“Simply WWWonderful”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #18 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I have to give it to the W. They really understand service and how to run a top notch hotel. And doing so in a competitive hotel market in Bali is no small feat. I've visited numerous properties across the island and the W stands out in the top 5. I've listed some of what makes this hotel one of the best choices in Bali below:

-Great location and not locked away in Nusa Dua like the other large luxury hotels. Seminyak is a great town and the restaurants/shops that surround the hotel are incredible. For something more casual I HIGHLY recommend Biku. I went there on a daily basis during my stay. Cheap, affordable and delicious.
-Quite possibly the best service that I have ever received at a hotel. The staff is all there to please and you will never find one without a smile on their face. The "whatever, whenever" motto truly prevails.
-I never thought that I would encounter a better breakfast buffet than the one in Shangri La Singapore, however, this one gives it a run for the money
-Beautiful pool that conjures up images of the Bali rice terraces that everyone loves
-Excellent sleep on some of the most comfortable beds and linens you can imagine. Great soaking bathtub and rain shower to rinse off after a busy and hot day. Comfortable balcony overlooking the pounding 10 foot surf that will lull you to a deep deep sleep at night.
-Perfectly manicured grounds and excellent location on the beach.

In terms of negative feedback I don't have much to say. Since they had only been open for a couple of months on our arrival I was surprised they weren't encountering more teething problems. I do think that their restaurants are VERY overpriced and the fact that there are so many incredible and much cheaper dining options in the vicinity the resorts restaurants tend to be void of people.

Thank you for a WWWonderful stay and next time we go to Bali we hope to visit again!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank BostonEsan
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2011

Hello BostonEsan,

What a fantastic review! We thank you for your thoughtful words and we cannot wait to welcome you back. You’re right - our W Signature beds are amazingly comfortable and the sound of the waves in the background guarantees a good night’s sleep.

We are very proud of our venues at W Bali, and love that we are located in Seminyak where we are surrounded by a trendsetting community in regards to design, fashion, music and cuisine!

Let us know when you are ready to come back – hopefully sooner rather than later.

Reviewed June 23, 2011

My husband and I have been watching the construction of the W for a few years now, and were very keen to try it out. We know the area very well (frequent visitors to Bali, staying at Sentosa, Cicada and The Legian - all in the vicinity of the W). Coming up to Bali on this trip for a wedding, we booked 5 nights at the W.

Pros:
Everything you'd expect decor, food and facility-wise from a W hotel. Fabulous.
Excellent gym with plenty of cardio machines, free weights and a Smiths machine.
The sound of the waves is truly special and although you can't swim in the ocean, the view is unmatchable.

Cons (unfortunately all experienced within the first 20 mins of arrival):
Upon check-in, we were simply handed a key. We weren't shown to our room, we weren't told where the lifts were, what floor we were on or how to get there - so no-one introduced us to the room itself or any of the facilities within it (a shame, because as you discover them for yourself, they're pretty cool). Breakfast was included for us, but we had no idea where it was served or what time it kicks off. All these are things we have since explored and found out for ourselves, but to not be introduced to the hotel and informed of even the most basic things on offer is a massive failing on behalf of the check-in staff (of which there were many and therefore could have attended to us). This is 5-star-hotel 101. If we were told about AWAY (spa) and that it's 24/7 etc, we'd be more inclined to use it, same thing for the Sweet Spots and Whatever/Whenever service. Huge, huge flaw I hope they remedy.
The surface of the driveway up to the hotel is ridiculously bumpy and needs to be addressed.
As motorbike riders, the distance of the carpark from the hotel isn't ideal, but would be easier to deal with if it was well lit at night.
The windchimes in the reception area are a great idea, but fail miserably. They don;t chime, they bang like hell. SO LOUD! As a result, communicating with check-in staff was difficult and I firmly believe their constantly confused and disoriented behaviour is as a because they simply can't concentrate.

I think we'll be returning to our previous hotels on further trips to Bali, but the W has SO much potential.

Hello Marika,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. As you were anticipating our opening, we are pleased that you did make a reservation and discovered all the things that make W Bali stand out.

In regards to your points above we would like to assure you that have addressed the check-in process with our Welcome Team. You will also be happy to know that we have cut all the chimes out of the Lounge area, but we have still kept the integrity of the design in place. It is still beautiful to watch the Retreat transform from day to night.

Lastly, we are looking into options for alternative remedies to our paths and driveway.

We do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to W Bali the next time you are in Paradise.

Reviewed June 22, 2011

We left Bali in awe of this amazing resort from start to finish, on our return to Perth I went to book another stay here as I was so impressed......but was very upset to find the prices have more than doubled:( You have an amazing place but please don't get greedy like all the others......Please!! We also have friends who have seen our pics and heard our reviews and wanted to stay here too but they were turned off by the current prices.

My husband and I married in Bali 2 years ago and we are regulars to the island, last visit we stayed at the beautiful "Haven Seminyak" in a pool villa and after staying there we said we would never stay anywhere else again....but when booking our next trip we were shocked as the prices had doubled! so we researched and came across "W". We booked a pool villa for just over $460 per night on expedia. For Bali this is pricey but as it was our wedding anniversary we thought we would treat ourselves. A treat it was!!!!! I can't even begin to describe the staff, The english spoken was faultless!!! They also offer the"Whatever whenever service" were they promise anything your heart desires (as long as it's legal) We used this service a few times and within minutes our needs were met, 24 hours a day!!! Breakfast was brilliant, from the moment you entered the restaurant. It's all about CHOICE!!! You are asked to choose a cup from the wall, which is filled with every colour, shaped, mug, teacup, espresso glass etc. etc. then on sitting inside or out you can choose buffet or ala carte or BOTH!! also real coffee!!!which Bali hotels tend to lack..... all at no extra cost. Then the food.....I cannot even mention a fraction of what they offer, they even have desserts, at breakfast!!! My favourites were the pastries, a choice of atleast 10 different types which changed daily!!! also I loved the trays of bites circling the room, tasty little treats where brought to each table and offered (an example, mini eggs benedict servings or little shots of passionfruit puree/nector)
Another highlight for us was STARFISH BLOO! wow wow wow!!! we dined here 2 nights out of 4 and each course we found ourselves oooing and ahhhhing over ever bite! nothing short of amazing!!! Maybe we were celebrating the food a little loudly or maybe it's just the chef being so involved in his restaurant but we were soon joined by the famous Jack Yoss. What a talented man, we heard the story behind the making of starfish bloo and some of the finer details that went into its creation. We have been raving about him ever since to anyone that will listen:) If we cannot stay here again we will definately still be dining here when in Bali!!!! I'm already having withdrawels from his Sweet corn and crab bisque.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
I must say I was hesitant to write this review, as I know with new hotels as popularity increases so do prices. This is very unfortunate for the guests that helped make the place popular. I think a small increase is fine but more than doubling!!! I doubt we will be able to go back, sadly. We definately are not tight when it comes to money but $931.70 per night is just plain greedy....
I'm sorry this has effected your perfect rating from us but I'm sure most will agree this is Bali where the dollar goes far. We do hope to stay again please reconcider your price hike.....Thank you so much for such a beautiful holiday:)

Room Tip: checkout all the sites for cost before booking;)
3  Thank Maris80

Hello Maris80,

You sound like you really enjoyed your time at W Bali. It is such a special place and now that you are an Insider, we love that you are spreading the word, thank you!

In regards to the pricing issue – you actually stumbled upon our introductory special for the Fantastic One Bedroom Villas (“Fantastic Deals” package), which was only valid for travel until June 30, 2011. This why you see a difference in rate when trying to book again. Depending on when you wanted to travel again, we do have excellent specials including our “Sweet Deals” package available from $713USD per night. This rate already includes a 15% discount, daily breakfast in FIRE (maybe we can find your same mug!), and return airport transfers for 2. You just have to stay a minimum of 3 nights.

Feel free to contact our reservations for more information at reservations.wbali@whotels.com. FYI – Chef Jack is about to update the menu at Starfish Bloo, so we want you to come back!

Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights on honeymoon. It is newly opened and is really chilled out place for a 5 star hotel. The rooms are class and pool area is perfect and right on the beach. It was a well worthwhile treat and we got upgraded as well to ocean view room whichwas a bonus. I would say nicest hotel i've stayed in ever.

1  Thank Padhric

Hello Padhric,

Congratulations on your nuptials and we are thrilled that you chose W Bali as the place to start this new chapter in your life! Hopefully we will see you back again – have you started planning your anniversary yet?

Reviewed June 20, 2011

It had been 10 years to the day since my last visit to Bali. In the last decade
I have logged in over 600 hotel nights at Starwood properties in over 25
different countries. The W Hotel brand has become the pride and joy of Starwood.
They set the new standard of eclectic ambiance and over-the-top indulgence. The
W Retreat and Spa Bali by far is the most exotic and seductive property I have
personally ever experienced. I do not make that statement lightly as I have been
to the finest properties in the World.

Whenever we come across something of great beauty and extraordinary pleasure we
feel compelled to share it! To make claim to our discovery. To inspire others to
feel the beauty so that we can relate it back to each other. This review is my
opportunity to tell those adventurous Traveler's that will not compromise for
anything less then the best about my experience of 7 nights in our private 2
bedroom Villa in the brand new W Retreat and Spa Bali

First off, know that it takes more then pure luxury to titillate the sense's. It
requires also the Mastery of the Staff to ensure that all Guests feel like
Royalty. The Staff at The W Retreat and Spa Bali mastered that! Guest's are
greeted by name with warm authentic smiles and friendly gestures. The property
itself sits back from the main area of the artsy town of Seminyak. You feel like
you are entering through the gates of some enchanted Temple from The Lost World
as you make the approach to the main lobby. There are burning torches that light
the way. From the moment you check-in you feel the energy of pure Bliss that
radiates all around you. Here are some incredible highlights worth making
special mention of:

The Away Spa: this is one of the most luxurious Spa's I have ever Indulged. I
had several treatments during my stay. The Therapists are beautiful and
professional. You are taken away into the exotic flavors of relaxation. Check
out the Oxygen Zone where you can hook up to pure oxygen tanks for a little
refueling!

The Beach: Despite the fact that the surf is too intense to actually swim in,
the private beach makes you feel as if you are guest star in an episode of
"Lost"! The sand is clean and soft and you'll see a few dogs and even some
horses galloping in the surf.

The Woo Bar: Talk about "over-the-top" this is like Club Dre's on steroids! It
overlooks the pool area and beach. Amazing cocktails! Try the "Rice Patty" which
actually comes with a clump of live rice from a Bali patty.

"Starfish Bloo" and "Fire": are amazing! You cannot miss the $35 a person all
you can eat Breakfast extravaganza! Ian is the Director of Cusine and he always
makes a cheerful presence with his rich Scottish accent! He will come over and
sit beside you and ask you to offer him feedback about his dishes. The food is
delicious. From smoked Ox-tongue to authentic Balinese dishes to the ordinary
made-to-order omelet, not only will you will never go away with an empty belly
but you will never be satisfied with any other buffet after this experience! You
even get to select your own personal coffee mug from about 300 individual pieces
of art!
At Starfish Bloo we indulged in an elaborate 8 course "Mercy of the Chef" and we
were not disappointed. Chef Jack went above and beyond to tantalize all of our
taste buds! He shared with us his story of starting out as a humble dish washer
at 16yrs of age in Vegas to years later evolving into the greatest Chef of any
Starwood property I have ever had the great fortune to dine with. He doesn't
mess around when it comes to fine cuisine.

Accommodations: The Villa's are a bit more money but we took advantage of an
advertised web site special and booked them for almost 30% off! Prior to this
stay the best room I ever experienced was the Presidential Suite at The Diplomat
Hotel and Resort in Hollywood, Florida. To be quite honest, I would pass on the
Presidential to experience a private Villa at The W Retreat and Spa Bali. (to
purchase one you can expect to pay NORTH of $2mm USD.)
There is no way to give it justice except through photos! But again, it is The
Staff and Team members that make this property more then just ubber-luxurious!
For example, One night I had fallen prey to a light case of Bali Belly. I called
over to "Whatever/whenever" to ask about some Tums antacids and instead they
sent over two nurses with a suitcase of pharmaceuticals! They pampered me with
bedside manner and within a few hours I was ordering room service! My very
favorite thing about the Villa? THE OUTDOOR SHOWER!!!

T.J. Is director of sales and marketing. He greeted me upon my arrival and kept
an eye out for us during the stay to ensure we had everything we needed to make
this an unforgettable experience. It was my Godson's 23 birthday. Now since
Nathan is an Actor in Los Angeles he has experienced a little pampering but the
level that the W Retreat and Spa Bali offered up went beyond "A list"! At
breakfast they presented Nathan with a three layer smoked decadent chocolate
cake that had a trailing mist of white smoke hovering over the plate. They kept
hiding surprise gifts in the room. They had a Birthday Balloon in which he wrote
down his birthday wish and then with the help of three huge helium filled
balloons set it a drift to the heavens!

Of all the Staff and Team members the one person that truly has instilled
through example the fine art of hospitality is the General Manager: Mr. Craig
Seaward.
Craig resides on Property with his wife and two lovely children. You can tell
that his passion is the eloquence of making each Guest feel like the Top VIP! He
is approachable and truly cares about your experience of his property. He has no
pretension when it comes to connecting with a Guest. He has spent over 20 years
in Indonesia so he has an authentic understanding of the culture and the people.
Therefore, he has crafted the feeling of true organic Balinese culture within
the Property despite the fact that you are staying in a corporate Hotel. A Guest
feels like you are whisked away to a timeless place of traditional Bali while
being able to indulge in a 6 star resort amenities. Craig has invested his heart
and soul to creating a place that is as magical and enchanting as the beautiful
Island of Bali. He is truly a real man of exquisite taste, distinction, and more
importantly, I left there feeling like I made a true friend.

Special Mention: To truly experience Bali like a local Balinese and not a
Tourist I HIGHLY recommend you use Dewa Pont as your Personal Tour Guide. On all
three of my visits to Bali I have retained his services. Dewa is very
personable, reliable, safe, trust worthy, knowledgeable, experienced and most
importunely he knows the "off the beaten path" high lights of Bali. He is like
the "W Hotel" of Bali Tour Guides! Tell him Mitch referred you and you'll get a special All Day Rate of $65 USD (8 hrs)
His email is: [--] and his cellular number is [--]

Look, I work really hard to maintain my Platinum status with Starwood because
they have by far the best loyalty program in the vacation industry. Therefore I
must make it known that if you step up and reward yourself with this experience
it will forever alter how you perceive vacations. This is like the Top of the
Bucket List for a Gold or Platinum Starwood VIP. You cannot find more value and
more luxury then this property. Every day My Godson and I played REAL hard. An
example of which is getting up at 2:00am to take a 2.5 hour hike up an active
volcano to catch the sunrise! By the end of that 19 hour day there was no better
heaven to arrive to then The W Retreat and Spa Bali for pampered bliss and warm
smiles and unadulterated beauty!

The hardest part of the journey was having to bid farewell. As my trusted Guide
and "Bali Bli" Dewa explained to me, when I asked him to tell me the Balinese
word for "goodbye"; He said - "In Bali we have no expression for "good bye" only
one for "see you again"

Se Lama di Bali!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Baba M

Hello BabaDas,

WOW! We are so delighted that you & Nathan enjoyed your trip to W Bali and thank you for all your kind words. It means a lot when someone takes the time to write a review and in such detail. All your special mentions have been shared with the team, along with our Divisional Office.

We know it is a long way from the US, but we do look forward to your return…even though you have already checked us off your bucket list! You truly are a W Insider now!

Cannot wait to welcome you and Nathan back!

Warm wishes,

Reviewed June 19, 2011

Once we entered the hotel, our WOW experience begins!!

We arrived in the evening n we were delighted to be received with exciting music playing at the lobby! It makes feel relaxed n certainly landed in the right place.

Reception experience was great!! We were automatically upgraded to sea facing room cos it was available. We were escorted to the room by the same reception staff that checked us in! Angel was a great host!Our room were ready for us with music already playing in our room! Thumb up for that!

Sounds of waves can be heard in our rooms even with closed sliding door. Some might find that noisy but we enjoyed that cos it makes us felt very relaxed! Also musics that was playing from the bar can be heard in our room till late in the night. Again could be noisy for some people but we enjoyed that as we were night birds.

The 'whenever whatever' service Really live up to their promise. They really very polite and tried their best to fulfill every request.
Due to a last min change of flight, We requested for a later check out till 4pm only about 10am ( we were supposed to cheek out by 12nn). They obliged despite running quite full.

The only area for improvement could be the speed to which calls are answered.

I must said says their staff are very well groomed n trained. Consist service throughout the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed June 18, 2011

My wife and I stay here for 8 nights and from the start we were welcomed with smiles and opened arms. The rooms are a very good size and set out great with top quality decor. The resort is amazing from the front foyer to large pool area with funky bar and restaurants. With there motto being What Ever When Ever, it make this resort the best we have stayed at in Asia. We can't wait to go back.

1  Thank ADDROCKER