“Major disappointment”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #19 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I had so been looking forward to a few days here - I hadn't been to Bali for many years and I love both the ocean and the W hotels - have stayed in the W in New York for New Years Eve and what could be better than the W on a beach.
Wrong.
There were many negatives and perhaps some of them belong to me.
One of the reasons I love New York is that I can walk out the front door and within seconds, I have a choice of hundreds of things to do in any direction - it is all there in front of me.
In Seminyak, the driveway itself is hundreds of metres long on cobble stones so you would tend to avoid it.
When we got to our room, you could see the beach but it was hundreds of metres away.
When I finally headed towards the beach I was warned that it was not suitable for swimming - that immediately was a total turnoff.
If I opened the room's balcony doors, we were immediately confronted by loud disco music.
The hotel must be a considered decision - if you are looking for a hip young exciting New York style hotel where you listen to DJ's playing music and spend the day and night drinking cocktails, then it is probably idyllic.
If perhaps you are older, looking for a quiet few days relaxing and swimming on the beach then I would suggest looking for a beach that allows you to do that.
Again my problem but I grew up in Melbourne where music meant listening to musicians themselves with some passion and emotion not DJ's playing tapes of some other creative people.
There is nothing wrong with the garden villas themselves, they are large and comfortable but at no stage do you either believe you are in Bali or by the beach.
I wanted to explore the local shopping so the front desk called up a tuk-tuk type vehicle which dropped me at the front gate only - we walked a few hundred metres and then gave up.
I still have no idea how close we were to any of the wonderful shops that Seminyak is meant to have but I believe the front desk should be more pro-active in advising what and where some of the local activities are.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RonWamberal
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2012

Hello RonWamberal,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am glad that you are a W fan and have experienced the one in New York. Yes, everything is right in front of you, but that is their strength in being a city hotel. Here in Bali, as a Retreat, our strength is to take you away from all the hustle and bustle, but still be close enough to the happening spots in the most happening part of Bali.

Visiting other W’s you will notice that nothing is done in the traditional sense, however we represent Bali in many subtle ways; paying respect to the destination. This can be seen primarily in our design.

The tuk-tuk type vehicles you speak of are actually golf buggies and are not suitable for the main road, which is why we can only take you to that point. To note, the length of the driveway is 510 meters. It is long, but then if our front door was located on the main road, we would be further from the beach!

We do hope that when you do return to Bali, you will still choose W. Please feel free to contact me if there are any other issues you would like to discuss. We want to keep you a W fan.

Reviewed February 10, 2012

Absolutely loved this hotel -- sexy, romantic and pulsing with positive energy. Best for couples with discreet places to chill around every corner. I loved ever second here -- so much so that decided to cancel day trip to Ubud to just relax.
Don't miss the fantastic breakfast buffet and gorgeous sunsets from your balcony or pool/bar/beach.

• Stayed: September 2011
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2012

Hello Jay8989,

Thank you for your fantastic review! It certainly sounds like you enjoyed your W Bali Experience. Though Ubud is lovely, I would also rather be watching the sunsets from our balcony.

Please be our W Ambassador and spread the word in Japan!

Reviewed February 8, 2012

The W Retreat & Spa Bali delivers on all the expectations one would have of a W hotel and more. The hotel has an an amazing fitout, is trendy and modern with Balinese subtlety throughout. The WOW factor is certainly present.

The staff were very friendly, professional and helpful throughout the hotel and nothing was a hassle.

The rooms are well appointed with a spacious bathroom with wonderful Bliss spa products The bedroom area is equipped with big screen TV, Bose surround sound system, Ipod dock, plenty of space and a very comfy bed.

The food and dining throughout the W is fantastic with Fire restaurant offering my preferred menu and delivering exceptional quality food. Creativity and flair abound throughout!

A very good expereince.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Hello bbwoods,

WOW! What a great review, thank you. We are glad we did not disappoint. When are you coming back? Let us know.

Reviewed February 7, 2012

Stayed in the 2 bedroom villa. Good points: the staff are very friendly and are always polite and professional. The pool area in the main complex is great, and we had no trouble getting drinks served. Starfish Blue restaurant is really good, try the oysters. The Villa is amazing, from the Bliss amenities to the super comfortable bed, free sunblock, bug spray and thongs! Go for the happy hour cocktails at Woo Bar from 6pm - 7pm. Wine is not cheap so get used to drinking cocktails!

Not so good points: we had to call the maintenance people about 5 times for things that were either broken or nearly broken. For a new hotel the villas are not aging well! The front door to the villa got jammed twice, and the door to bedroom two needed about 2 people to slide it open. Oh and don't forget that the lights need to be on in the open area for the blinds to work. We had a water feature in the open air lounge room that never worked.

We had to call nearly everyday for things that were not replaced (e.g. milk, tea bags etc) More attention to detail in the housekeeping section would be helpful.

Tips: the SPA has a plunge pool and oxygen therapy room which guests can use free of charge without having an appointment at the spa. We only found this out on the last day.

Most of the villas are away from the hotel, although you can catch a buggy to and from the foyer. This was OK for us as we went in low season but I would expect that there would be a lot of walking to and from in high season. And yes the roads are paved with these ridiculous stones that caused damage to every pair of high heels I bought!

In the reception area there are lounges that look out over the pool area. This is a perfect spot for breakfast as it's a cheaper option than the buffet breakfast in Fire Restaurant. You can choose from Continental, Bakery Basket, or hot breakfast and it comes with smoothies, coffee etc. Also there is free juice in the reception area (flavour changes everyday).

Don't get me wrong I LOVED the whole W experience and would highly recommend you stay here, it's close to all the restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Hello RachiBlack,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were delighted that you chose W Bali for the birthday celebration.

Thank you for raising your issues. I have already discussed this with the relevant departments. I am encouraged that this did not dissuade your W Experience and we do hope to welcome you back when you return to Bali.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

We staid for two nights at the W Retreat & Spa Bali and to be honest, we had a very very very good experience! Room was huge, equipped with all needed facilities (top notch) such as Wifi, Bar, Terrace, Chill-corner with sofa, etc. The hotel is very trendy and modern. Don't expect to find some Balinese traditional architecture but c'mon, when you book a room at W, you know exactly what you're looking for!
Check-in was a bit "weird"! We booked the room online and our reservation was not in the system! So we had to wait for one hour to get the room! We would have expected to get at least a drink while we were waiting. I mean when you pay 300$/night, you have pretty high expectations.
Otherwise, service was very good, even though it was quite annoying to pay four times the price for a smoothie (that you could get for 3-4$ at the corner shop).
Food at the restaurants was really good (strongly advise you to try out the Kobe Beef)!

Location in Seminiak is not too bad, probably 10min from city center (by foot). But a very negative point is the beach! First you cannot swim because of the strong current. Then, the beach is absolutely disgusting (covered with plastic bags, trashes, etc.), so you'll stick around the pool but don't expect to have a swim in the ocean!

So to sum-up, very trendy and modern hotel, top facilities and services. But you have to pay the price for them. Was it worth it? In my opinion, totally yes! But only for a few nights! After that, it can be boring, especially if you want to experience real Bali!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fonzarelly

Hello Fonzarelly,

Thank you for posting your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your W Experience, albeit too short. Apologies for the inconvenience at check-in. I will be sure that our Welcome Agents are more cognizant of our guests that have to wait to get their room.

To clarify, the beach in front of the Retreat is public. However, we do our part by providing beach cleaners for this area. With the wet weather upon us, we have actually increased the beach cleanings to twice a day.

We know that you came a long way to visit, but hope that you can make it back soon.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

Well walking into the W hotel I was blown away at the wow factor and it does have that affect, went had cocktails there the other day and thought they were quite pricy but what the hell I'm sitting in Bali at the W hotel so the next da I went back for lunch and really enjoyed it but the food was defenitaly missing the wow factor very average but nice nice. I think there seems to be a bit of attention to detail missing there small little things with regards to cleanliness. But let's seem my curiosity has got the better of me I'm booking into the hotel in a few days time for two nights to get the true and full W experience I'm sure there will be more to follow.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello seanrob_11,

It was great meeting you and your partner in the W Lounge. Loved that you booked your room so you can get the full W Experience. I’m sure there were many more WOW moments.

I look forward to reading your next review!

Reviewed January 31, 2012

Stayed at w with husband & teenage daughters. Enjoyed the ambiance of the w hotel very much. Stylish & hip. Staff were very friendly. Whatever whenever staff very efficient with dinner bookings at various restaurants in seminyak & with requests within the hotel. Well situated among fantastic restaurants & shops.

If I had to pick on something it would be the drive & walk into the hotel. The rocks & cobble stones are a great look but not good on the treads of your shoes. also the beach is not safe for swimming, but who needs beach when the pool is just beautiful with the most inviting lounges around.

We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: January 2012

Hello Sav07,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the time with your family at W Bali. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our Talent.

We do discourage people from swimming in the public beach, but you are correct – the WET pool area is beautiful.

Please let us know when you are ready to come back!