“Fabulous, fun, magic holiday!”
Review of Goddess Retreats

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seminyak
Goddess Retreats
Ranked #14 of 426 Specialty Lodging in Seminyak
Reviewed August 22, 2012

What an amazing way to let your inner goddess soar. Meet beautiful people doing the same thing as you. AMAZING retreat managers who lead the way for super fun surfing, yoga and extreme relaxation/fun in the sun! Beautiful house keeping staff who look after your every whim. And there is the devine Balinese people you meet on your outings. BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL. I would do it again in a heartbeat! :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank nitaferg
hollidaygolightly, General Manager at Goddess Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your vacation with us at Surf Goddess Retreats!

For over 10 years now we have been listening to our guest's feedback, and this has helped us to grow and evolve to be recognized one of the world's most highly regarded surf & yoga retreat for women in the world!

Please be sure to check back in with us in the future as we continue to add more exciting offerings to our retreats and expand to more exotic locations around the world!

Warmest Regards,
Chelsea

Surf Goddess Retreats Founder…and 'Chief Mermaid in Charge'!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I have just returned home from Bali after 8 days at Surf Goddess Retreats and it was truly one of the best weeks of my life!! I was nervous before I left as I have never travelled alone but the second the doors to the beautiful villa opened all of my worries disappeared.

All of the retreat leaders are so wonderful and some of the most inspiring women I have ever met. Chelsea has such passion for everything she does and it shows in every detail throughout the week.

I had never surfed or done yoga before so I was worried about being able to keep up but Raine and Melinda made me feel like I could really learn at my own pace and they both spent lots of time with me answered every question. Every time I stood up on my board Melinda would cheer and clap and she was so encouraging all week, not to mention a killer surfer! The instructors at the Rip Curl School of Surf were AMAZING!! They made surfing so much fun every day and they were so cute so that was a bonus :)

All of the retreat leaders were so full of knowledge about Bali. From where to shop, eat, have sunset drinks to cultural info they always had a recommendation and an answer. Raine went way above and beyond for all of us helping us book day trips to Ubud and the Elephant Park.

The food!! Oh the FOOD!!!! Everything was SO GOOD!!!! No attention to detail was missed, from the beautiful table settings to the candles and flowers I felt like I was dining in a 5-star restaurant everyday. I would get so excited before each meal to see what we were having that day. YUM! It was one of the highlights of my week.

I would highly recommend this retreat. Every detail was perfect and well thought out. I really loved the bed cards every night. I really hope to go back next year and bring my girlfriends with me. Bali is such a magical island!

Thanks to all of the ladies in my group, I had the best week ever and created memories that will last a lifetime!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 22, 2012

An absolutely incredible experience that is difficult to put into words. This retreat was the perfect balance between finite organization from the wonderful and helpful staff, perfectly balanced with enough "free time" to explore Bali and the new friendships created along the way. I had booked this retreat as a way of pushing me out of my comfort zone and relax at the same time. I could not have been happier with my choice!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
hollidaygolightly, Owner at Goddess Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Warmest Regards,
Chelsea

Surf Goddess Retreats Founder…and 'Chief Mermaid in Charge'!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Not being a surfer or yoga person, I did a fair bit of research into "surf and yoga retreats" prior to booking for a stay at the Retreat in May and it would be very difficult to convince me their is a better retreat in Bali. I travelled with a friend and we had a wonderful time. We did in fact book the private villa, which was fabulous and their was nothing like coming back for a quiet swim following a session at surf school. However we had such a wonderful group of women staying that next time I will thinking about rooms within the main villa. Everyone was respectful, warm and very funny. Having stayed in some lovely Villas in Bali previously, I was not the least disappointed in the surrounds it was well laid out and seemed to have a quiet space for everyone. I did do some research on the area and was aware of the beach conditions. The nearest beach is not far, though after a day of surfing and yoga and considering the heat in the middle of the day, a cool pool was a perfect.
The food was fresh and fabulous and finding out what was for breakfast each day was a treat. On the days meals were left to ourselves it was just as fun visiting local restaurants for cocktails and excellant meals at prices you will never match in Australia. It was worth eating out just to check out the interiors and lighting.
Of course it was the people who made the retreat, you felt very welcome and Raine, Mel, Chelsea and all the staff ensured you were able to travel at your own pace in comfort.
Have already lined friends up again for next year.

Room Tip: Private Villa was wonderful however with such a great group of women felt a little removed.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
lightfootwanderer, General Manager at Goddess Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our retreat. We would like to thank you for coming and joining us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

For over 10 years now we have continued to evolve and grow our service and offerings thanks to all our guests' feedback. Also you can look forward to us adding new exotic locations to visit as part of your Surf Goddess experience, so be sure to check back in with us!

As a beloved Surf Goddess Alumnae we offer you extra special savings and bonuses on any return visit to either Surf Goddess or Bali Goddess Retreats, please simply email us directly via our website to find out details.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I would Highly recommend it:) Bali is magical, the people are kind. The staff becomes family and I took from it a more confidence and a feeling of being centered. I would love to bring family and friends as the pictures just can't capture the whole experience

• Stayed: May 2012
lightfootwanderer, General Manager at Goddess Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

We would like to thank you for enjoying your holiday with us at Surf Goddess Retreats! Every guest opinion is valued and we can not begin to express how grateful we are to you for taking the time to write your review. We are so glad you chose to join us as your retreat of choice in Bali.

As a beloved Surf Goddess Alumnae we offer you extra special savings and bonuses on any return visit to either Surf Goddess or Bali Goddess Retreats, please simply email us directly to find out details.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

After reading a number of reviews of similar retreats on tripadvisor.com I settled on Surf Goddess Retreat Bali. I made my decision based on the positive feedback I had read, however I was a little disappointed when I arrived to find it different and not what I had read or expected. My review is based on the following

Accommodation: In terms of location the resort is not a comfortable walk to the beach, which is fine as the Surf School pick you up and drop you back anyway. Depending on which room package you choose the rooms range from basic (but nice) to very glamorous. If you choose the highest package the only difference in your stay from others is your room itself, which you don’t spend much time in anyway. I found the rooms to be clean, however the maintenance and upkeep on the property needed to be improved, for example the paint was chipping off walls, some doors didn’t close properly and mould was in the sink of my bathroom.

Spa: The package includes 6 hours of spa treatments, which are not the same as the ones listed on the website. The treatments are onsite until 10pm each night which was fantastic. I ended up getting 2 x 1.5hrs of massage and a 1.5hr mani/pedi.

Food: The food was nice with a range of local and international dishes. I was disappointed in the fact that the website said one or two meals would not be provided, however it ended up being 3 dinners and 2 lunches we had to get ourselves. There were no snacks readily available (with the exception of fruit which was difficult to prepare).

Leaders: I was mostly disappointed about the leaders. From the other review I was under the impression a ‘resort manager/mother’ would be present a lot of the time, and while Raine, the manager (who was a genuine and lovely person) was there for some meals, it felt like a token effort. The owner Chelsea also attended two meals, however I felt that was even more of an effort for her.

Surfing/Yoga: By far the best part of the retreat was surfing. The lessons are outsourced to the Rip Curl Surf School in Legian run by a New Zeland man. They picked us up and dropped us back to the resort, provided water, sun screen, equipment and lessons. The environment was friendly and not intimidating at all. Yoga on the other hand was provided at the retreat. The yoga was too long, going for an hour and a half with little to no meditation and mostly stretches (which after a lot of surfing is not too bad).

Generally the retreat is good if you’re a middle aged solo traveller. HOWEVER It’s very expenses and once I saw what the cost of things are in Bali I realised the trip could have been done for at least $2000 cheaper.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
13  Thank Getaway_Traveller2
lightfootwanderer, General Manager at Goddess Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Getaway

Thank you for your feedback. Of course it's our preference to receive only positive feedback, but we grateful for you informing us about your perception of your experience.

While we certainly can appreciate that everybody’s experience is subjective and you are very welcome to share your personal view, I do have some concerns regarding a number of misleading statements that were made and would like to address these:

Spa: The treatments that are available to our guests on the retreat are accurately listed on the website and currently include:

Manicures
Traditional Balinese Massage
Relaxing Foot Massage
Four Hand Massage

Food:
At the time of your visit our website did not say that only one or two meals would not be provided. Our website clearly stated on our cuisine page that (quote) “Included in your retreat package, you'll enjoy two delicious and satisfying gourmet meals each day. We leave a some meal times unstructured so our guests are free to explore Bali at their leisure during their personal time…” In addition to the two meals a day and the daily fresh fruit that is always available, on three days we also put out our afternoon ‘grazing’ snack menu which is a selection of home made dips and nibbles. Since your review we have changed our meal structure to provide breakfast, lunch and dinners (except for 3 nights – as the majority of our feedback from guests say they enjoy having a few nights unstructured so they can sample different restaurants that Bali is very famous for)

Accommodation:

If you choose our highest level package (Divine) you not only have your own private room, but this is actually located in it’s own private villa with separate living and dining area, and large private pool and garden which is a completely separate area from the main villa where the other guest bedrooms are located.

It is very common for things like wood doors and drawers to stick (or not close properly) in the tropics, this is because it is so hot and humid that the wood swells from its original size, particularly when the day or season is very warm.

All our bathroom sinks and tubs are made from a local very porous stone / shell mixture called terrazzo which naturally discolors over time. The dark areas you observed was not mold, but the patina of permanent watermarks and product stains that discolor the light cream terrazzo stone over time.

Regarding the comfortability of the walk to the beach, for those considering joining us we would like to take this opportunity to make you aware that the retreat accommodation is located 750 meters from the closest access to the beach.

Leaders:

The retreat has 3 leaders who are there daily to look after our 12 - 13 guests which is a 4:1 guest to leader ratio.

It is potentially misleading to state that Raine was there only for some meals – as this infers she was not present any other times - both her and the other leaders roles have them actively present during their respective activities of surf and yoga lessons – which each one of them leads. Also they are there during our guest's personal unstructured times before or after these activities, plus during most meals, where they are there to answer any questions, help organize any requests, provide any retreat announcements for the day, prepare our guests for the upcoming activity and generally to socialize with everybody and assist in group dynamics and enjoyment. When not onsite leaders are on call 24 hrs a day to assist our guests at a moments notice. I can honestly say that of all the offerings on the retreat the sincere warmth and care of our leaders is one of the things we value the most, and usually all our guests rave about; so I was very surprised and sorry to read that you didn’t feel you experienced this.

As for myself, being the owner / director of the retreat I am the central communication and organizational point of all our 20+ retreat staff that service our intimate groups 12 – 13 guests, plus liaise with our numerous activity suppliers on the retreat. My role is to ensure that, from primarily behind the scenes, the food, accommodation and all activities progress smoothly and seamlessly with consistency and quality. Alongside this I am responsible for the day-to-day management of the overall business. This combination of my responsibilities means that it is not possible for me also assume the role of a full-time retreat leader and this is why we have 3 other leaders fulfill those roles on the retreat.

That being said, I take great pleasure in connecting with each group whenever possible, and it was inaccurate to state that I was only present for two meals, when in fact on your retreat I was present at some point for, not all, but the majority of the days and also went down with your group for a morning in the surf together.

Surfing:
We have partnered with the Rip Curl School of Surf for the last 10 years to offer an exclusive all female surf program that has been tailored especially for Surf Goddess Retreats and is not available as part of their regular public program. Our exclusive program offers our guests a higher instructor to student ratio than found in the public program which allows for more individual feedback and instruction . We also ensure our class times are at the absolute best tides for the day, so that our guests get the best conditions possible, also our program is tailored so that individuals in our group can break off and work at their own speed and level of comfort each day, rather than just following along with general lesson plan found in the public lessons. Also in the public lesson it is mandatory that all students wear a surf helmet, while our Surf Goddesses have the choice to wear a helmet or not.

Also unlike the regular public surf program, our guests surf day begins each day with Mel (our Surf Goddess Retreat Leader and surf coach) going over surf theory at the villa after breakfast. Here Mel reviews the previous lesson, she also offers one-on-one short instruction on any techniques our guests wish to work on, plus answer any questions and then goes over the days conditions and up coming lesson plan. Mel then accompanies our guests to the beach, and is there in addition to the Rip Curl instructors to be on hand to cater to any needs of our guests and make sure everyone has a fantastic time learning to surf.

Location: Regarding the comfortability of the walk to the beach, the villa is located 750 meters from the closest access to the beach. Also while the villa is located down a private lane way and is generally a quiet oasis, we are conveniently positioned right in the heart of Bali's chicest area of Seminyak / Petitengit. This means that a few minutes walk from our door is Bali's most popular shopping, dining and 'beaching' district. For those looking for a retreat located in a remote area, we would not be the right choice of trip. We are the best choice if you are looking for a balance between relaxation with the fun of being around a lively holiday energy.

Yoga:
To clarify exactly how our yoga sessions work for anyone considering joining us; the yoga lessons on the retreat generally run for 1 - 1.5 hrs. Each lesson starts with a 10 – 15 minute guided mediation, as many of our guests we are introducing to yoga and mediation, and also ends with another short meditation to close the yoga class. Our style of yoga is a blend of Iyengar, Vinyasa and Hatha and includes all the poses from classical Indian yoga asanas. Our style of yoga focuses on poses that will help our guest with building their strength and flexibility for surfing and also for helping the muscles stretch and recover from fatigue caused from surfing. Guests are asked to participate at their own level of expertise while our yoga instructor will do a range of poses from the very simple for beginners up to more complicated poses for advance students.

Thank you for this opportunity to clarify what our offerings are on the retreat. As for the cost of the retreat, you can find cheaper options or put together your own budget accommodations and get a guy on the beach to teach you to surf for a few dollars or attend public yoga lessons, but realistically it would be a very different type of experience to the one we provide at the retreat.

For anyone considering joining our retreat we are always available to answer any questions as it is our standard and pleasure to be fully transparent about what we offer so that potential guests can make an informed choice as to whether they choose to join us. Please feel free to contact via our website.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

If you are looking for a special holiday to share with like minded people in a beautiful and inspiring destination, this is definitely it. You can experience living life in perfect luxury with wonderful healthy meals eaten with good company. The accommodation is breath-taking. The yoga is great for beginners and the more advanced. The surfing is fantastic too of course. I recommend also the cookery course, the Ubud cycle ride and a visit to Uluwatu and Yoga Barn. It what exactly what I was looking for, you will not regret your decision to come here to surf goddess retreats and to Bali. AMAZING!

Room Tip: All beautiful
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seminyak
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa
12 mi away
Soulshine Bali
Soulshine Bali
#83 of 199 in Ubud

Been to Goddess Retreats? Share your experiences!