“WOW!”

Ranked #19 of 145 Hotels in Seminyak
Perth
“WOW!”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

My husband & I spent 9 nights in the W retreat & Spa, it was Wonderful,Welcoming, had the Wow factor, and What fantastice service, and food. Our first impressions were the hotel was not typical Balinese, but the reception area, rooms and pool areas were outstanding. The breakfast was amazing and not only did you have a fantastic choice from the buffet, but staff also served a variety of smoothies, drinks, and sample meals during the breakfast period. The food served round the pool area lived up to the same standards, best burger ever, and wonderful cocktails. All the staff made us feel so welcome and the service was first class, they always had a smile for the guests and nothing was too much trouble. If you venture out the Biku Restaurant just a few couple minutes from the hotel main entrance was very good and we also went into Bonita's again food good. The best restaurant by far was Ku De Ta, about 5 min taxi drive, food up to top quality international standards.

The only thing I would say is the " Wonderful Garden Rooms" are not at ground level and have no access to the garden areas, they overlook the gardens but from the hotel 1st - 4th floors. So a little mis-leading.

Finally, although our room was cleaned daily, we did notice, maybe not enough attention paid to shower, and bath area and floors, I will report this back to hotel.

But we would certainly reommend and would have no hesitation in returning, would love a villa, if we could afford it, they are amazing, and the pool is a really good size.

Room Tip: The villa's are spectacular if you can afford them! If not hotel rooms are large and very trendy...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Savannahsperth
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Hello Savannahperth,

Thank you for your review. I am so happy to hear that you were able to experience most of what W Bali has to offer; both on property and off!

There are always great specials available to our guests and can find one from our great travel partners in Perth or from our branded website.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Craig Seaward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Came to Bali to meet up with another family so we chose to splash out at the W with a 3 bedroom villa. It was so enormous and filled with everything you could imagine and then some... The main bedroom and bathroom was so big my entire family could have happily stayed here alone. The villas private swimming pool was gorgeous and twice daily service for fresh towels and Bliss products was appreciated so even with 7 people the villa always remained fresh and tidy.
I was so happy with the location, a little away from the heart of Seminyak however still close to some of the better restaurants like Metis, Sardine and Sarong and some nice shops. We ate in both of the W restaurants and had great meals there too and breakfast was newly offered at 2 locations so it was nice to have options however it's a difficult choice since both offer amazing ambience and views!
To be honest Seminyak is not the place for me (too hectic) however the positioning of the W is perfect so that you have a feeling of spaciousness and cannot see any other properties unless you are down on the beach, so well planned!
The W formula means that this hotel does not have any recognizable Balinese decor nor flavour however the staff are so gorgeously genuine, calm, happy and attentive like only the Balinese can be. Our favorite was Putu (concierge called here Whatever Whenever) and he touched our hearts providing insight into Balinese family life and culture. They really are a beautiful race and I return home with a calmer soul.

• Stayed October 2011
Hello SYDmelp,

Your review states exactly what I hope all our W Bali guests can experience. Spaciousness, privacy and comfort cannot express the designer’s intention more.

The locale also satisfies everyone’s desires if they are inclined to step off property. You just named 3 of my favorite restaurants and they are all within 10 minutes from W!

The whole point of opening Starfish Bloo for breakfast was to enhance the guest experience, but I laugh when I hear that you really don’t know how to decide. I think that is why guests find it so easy to not leave property – everything you need is here and if it isn’t Whatever/Whenever will try and find it for you.

Please let us know when you are ready to come back – we would love to have you!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed at the W for 4 nights to celebrate a special occasion, we made the right choice with W.
Right from the beginning, it was very easy to get in touch with GM Craig to help work on the special occasion and he was of great assistance with good communications, and it did not matter I was booked into the lowest category room.
The room was beautiful, looking into the garden with distant view of surrounding and the ocean. It's large and comfortable with lots of room to move and rest, especially with my favourite music pumping out of the Bose system. Just a note, the bathroom looks open, but there is a partition that close it up and separate the bathroom and bedroom completely, if you need it.
We really enjoyed breakfast at Fire every morning, the biggest issue I have was.. deciding what to order from the menu and then find room to fit in more food from buffet. If you stay through a Sunday, try the brunch too, I had way too much to eat. Sunset is great at either Woo bar or Ice bar, or just by Wet with many places to sit and drink cocktails and watch the sun go down beneath the Indian Ocean with tunes coming from the DJs. We had dinner at Fire and Starfish Bloo and both serves great food, with thanks to Craig for a most wonderful special dinner arrangement.
The pool area (Wet) is great, and throughout the 4 days I was there, it wasn't overcrowded or had screaming kids running up and down, there were children, but their parent were thoughtful enough and kept them in control, keeping a nice atmosphere for the rest of us and the staff were always on hand to bring towels or take drink orders.
The staff, all of them are extremely friendly and most are happy for a chat, some even remembered our names! Most of the staff I met and spoke to felt very proud to be working there, which is a nice difference from those working in hotels in Australia... They all spoke good English, certainly enough for me to have all my requests met and just as well, cause I am no good in indonesian at all! An extra special thanks to Craig and Iain (for local dining tip).
I could go on, but you should discover W yourself. Remember, it's a [W], so even in brining out the Balinese style, they do it in style (take a look back towards the main building from Wet), it may not be for everyone, but W works for us and when we next get back to Bali, we will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sky light bath room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello dimgai,

I think your review says it all because you have seen it all! As you have witnessed, I consider all my guests VIP and my hope (and your reaction) proves that this has cascaded down to all levels of Talent.

If you say that your biggest issue was what to order at breakfast, than we have done our job!

Please let me know when you are ready to return to Paradise. I think we should have a 2-for-1 sunset cocktail at WooBar. gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com

hong kong
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Wife and I traveled with our 17months old for 6 days to Bali for the 1st time. I have contacted Craig prior to our trips and he did a great job in getting the almost all of my wish list (thx) with the WHEELS pickup, the baby bed, quiet room and upgrade (upgrade to better room was promised but ocean view was not guarranteed). BTW, I am a SPG gold member. The car pickup was smooth and we were personally greeted as soon as we got off the car and the checkin process was smooth. I was impressed the staff presented a letter from Craig stating that he had upgraded me to an ocean view room on the 4th floor. We were very impressed with the room, big, nice, hip and the expected Bose system (I brought Barney's DVD). The shower room was big with skylight with remote door..cool.. I am particularly impressed with the personalization and high quality of service, all the reservation and arrangement were done precisely. I asked the whatever and whenever for a HDMI wire so I could connect my Canon DSLR to the TV and they soon brought up the wire. Although I really wanted to mini HDMI jack which they didn't have but they offered us that they could go out and get it for us if we wanted it, which I doubt most hotel would provide this level of service. A few staff were able to call me, my wife and daughter by our first names and most of the staff have very friendly smile. The breakfast is not just a buffet but you can also order from the menu, nice touch. We had dinner at the Starfish and we were absolutely impressed with the food and I recommend anyone to try it. They had this tuna on hot stone and the duck was just yummy. They had a buy one get one free cocktail from 6-7pm at the Woo bar with free pizza and I must say the pizza is just so good and juicy and the view of the sunset with the music just perfect. The gym is not big but with adequate equipment and the fact it opens 24 hrs is nice. My wife tried the spa and she really like the hip style huge room and she enjoyed the service. We had arranged for a nanny for one afternoon and it worked out very well and it costed around USD 5.5 per hour. The pool experience was very good and the staff sometimes bring complimentary teasing non-alcohol cocktail which also tasted really nice. They have a wired room (library) with a few Imac and printing service (1st 5 pages are complimentary). On our 2nd last day, the Starfish was opened for breakfast to the villa and suite guest and they have a few additional food item as compared to the Fire. Craig invited us to a SPG / villa / suite guests to a complimentary cocktail on a friday evening at Starfish and I thought it was very nice of him. We met a few friendly staff and guests and exchanged our Bali experience which was lovely. On the improvement side, the WIFI as other guests pointed out, we also had periodic drop off and no signal but once we voiced out, they brought a linkysys router and we didn't have a problem after that. I wish the AC in the FIRE is cooler because we were sweating even when we were inside dining the 1st night. I then found they have a wine cellar with a dinning table so they let us dine there halfway. One small issue we had was we ran out of cash and we knew we needed to pay the airport fee 150,000 local currency per person so we asked whether baby needs to pay. At least we were told no and then yes then I asked them to confirm and the final answer was yes. So I had to get extra cash for the exchange but later found that baby does not need to pay, I ended up with some extra local currency left.. oh well, I guess I have to come back to use it. Overall, I am very pleased and impressed with W Bali and thank you for the WOW experience!!

Room Tip: Asked for higher floor closer to the Star Fish restaurant so that you are not too close to the loud...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank cidernet
Hello cidernet,

Thank you for posting your lovely review. To realize that your stay has not only exceeding your expectations, but also your family’s was a pleasure to hear. You pointed out some of my favorite services that the Retreat provides, especially Whatever/Whatever. On a daily basis, we try to exceed this for every facet of your stay.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the “Who’s Who” cocktail on Friday nights. It is a great opportunity to meet and greet the Management Team of W Bali. We try to do this at every touch point, but the Who’s Who setting is very special, especially with the sunset as your backdrop.

We are glad to hear that the W Bali Experience lived up to your expectations and hope to welcome you and your family back to paradise soon.

London
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed at the W Bali for four nights in July this year, and were blown away by this hotel. We have been fortunate to stay in some amazing hotels around the world, and the W is up there with them all.

The pool area is simply beautiful and a great place to hang out during the day. We are a reasonably young (mid 30s) couple without children, so although the resort is child friendly the pool area was reasonably 'civilised' and kids didn't detract from relaxing by the pool.

We stayed in a Spectacular Ocean View room, which although the ocean view wasn't that spectacular (I think the more expensive rooms face the nicer and closer beach) the room definitely was. The Bose stereo system (a proper one, not just a 'dock') convinced me to buy one when I got home!

It really seems like they have gone all out to wow you at the W, and it succeeded. The glitz may not appeal to all, and our stay in an eco lodge in Ubud after the W was a nice contrast, but if you're young (or young at heart), you'll love the resort.

Room Tip: The Spectacular Ocean View rooms look over another building to see the ocean, so not the most amazin...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amberandtim
Hello amberandtim,

Thank you for your amazing review. We really appreciate that fact that as W fans you could see what we are trying to accomplish. Being located in Seminyak brings more appeal for those who like to venture outside. We believe that we can bring what is unseen to the forefront of those who welcome what is new and next about Bali.

Let us know when you are ready to come back. We would love to have you!

Reviewed October 29, 2011

We stayed at the W in beginning of September (just writing the review now) and had a great time. We've been to many other other W hotels in other cities and this one definitely lives up to the W name.

The pool area is great, but what we really loved was the access to the beach. Although the beach is public (and you can't really go into the water because the waves are too big), the big itself is marvelous to just have a nice stroll. Very few people on the beach, clean, very wide, and nice sand.

We only ate the breakfast buffet there, but what we had was very good, high quality and good variety.

The room itself was very chic and hip - in line with the W style. It may not feel as "Bali" as some other resorts we've stayed at, but we enjoyed it very much.

Only complaint would be the service still needs some work. We've read other reviews about the relatively lower service level and can attest that this is true. While the "kids" working there are very nice, they're not necessarily the best trained. No major hiccups, but generally not in line with other 4 or 5-star resorts in Bali that we've stayed at.

Spa was "ok". Nothing spectacular and not as good as the Bliss Spa in another city we've been to.

Room Tip: Ocean view room is very nice! Worth the extra money.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Koalatree
Hello koalatree,

We appreciate you posting your review and advising your feedback. We are always trying to lift the bar in regards to service and have taken your notes to the team so that can continue raising our level of service.

The walks on the beach are certainly a highlight of our property. Though you cannot swim for safety reasons, there is still so much to appreciate about our location. Hopefully you were able to see more and if not, we hope that you return and can keep spreading the news as a W Ambassador.

Please feel free to reach out when you decide to return. Gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com

Reviewed October 29, 2011

I recently had a one week stay at The W in Bali with my family and can only recommend that you do the same thing if you get the chance. I will get my one complaint out of the way, which is that we booked connecting rooms and di not get them for the first night. For some reason, this is ALWAYS a problem when travelling with kids and you should really be able to expect a 5 star hotel to accomodate what must be a common request. Other than that we had a wonderful stay. The rooms are tremendous and very comfortable. Whilst not a fan of breakfast, I have to say that the breakfast served at the hotel was excellent. The pool and beach area were both very good, as was the Woo Bar. Brunch at the Starfish Bloo venue was also excellent. All in all a very very good holiday venue.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Hello Hardtopleaseofhk,

Thank you for your wonderful review. Apologies that we could not accommodate your inter-connecting room request. Because of our design, we only have 18 and cannot guarantee this. I am happy to hear that this did not dissuade your time at W Bali. I think your family will enjoy this property for years to come and hope you return very soon. Please let us know when you are ready to come back!