“It is grand and plainly over the top”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #19 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed August 12, 2011

The new W is grand, magnificent but unfortunately not Bali in any way. Rooms are good, restaurants are sort of average (prices are simply outrageous eg nasi goreng for well over Rp200.000 - 15 times the price of the real good stuff just outside the front entrance), and service is okay but all in all it could be a hotel anywhere in the world. If you are coming to Bali for anything approaching a Bali/Indonesian experience then the W is not for you. Next time we will head for a hotel that is real. It was out mistake cos we fell into the trap og being over impressed by he website. By the way the beach in front of the hotel is renowned as quite dangerous - be careful.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank denpasar52
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Hello denpasar52,

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review. We are glad that you appreciated the facilities. In regards to design - we have taken the inspiration from traditional Balinese mythology and juxtaposed with W Hotels energy and dynamic aesthetics. We have put our own twist to the Bali W Experience.

You are right, we do advise guests not to swim in front of our Retreat as the rip is quite strong. However, our WET area is an ideal alternative.

Please contact me if you like to share more input. gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com

Warm wishes,

Reviewed August 11, 2011

A holiday, is a holiday is a holiday...unless you stay at The W Seminyak, and then it's a WOW experience that leaves you wanting to move in for good and relax in the lap of luxury..I wish...sadly I'm still working to earn a living! My husband and I spent nine days in this glorious hotel and it lived up to the W brand expectation, plus more. The staff were nothing short of fabulous, friendly and fashionable....and I mean each and every one we met. The facility is nothing short of the type of fabulous that makes you really feel like you are on the set of some glamorous movie. The background (low volume) music just adds to the atmosphere, as do the sunset drinks and DJs at night, the beautiful restaurants, the golf buggies to the front gate, the fully equipped gym and the out of this world spa. I cannot fault this hotel, and am ready to book our next adventure. This makes Bali seriously good fun - as relaxing and glam as you want it to be - and seriously, a WOW WOW WOW experience! Try it for yourself! Julie and James xoxo

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Hello Julie & James,

My day gets better reading reviews like this – thank you! The team will be happy to hear these comments. I’m trying to decipher what was your favourite part, but I will just have to ask you and James next time you are back! Hopefully this is sooner rather than later. Thanks again for the WOW review!

Reviewed August 10, 2011

We've reading so much about this resort on tripadvisor before we give it a go. I've been wanting to visit a W (due to the toiletries~Bliss) and finally my hubby n i decided to give it a go at W Bali, for a babymoon before i get too heavy to travel.

The first impression at the lobby was awesome, with the sounds of wind chimes in the lobby, sea view and beautiful trees and sofas w colourful cushions. Unfortunately the resort was really busy and they were sort of understaffed and we had to wait more than an hr for our room. However the lady at the reception did try to make us comfortable by offering us welcome drinks and got us a nice corner to chill out a bit (it was really hot).

the pool was great, ~large and they hv a few small jaccuzzi corners surrounding the pool.

room was excellent! WOW!! though we had to walk a bit far to reach the room, but it was really a surprised. i mentioned that we're there for babymoon, i guess the hotel management must hv misunderstood that we're bringing a baby along and they prepared a bottle sterilizer, warmer n a cute cot w some baby shampoo in it!! The bathroom was also awesome, w a huge tub and skylight. a little let down is the water pressure though, which was just abit low ... which is well compensated by the Bliss toileteries they provide so generously!!

There were a few restaurants at the resort, and all were of high standards with good food and drinks! The buffet brekkie at The Fire was also very special whereby we could choose our own mug of various sizes and designs from the rack, giving it an extra personal touch. Eventhough there wasn't a huge variety from the buffet, there is a special ala carte menu from which one could order from freely, with a good range of yummy cuisine prepared on request. All the members of the staff were very pleasant and friendly, even though some of the waiters looked new to the job, they were all polite and tried their best in helping.

Food from The Starfish Bloo was really good, w yummy dessert, must try! the portion is rather small though.

The beach from the hotel offer a good stroll , though it's not advisable to swim there due to the strong waves.

The spa n gym looks cool, but did not go for the spa as i was 5 mths pregnant. and it wasnt a Bliss spa by the way...

All in all, the experience at the resort was great, though it's a bit too costly. We might consider to return if we find a good deal one day :)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Hello Varnteing,

What a great way to spend a babymoon! If you’re going to do it, do it in style. The Bliss amenities are fantastic even with all the choices of Balinese amenities. The reason we do not have a Bliss Spa is because we are a Retreat as opposed to a city W and the Retreats have the AWAY Spas. It sounds like there was plenty to do for you and I think by now your little one has arrived, so CONGRATULATIONS!

All the best,

Reviewed August 9, 2011

Just spent time @ the W.. the rooms are fantastic and well equipped. The architecture is great and the service is world class. The gym is excellent and the Nasi Goreng at FIRE was innovative and well priced for a 5 star.

The real let down for this hotel is it's disconnection from the soul of bali. I may be speaking out of turn however after 20 years of travel to Bali I would say a completely new traveller to Bali could exist within the W, visit a few of the top restaurants, call it done and miss out on the essence of the place.

Spend time @ the W, it's a wonderful addition to the area although don't make it your only stop.. there's much to experience on this wondering island.

Room Tip: ocean view rooms are worth the extra $50
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Hello mekanoid,

Thank you for staying with us and posting your review. I have shared your great comments with the team. You are right, Bali is such a mystical island and there really is so much to experience. With our location, it is a nice center point for all destinations in Bali. We do hope you return, even if it is for the Nasi Goreng!

Reviewed August 7, 2011

We spent 2 nights at the W in Seminyak Bali, and the hotel is very well located just a sort distance away from Potato Head and a short cab ride away from the main eating/shopping street of Seminyal. Cabs are easily available and cheap.

We stayed in the ocean facing room which had a lovely view but I think given that you're in Bali, one should indulge in the more elaborate local Balinese Villas for the same if not less amount of $.

The W chain lived up to its reputation, good spread of variety at breakfast, lovely drinks at the pool and bar but again if one visits Bali, it would not be the complete experience unless one lives in a nice Balinese Villa which is too beautiful and hard to comprehend in words.

Overall a lovely stay but overpriced for a place like Bali where competition is steep with a wide variety of even lovelier spas and villas available. We also went for the midnight promotion at the Away Spa, the first Spa operate 24/7 and althouh an interesting chic concept, again not quite worth the pricetag.

We moved on to the Alila villas after 2 nights in the W and I have to say the villa experience was what completed the Bali experience!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hayhayz

Hello hayhayz,

Thank you for posting your review. The view from the Ocean Facing Retreats is lovely and you just never get sick of it. It is nice that you complemented your stay with villas. Were you able to check out the villas at W? They are very private, spacious and all have pools. Let us know when you are coming back and if you want to give them a try. reservations.wbali@whotels.com

Reviewed August 6, 2011

Cannot fault Staff - amazing people & so very friendly!
Cannot fault facilities of resort, it has everything and more and heaps of it!
The resort is large enough to not feel over crowded and there are plently of areas to get personal space.
The rooms & all fittings & features are luxury - great quality and very very comfortable, heaps of room to move around. Oh and the BOSE sound system in the room...amazing!
All tours and any info required can be obtained from the Welcome desk, which made it very easy to get around for a first time visitor like myself.
Accommodation rates may be higher than others but definately worth every dollar.
Day spa was awesome!
Special thanks to the house keeping staff who always managed to clean up after our mess each day. I was amazed at the detail of their cleaning & tiding up!
Only con:
menu at restaurants are not designed for the fussy eater. I found it hard to get a "simple" dish but outside the resort, there are heaps of other places to grab a meal.
Well done guys, a top place to stay and will definately be back & recommended to all.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Hello fromFNQ,

Well that is just a fantastic review, thank you! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at W Bali and I will be sure to pass along your nice comments to the relevant departments, especially Style (Housekeeping).

We do look forward to welcoming you back and when we do, we’ll whip up something in simple for you!

Warm wishes,

Reviewed August 4, 2011

The W is certainly a gorgeous hotel especially for those who would appreciate contemporary and hip designs. For those who won't appreciate it and would prefer to feel like they are in bali, you probably should look at other hotels then. Like other people said, being in the resort, you won't be able to tell you are in bali, but hey, for myself, if I want to feel like I'm in Bali, I'd just venture outside the hotel (but really, since the whole area is developed to support tourism, do you really get the real bali when you're in the south?)

We got a room with a partial ocean view. That being said it was obstructed by construction. When I complained about it, I was told that I can get a better room but I have to pay extra. For the price that I've paid, I didn't expect to have partial ocean view where partial means it's partially obstructed by construction. They should have disclosed that before people are booking the room, so that's a few points take away for the service right there (we kind of feel like we're cheated with the lack of disclosure). The construction isn't part of the W, but still, someone should've said something. Otherwise, the INSIDE of the room is beautiful. Love the rainfall showerhead and the tub. The shower/tub area is so big, you can dance little circles in it (okay, we're honeymooners) with the music blasting. Amenities-wise, they're pretty sweet. I like the bliss spa products and it's nice that you get to use them during your stay there.

The pool area is gorgeous. The pools are in levels as to mimic the rice fields which is a pretty cool area. Beach area is nice, although the waves are so big the waters' not suitable for swimming, but still it's pretty nice to walk around, especially at sunset. The few (overpriced) drinks that I had around the pool area wasn't that great though so I would save that money for drinks elsewhere.

The gym was great and they have everything that a usual hotel gym would have and more such as a boxing bag and they provide you with boxing gloves and yoga mats as well (I guess not many people would care about the boxing bag, but I do boxing, so that was special to me since it's the first time I've seen one at a hotel).

The spa is nice as well. A bit futuristic looking so it doesn't really exude the "zen" feeling, but it's a cool spa. It's also open for 24 hours although there's less therapists available in the late night hours. You just have to book about a day or so in advance for any treatment. While normally when you're facing head down the massage chair you'd be seeing a bowl of water with flowers floating inside, you're looking at a computer screen with supposedly images that gives you "happy feelings" which is a new concept (although I'd prefer my bowl of floaty flowers). The massage is good. The package that I've picked also includes an express manicure, and while the ladies gave us a really good massage and was very nice, my manicure wasn't the greatest (I know it's sort of free since it's part of a promotion, but it shoudn't be bad looking) since it's a bit uneven and the clear polish she put over the coloured one is lumpy. In addition, the lady told me that the polish should dry within 15 minutes, but since they've guided us to the outdoor spa area, I knew that it won't be dry in 15 minutes (and by the way, it's a pretty gorgeous outdoor area)...it's actually still semi soft in 1 hour. Gotta train your staff to know the products! Overall I had a good time at the spa though (but you can't really have a bad time when they serve you alcohol - I had champagne - which not many spas would).

The only restaurant that we went to was the Fire Restaurant. Breakfast is overall pretty delicious. However, they can be understaffed, thus service is not as great around 1 hour before breakfast is over. One thing I don't understand is that they would take orders for you from the a la carte menu, and get you your orange juice, but when you ask them for juice that would be available at the buffet tablet, they'll tell you to get it yourself. It's the same distance to the orange juice!!! There are times that they're so busy that you'd might be entirely ignored when you get to the door. That is pretty sad for a W. Another thing I don't get is that I see some of the staff trying to get food for themselves close to the end when breakfast is cut off thus impeding other customers from getting their food. Get this: you paid to be there to get your food, but you have to wait for the staff to get their food first? They shouldn't even be doing that at the buffet section! If they were to do that they should go to the kitchen! That's ridiculous and if I were one of the owners of the hotel/management, I'd be ashamed of my staff's behaviour!

And while I'm on the subject of "service", we had a bad impression of the hotel to begin with. It's high season, so they should have more staff working at the reception area to greet guests as they come in (maybe even provide a welcoming drink), but instead, there's only 3-4 people their at one time. The 1 person amongst those 4 people always ignores everyone else and focuses on their paper work although if they're taught proper customer skills they should greet whoever is in front of them first and at least tell them that they will be with them shortly. Which reminds me, there are times when you press the "whenever whatever" button on their phone, no one answers it...so it's really not "whenever" is it? (I overheard some other people complaining about no one answering the phone when they press it)

The only few people who I can say gave us great service is the one guy who helped us bring our luggage to the room and he actually remembered our names throughout the stay and greets us with a nice smile all the time. He also helps us with getting taxis to venture out the hotel or drive us out with the buggy pretty promptly. One of the girls at the reception was pretty nice as well in helping us find out the opening hours of a store. But aside from that, service was only memorable in the negative sense.

If management is reading this, please please PLEASE train your staff in their customer service skills and take care of the understaffing issue, especially during high season. Everyone would have a nicer stay during their vacation if the service part is taken care of. People put up enough dough staying at your hotel and your staff shouldn't act like they're just working at just any hotel (it's like 4-5 star surroundings and price, 2-3 star service at times). It's supposed to be a W!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank PrincessPrima

Hello PrincessPrima,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am happy to hear that you found the W gorgeous. Apologies that the service standard did not meet your expectations.

In regards to the staffing issue, we have over 500 Talents and are continuously working on improving our service levels with training sessions for all departments. I have spoken with the departments you mentioned and will take care to see that other guests’ experiences are not affected in the same way.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to share more input: gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.