All reviewssurf schoolspa treatmentsyoga instructorunlimited spadaily yogahighly recommend this retreatbatik paintingbeautiful womenlasting friendshipssurf retreatmagical weekmani pedihot stonecooking classshort breakturn down servicemosquito net
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Surf Goddess Retreat has it all.Wonderful accomodation,unbelievable food,individualised surf lessons within a supportive group environment,yoga, Prana Spa visit, 5hours massage and choice of activity on the "free day" are all included in this well priced luxury holiday.From the well organised pick up from the airport until your delivery back to the airport every detail is anticipated with the proviso that you could actually just chill out if you so desire.Learn to surf,improve your surfing or just chill it couldn't be better!.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank penny b
lightfootwanderer, General Manager at Goddess Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

We would like to thank you for enjoying your holiday with us at Surf Goddess Retreats! Every guest opinion is valued and we can not begin to express how grateful we are to you for taking the time to write your review. We are so glad you chose to join us as your retreat of choice in Bali.

As a beloved Surf Goddess Alumnae we offer you extra special savings and bonuses on any return visit to either Surf Goddess or Bali Goddess Retreats, please simply email us directly to find out details.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

8 days. A beautiful villa with all you can possibly need for a great stay (the website photos do not do it justice!). Rooms and meals thoughtfully prepared and presented (such attention to detail!). Days of glorious surf at the beginner-friendly Legian beach (for me, only possible with the wonderful instruction and ongoing encouragement!). And yoga that alternates between invigorating and calming, depending on your energy level that day. Spa treatments and massages to keep you relaxed (as if you need any more help!) and in good form. Shopping and good food practically at your doorstep. A well-chosen excursion to Ubud to jazz things up and broaden your Balinese experience. Fantastic ladies from all around the world, all so positive and all so inspiring in their own way.

And if this is not a guaranteed recipe for a hell of a trip, I don't know what is.

I gained from this trip so much more than what I had gone in expecting and I emerge deeply enriched from the experience. It appears that paradigm-shifting epiphanies are possible on a pampering week at a deliciously luxurious retreat too!

Having experienced it myself, I have no doubt as to why Surf Goddess Retreats is rated so highly by all the reviewers (on TA and FB) and that all future surf goddesses will continue to post similarly glowing reviews.

Go for it - you won't regret it!

And give a hug to Chelsea, Jade, Melinda and Susan for me when you're there!

Room Tip: If you want internet access in your room, don't go for Harmony for the network coverage doesn't extend to those rooms!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank min c
lightfootwanderer, General Manager at Goddess Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Reviewed May 4, 2011

Surf Goddess was the second yoga retreat I participated in during 3 weeks in Bali, and it was decidedly more fun and less spiritually taxing than the first. From the beautifully decorated villa to gourmet meals to fantastic surf instruction and relaxing evening yoga, there's absolutely nothing Surf Goddess could do better. I only wish I'd booked the full-length retreat instead of the short 4-day break. It just wasn't enough time to get to know the other gals, to surf as much as I wanted and to eat enough of Joyce's awesome food. Would be perfect for a destination bachelorette, a girls' getaway or just a solo escape from stress back home. Chelsea, Jade, Melinda and Joyce have created a true haven for gals that somehow manages to be relaxing and adventurous. Kudos to them!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank BAA1113

Reviewed April 16, 2011

Bali? Check. Surfing? Check. Private villa & plunge pool? Check & check. Surf Goddess ticked all the boxes for me. I grabbed the first opening I could - not easy given the small group sizes - and booked myself in. The Surf Goddess base of operations is a gorgeous villa at the end of a little lane in Semanyak - a bustling town full of some pretty great shopping. There were 12 of us in the group - women in their early 20s to about my age - late 40s. Each guest had their own room (or villa) or shared with another guest. I had my own room, but would definitely recommend sharing as bonding is an excellent byproduct of the whole experience. These are really great and interesting women. Just like you!

The moment you walk into the villa, you get the vibe of the place. If you have a thing for white on white, simple clean lines, natural wood furniture and great taste - this is your place. Chelsea Huntley's, Surf Goddess' chief Goddess, has a gift for design and a high aesthetic can be seen everywhere. The rooms are cool and airy, with great details. 3-foot tall antique vinegar bottles, vintage surfing pictures and very cool art are scattered around the whole villa. You immediately get that you have just walked into what will essentially be, your own very fabulous villa for the next 8 days. The attention to detail is carried out in every aspect of Surf Goddess.

Surfing lessons are conducted through Rip Curl surf school, under the direction of Melinda, the Surf Goddess Surf Instructor, who is that amazing combination of gorgeous, fun and who is genuinely nice and supportive. She's also a hell of a surfer, all 100 pounds of her. The surfing part of the day is only about an hour - maybe hour and a half of actual surfing. That seemed to be enough for everyone - and if you wanted - you could blow off whatever else you had planned that day and hang out at the beach with a board. But no one from our group did that, preferring to sightsee or shop and get to know each other – bonding being one of the highlights of the Surf Goddess experience. Some people, though, may want more surf time.

In addition, most of the group members (about 8 out of the 12) were beginners. I suspect this is typical of the Surf Goddess guests. The good news is that the conditions and coaching staff make learning to surf - indeed, getting up the first day - a walk in the park. But if you are a seasoned surfer who is looking to be challenged and really get the most out of the surfing experience, you may want to think about this dynamic. Definitely cover that with Chelsea or her staff before you go. They may be able to work up a surf itinerary based on your ability that is fun and challenging.

Days are spent alternating between surfing - in the AM or PM depending on tides and yoga, which is generally first thing in the AM. Susan, the yoga instructor, clearly knows her stuff, but also gets how best to bring it to a crowd that is not necessarily yoga centric. The classes are fine for every level, and the meditations and chanting at the end were really a highlight for me.

Everyone in previous reviews has raved about the food. I concur. Inventive, fresh, beautifully presented and seemingly effortlessly prepared under the direction of Joyce, the go-to house mom. I have a soft spot for color, composition and design. When I see beautifully set tables (and soo creative) and food plated like something out of a Michelin-starred restaurant, it just completes the experience. Breakfasts always feature fresh fruit, amazing local breads and pastries, and a warm dish – eggs – pancakes. When you have the pancakes stuffed with bananas and coconut syrup (I think), you will be fast tracked straight to heaven. We're talking seriously good. Most meals are taken at the villa tout ensemble - with the group. One thing I would add, however, is that for alchofrolics like myself who like a nice glass of wine pre and during dinner - you'll need to BYO. There are a couple of nice wine shops, along with a very high-end grocery store nearby, where you can pick up a bottle, but be warned that wine is not cheap. A bottle of Chilean wine that we use for table wine and costs about $6.99 here is $30 there. On the other hand, Bintang beer is cheap and plentiful. Just use a glass when you're at Joyce's table.

I must say, our group was pretty knackered at the end of most days, so weren't hitting the clubs with abandon, but certainly, that option is available. Evidently this is quite the party town – practically everywhere you turn, you see young Aussies (and not so young, for that matter) running around in their wife-beater tanks and their high platform shoes looking to get their groove on. There were a couple of dinners on our own to explore the local restaurant scene, and we definitely enjoyed them. I imagine everyone does Ku de Ta for sunset cocktails. Yes, it was nice – not much different from a sunset-watching venue practically anywhere else in the world – but I personally found it a bit uncomfortable trying to gaze past the poor Balinese women, doing whatever they can to grab your attention, sell you something and bring home a buck or two to their families. Another restaurant choice – conveniently located down the street from the villa, is Ultimo. Because sometimes you just need to have a good pizza.

We had one day free – Bliss Day – with activities that we could choose. Everyone seemed to really enjoy the biking trip in Ubud, which included a vist to a typical Balinese home. And each day included some version of massages, which were fabulous – the absolute best being at Jari Minari, where the masseuses are men, and the massages are magic.

Lastly – shopping in Semanyak is seriously, seriously good. Essentially, one main drag of shops spills into another main drag of shops. Paul Ropp is excellent for funky Boho clothes for men and women. If you like color and great details, this is your place. I found a great big leather tote bag at Vivacqua, where they have really great beach bags. Great surf shops and art galleries, along with small local shops to buy rugs, textiles and other handcrafts.

Needless to say, the week at Surf Goddess screams past. After 8 days, you’re really only just getting into the rhythm of things. I had to jump on a plane to come home when it was over, but most of the group stayed on in Bali, which I highly recommend. Whatever you decide to do, you will have a fabulous time at Surf Goddess and you’ll go home tan, fit and relaxed. But the best part is when you get home, you’ll be able to tell everyone (and absolutely anyone) that you’ve just spent the last week surfing in Bali. To be able to casually rattle off that little gem is worth the price of admission alone.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to share a room!
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
10  Thank Battered Orange S

Reviewed April 9, 2011

I had been chomping at the bit to come here so when the time and opportunity arose, I booked immediately. After a 30 hours journey from NYC, arriving through the little door at the end of the alley was like entering heaven. From the moment I arrived when Joyce the *house mom* hugged me to the last tearful goodbye with my roommate, I had a blast. Amazing food, shopping, spa services, rooms. Bali is a very special place and Chelsea, Jade and the whole gang, just make the island visit that much better!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo