“Central location but hotel rooms near the entrance are noisy”
Review of The Haven Bali

The Haven Bali
Ranked #59 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This was my second stay at the hotel. The first time we had a suite room which had a big balcony over looking a quiet pool area. This time round we stayed in the hotel room which was sparsely decorated, one king size bed. side tables and desk with a upright chair. My main problem with the room was that it was very noisy. The room was facing the pool and situated quite close to the lobby. In the middle of the night we could hear people talking as they make their way back to their rooms and you can forget about sleeping in if someone decides to go swimming at 7am in the morning. The management was nice enough to move us to the suite the next day which made it a little better. My advice is that if you are used to staying in 5 stars accommodation, book either the suite or villa.

2  Thank SelinaE
Write a ReviewReviews (1,916)

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was my second stay at The Haven and I was not as impressed on this stay as i was the last time i visited.

Pros:
- rooms are spacious and inviting, we stayed in the suites however hotel rooms are a reasonable size for a couple of nights stay
- very comfortable beds and pillows
- great tranquil gardens & pools
- beach club access is a unique feature
- turn down service in the evenings is a nice touch
- breakfast buffet is plentiful- they do a lovely eggwhite omelette and the Papaya is always fresh
- in good proximity to shopping & very close to jalan double six restaurants, a short taxi ride to cafes/restaurants/shopping in the heart of seminyak.

Cons:

- there is wifi internet however the signal is slow and drops out all the time and every 3 days you need to obtain a new login & password. Every time i needed to use the wifi I had to keep logging in with the password - this is really annoying particularly for those guests that work whilst travelling or call home via the internet. I was trying to sort out an important banking issue & my calls kept dropping out requiring me to constantly re-enter the login code & password.

- no powerpoint in the bathroom for shavers/straighteners, used powerpoints in bedroom but there is no mirror in the bedroom. - doh!

- i wanted to take a slice of bread & a yoghurt from the buffet at the end of having my breakfast so my husband, who was ill and unable to come to the buffet could have something to munch on. I was embarrassingly told by staff at the buffet that i couldn't take it. I was really upset with this. As part of the room rate we paid for breakfast for 2 persons. i was made to feel like a thief and thought this was a really silly rule. They ask you for your room number, you are entitled to breakfast as a guest - whether you decide to take some breakfast items to your room or eat with all the other guests should be your choice when you are paying $150+ per room. If i was taking a huge plate of food or several plates then i think it would've been called for, but for a piece of bread & 1 tub of yoghurt i think it should be acceptable.

- aircon in rooms are really weak
- aircon leaked constantly in the bedroom, I advised the staff several times of this issue and each time they sent maintenance staff to the room who did nothing more than mop up the water and advise us the aircon unit was fixed. My husband slipped on the leaking water and it took them 4 visits to finally provide us with a mat that we could put on the floor. This all could have been resolved in the first visit when i asked for a mat for the floor in the first place.

- bathrooms have a frosted/clear glass screen that separate the bathroom from the bedroom which, when staying with friends/family, makes it a little awkward to go to the bathroom or have a shower - anyone you are sharing the room with can't really walk into the bedroom without seeing you naked in the shower or sitting on the toilet...not such a private feature!

- there is a kitchen in the suite rooms, equip with wine glasses and even bottles of wine & beer available in the mini bar however no bottle opener.

In conclusion, its the wifi access that has made my decision to not stay here again. I travel alot and rely on a good, easy connection to work while i travel. and being told off at the buffet breakfast wasn't cool.

This is an ok hotel for a night or 2. & for the price per night there are better options in seminyak for a longer stay.

Room Tip: If you are after reliable WIFI and a kid free hotel, stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Wazky
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Hotel spotless, Staff very helpful, Breakfast amazing. Queensize bed comfortable. entertainment, music, karaoke fun. air cond in rooms could function better. Look for dark blue taxis which use the meters, Any taxis that wont turn meters on dont use. When you arrive at Denpasser Airport make sure you collect your own baggage, there are plenty of people willing to help you and then you pay them.

Room Tip: check your upgrading before you committ
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gaelian w
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed at the Haven late in 2012 for 2 nights and couldn't complain about the room or the service. Based on that experience I booked a single night stay at the Haven for my daughter and partner for April 2013 and they had a terrible experience.

On their arrival at the Haven they were informed by reception that they had been allocated an upgrade however the room wasn't yet available which, given that it was mid-morning, did not surprise them. They went to do a little shopping and returned early afternoon to be told that there was no room upgrade and that reception had no knowledge of what they had been told only a few hours earlier. My daughter did not expect an upgrade when she first arrived and would have been happy with the standard room booking but if your going to promise something then stand behind it and actually deliver.

A little annoyed at the change they went to their room and initially everything seemed OK. After around an hour they found the room temperature had only come down 2-3 degrees so they contacted reception and asked for the problem to be addressed. Reception sent an 'engineer' to their room who made some adjustments and said he would go to the 'external part' of the system. He informed them that it would take around 20 minutes for the room to cool down. After a further hour the room was no cooler so they contacted reception again to be told the engineer would come to their room, which he did and then told them he would go check the external part of the system (again). After a further 2 hours the room was no cooler and as they headed out to dinner they informed reception that the room was no cooler and requested, if it couldn't be fixed, to please reallocate them to another room. On return from dinner they checked with reception and were informed that that the problem had been fixed. When they got to the room they found it to be maybe 2 degrees cooler (around 25 degrees). At this stage tired and frustrated they gave up and tried to get what little sleep they could.

The next morning they booked out and asked about the Departure Lounge which according to the Haven advertising is an area for guests to relax and have use of facilities between hotel room checkout and going to the airport. As my daughter had a late evening flight this had been another factor in choosing the Haven for their stay. At no stage does the advertising indicate that a charge is applicable however my daughter was informed that use of these facilities come at a US$50 cost (US$25 per person). By this time completely disillusioned with the Haven facilities and service, they naturally refused to pay anymore and made arrangements elsewhere for the day.

Of our two experiences at the Haven the only common feature we both agreed was good were the breakfast facilities and selection.

Overall my view is that you may be lucky if you stay at the Haven but there are many other hotels that can be relied on to have similar or better accommodation plus a level of service that far exceeds that of the Haven staff. Even though my stay in late 2012 was completely acceptable I won't bother going there again as I have absolutely no confidence that this experience will be repeated. My recommendation is that the Haven be avoided.

5  Thank JRS155
Reviewed April 12, 2013

After staying at Rama, in Kuta, and Rumuh Bed and Breakfast in Nasa Dua for about the same price. I have to say that this place sucked.. I don't understand the other comments saying its wonderful, its simply below average for a Bali Holiday. Its a concrete jungle of noise, small rooms, hard beds, and a crappy pool surrounded by yet again concrete. Is this how you want to spend you Bali Holiday, looking from a dirty metal crate from your balcony to the noisy hotel atmosphere, or swimming in a pool surrounded by concrete views?

You are in Bali! Views, good service, large roaming resorts for the same price if not cheaper are at your disposal! This place is just sub-standard. I frequently review in Bali, and this was simply the worst place I have stayed out of about 5 visits and many, many better places of accommodation.

On arrival to my hotel I was told quite sternly that "Even though you booked 3 months prior, Agoda clearly says special requests not taken", which meant for myself and my girlfriend we had the luxury of staying in separate single beds even though we booked 3 months prior... Are you serious? I'm sure they just made up that excuse, which was even more insulting. The special request is when you ask for single beds!!! You don't request to have a double bed. "Oh, partners usually sleep in separate beds, its a request if you want to sleep together, and a luxury at Haven Seminyak"..

Anyway, fortunately for me I got Bali Belly while staying here and needless to say some of those maids would have quit on the spot after seeing my room, sheets, and toilet.. haha

Also glass windows, and a toilet one step away from your bed is really not cool. Lucky we had single beds! Thanks Haven!

Room Tip: Go to Rama, in Kuta. Place is amazingly priced. It's like a mini AYANA, but for poor people, and...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JimmyBig
TheHavenManagement, Public Relations Manager at The Haven Bali, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear JimmyBig
Greetings from The Haven Seminyak!

Thank you for staying at The Haven Seminyak. We invite the guest to experience the lifestyle trends through the minimalist and modern design and outstanding location for all business and leisure traveler.

I am so sorry for the inconvenience we have caused you due to our fully-booked situation. We hope you understand that we do not guarantee any bed type upon booking, however we do our best to accommodate our guest with their request.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

My dad and I shared a twin room for 4 nights and we were lucky enough to have a room right in front of the pool! So we could wake up in the morning and go for a swim and stroll right back into our room before heading up to the bustling restaurant for breakfast.
Breakfast was amazing to say the least with a huge selection of fruits, cereals, juices, cold meats and cheeses and also a chef cooking you hot breakfasts to order.
There is also a complimentary shuttle bus that will take you down to the beach where there are reserved lounge chairs for resort guests.
Rooms were serviced daily and very clean and also have DVD players for those lazy nights when you don't feel like heading out on the town. Be careful with the air-con as it is very strong and will cool the room down almost too cool.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the reception are quieter. Ground floor rooms by the pool are great, but hav...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KiwiDiverAbroad

Dear KiwiDiverAbroad

Greetings from The Haven Seminyak!

I am pleased to read that you had a great experience and enjoy our facilities and also our service. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We booked this place online. On arrival, we were upgraded to a suite and were very impressed with this hotel. The staff were super friendly, the room was immaculate, the breakfast was sensational - waffles, eggs, pancakes all made to order. The location is right in the middle of the shopping strip with lots of great restaurants, shopping, money exchange at a good rate. We had a great time here.

Room Tip: We were in a suite (Rm 215). Exceptional.

Dear Amanda M

I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay at The Haven Seminyak and our facilities as our guest satisfaction is our top priority.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon