming on the beach then I would suggest looking for a beach that allows you to do that.
Again my problem but I grew up in Melbourne where music meant listening to musicians themselves with some passion and emotion not DJ's playing tapes of some other creative people.
There is nothing wrong with the garden villas themselves, they are large and comfortable but at no stage do you either believe you are in Bali or by the beach.
I wanted to explore the local shopping so the front desk called up a tuk-tuk type vehicle which dropped me at the front gate only - we walked a few hundred metres and then gave up.
I still have no idea how close we were to any of the wonderful shops that Seminyak is meant to have but I believe the front desk should be more pro-active in advising what and where some of the local activities are.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape hectic philosophies, and why not plunge into vibrant glitz amidst natural splendors? We're a new found playground along the shores of Seminyak, where trendsetting chic restaurants, clubs, fashions and eclectic galleries await discovery. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Orbitz, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your W Bali - Seminyak reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak Hotel Seminyak
- w Retreat And Spa Bali - Seminyak
- W Bali - Seminyak