All reviewssurf schoolspa treatmentsyoga instructorunlimited spadaily yogahighly recommend this retreatbatik paintingbeautiful womenlasting friendshipssurf retreatmagical weekmani pedihot stonecooking classshort breakturn down servicemosquito net
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This holiday was a birthday gift to myself - and I couldn't be happier with my choice! Escaping winter at home for a barmy Bali - meeting wonderful new friends, overcoming a fear of waves and not only learning to surf but actually discovering a passion for it!! Every need is taken care of by Chelsea, Melinda and Raine. I loved having a schedule that I could choose to follow or not and especially loved having beautiful meals presented before me - a true holiday from my busy home life! I simply had a wonderful time - it was exactly what I was looking for in terms of fun, adventure, luxury and new friends to share it all with. I had a smile from ear to ear the whole time and will never forget this amazing experience. I definitely want to do it again!!

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong with any room but I chose a single "Serenity" room and it was perfect.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Julese555
lightfootwanderer, General Manager at Goddess Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

We would like to thank you for enjoying your holiday with us at Surf Goddess Retreats! Every guest opinion is valued and we can not begin to express how grateful we are to you for taking the time to write your review. We are so glad you chose to join us as your retreat of choice in Bali.

As a beloved Surf Goddess Alumnae we offer you extra special savings and bonuses on any return visit to either Surf Goddess or Bali Goddess Retreats, please simply email us directly to find out details.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

I want to go back to Surf Goddess now! Already planning the next one, and hoping it will be exactly the same as the last, as I can hardly imagine a better girls' holiday - great for going with a small group of friends, or solo. The retreat managers, Raine and Melinda, are some of the loveliest, most interesting and most inspirational people you will ever meet, and went out of their way to make everyone feel comfortable. They genuinely care for the guests, as well as being brilliant planners, coordinators and teachers, who have anticipated every need, ranging from providing aeroguard/ sunscreen, to advising about safety in Bali. The week is carefully planned, and despite the need to transport 12 people at different times to different places, not a single thing went wrong - there is a feeling of complete confidence in the organisational abilities, knowledge and responsibility of the retreat managers - nothing went wrong, ever. The accommodation is outstanding - highly recommend the private villa, which has its own plunge pool, if you are going with another friend - but all the accommodation was beautiful, with every detail considered and carefully managed. The surfing is great, whether you are a beginner (which I was!) or more experienced. The instructor-surf goddess ratio is excellent, and somehow the atmosphere made us feel safe and secure yet able to challenge ourselves, and the feeling of constantly improving at a new sport, whether it be surfing or yoga, is exhilirating. The "bliss day" was an amazing cultural experience (I did Eco-cycling, but there are many and varied options, to suit all wishes) - an emotional day, being given the opportunity to visit the villages, cycle around the rice fields, and have breakfast viewing a volcano. The food was beautifully prepared, healthy and delicious. The massages and beauty treatments are of very high quality, but I don't recommend getting them done outside, as you will be attacked by mosquitoes. Seminyak itself is of course a great shopping area, and the beaches are beautiful. Another cherished part of the the surf goddess retreat was the ability to form lasting friendships with amazing women. This retreat seems to attract friendly, warm, accomplished and sincere people, and the ambience created by the managers led to much bonding and laughter. I honestly can not imagine how this retreat could possibly be any better.

Room Tip: Book the private villa - it's totally worth it
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank HungryandHappy

Reviewed May 31, 2012

To be good at surfing and yoga it helps to be lean and flexible! I'm not either but had a ball!!

It doesn't matter what your shape or size this is about your attitude. The villa and set up is divine and would be a great place to just chill ...( I confess I did miss the odd class or two!!!) ....But if you have a good crack at the surfing you will laugh a lot and have so much fun. ( Be warned if you are like me there may be a few tears of frustration at your own lack of ability!!!!)

The bonus is you will be hanging out with an interesting bunch of women who you will get to know across the week and you are in a place that is a wonderful mixture of crazy and calm.

Promise you WON'T be thinking about work!

Room Tip: If you are with a friend take the package with your own 2 roomed villa! Great if you like your own space and a few moments of total peace and calm.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank wannabegoddess

Reviewed April 17, 2012

where to begin? a friend and i read about this spot on a flight home from new zealand and thought "yes, we must do this some day." after a long trip from the US, we arrived, were met promptly at the airport, dropped at lovely villa serena and began what was one of the most entertaining--and exhausting--weeks of my life!

accommodations: they are as described on the site and kept clean throughout the week by the wonderful girls who work there. my friend and i were greeted with a surf bag each and a sarong we wore all over the island! the rooms do have AC which was sweet relief during the hot evenings. they do get a really nice natural breeze, too, but i'm always hot! bathrooms were clean and had everything we needed, including towels, hair dryers (tho never used) and bottled water.

grounds: lovely, well-manicured, always looking beautiful. there are a number of tucked away seating areas as well as open spaces, so it's super conducive to socializing or getting away for private moments.

eating area/food: it seemed no detail was left unattended too...at every meal, there was a beautiful table setting-- not over-the-top but perfect for each occasion. the ladies made accommodations for all dietary needs and gave us more of something if we needed it! be brave with the food-- it's healthy and delicious. if some spices are unknown, give them a try anyway. there were a lot of great meat and veggie combinations. breakfast was one of my favorite meals, with all the fresh fruits, coffee, oatmeal infused with apple juice and topped with fruit, eggs made on request, pancakes, juevos rancheros-like dish... i could go on and on obviously!

surfing/yoga: i was happy to try surfing, but didn't take to it like some of the others. that said, the instructors are AWESOME. melinda is so patient and helpful and the guys from rip curl really worked hard to help us in the water. my suggestion: if you don't get it or don't like it, as more questions. and if you want to quit, there's plenty of other things to do in the area!! after 4 days, i decided surfing wasn't for me, sat myself in a cafe writing half the day and shopped the rest of it. all the staff was really encouraging about making sure we did what we wanted to do to make our holiday amazing.

raine is an incredible yoga instructor and really helpful giving tips around the area and just making sure everything was working and running smoothly. she'll greet u with a smile every day and you'll be hard pressed to find her NOT smiling.

spa: treatments are much needed after all that work! try the four-hand massage :)

my favorite part of the trip: hanging with so many amazing woman. i really don't think i cld have had more fun with them! and the surroundings just enhance the moments.

places to go while there: have raine book a driver and go down to padang padang beach, on the south end of the island and near uluwertu. secluded and beautiful-- a nice break from seminyak. he can drive you around to the temple then, and grab sunset dinner along jimbaron bay. awesome seafood grill.

sunset cocktails at ku de ta in seminyak is a must, as is a dinner at la lucciola! i did some work at biku, a cool cafe-antique store-book shop, and loved that day.

Room Tip: note that most rooms don't get great wireless access, but i was always able to get it from my balcony on the second floor overlooking the pool. note that access was pretty consistent in the common eating area.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank jool12

Reviewed December 29, 2011

I attended Surf Goddess retreats in late November 2011. Ladies, if you want to learn how to surf in a supportive, beautiful, luxurious environment, this is the place! The staff is fantastic, from the surf instructors to massage therapists to yoga instructors to chefs. Truly amazing. Villas are gorgeous - I chose the highest level room and could not have been happier with my private bathroom and soaking pool. The women who attended the week I was there were fantastic - I have made some wonderful new friends. The retreat included 8 hours of spa time, which was split between Prana Spa and treatments at the Surf Goddess villas. Um, where do you ever get 8 hours of spa, along with daily surf and yoga? And, the food was great, they catered to everyone's dietary preferences and prepared beautiful, healthy, delicious meals throughout the week.

Room Tip: Splurge and get the private villa room with swimming pool.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank mangojenny
lightfootwanderer, General Manager at Goddess Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Dear Jennifer,