“What a joke!”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Bali, Indonesia
“What a joke!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Highly NOT RECOMMENDED! Would not even go there ever again and will not tell my friends about it. Read for more information.

I was looking around for places to eat around the Petitenget/Oberoi area. I came across this restaurant "The Living Room" and the name itself struck me so I thought I'd go by and have a visit!

I decided to visit them on the 17th with a bunch of my friends, now I knew I should have made a reservation, but what shocked me even more was that the place was dead empty! The hostess reminded me of a cheap girl you would pick up on the side of the street. I didn't like the 'vibe' that she was giving me, even though the amount of politeness and courtesy was given.

I looked around the restaurant and I didn't feel too welcome. It was very eerie and I felt like it was some graveyard - not because of the emptiness, but the atmosphere I was given back... creepy.

We all chose the outdoor seating near the fountain which was close to the kitchen. The waitresses were nice and the complementary dish sent out was three ciabatta breads and a wakame bread. I asked if the bread were freshly baked today because it was stale and tasted quite horrid. The waitress said yes, though I just couldn't believe it.

We ordered one Beef Carpacio for the three of us and the plate given was smudged with fingers - disgusting! The dish was too salty as well.

Our main course came by, one had risotto, another had salmon and I felt like having the good old steak. The vegetables that came with all of our dishes, some were under-cooked and some were overcooked. Seasoning was bland and there really wasn't enough sauce on our plates.

We planned to order the chocolate mousse however it was unavailable. I asked why to the waitress and she stated that none of the chef's in the kitchen can make a ganache, so the mousse melts! What a joke. We pay a lot for this food and they can't accomplish such things. We wonder whether we're really being ripped of by the food quality and the price.

In the end, we decided to order a creme brulee and cheese cake. The desserts were alright though we thought that the prices were not worth for the quality.

This place is a huge joke and should not even be called a fine dining restaurant. Don't come near, it's horrible and unprofessional! Even the manager didn't want to take upon the commentaries and had to call the owner's son.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank hestia23

Woodend VIC
“Expensive, lazy inattentive waitresses, bland dinner”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

What a disappointment! I heard so much about this place, nice setting (apart from the cars driving past) the meal for two cost $80!!!! With 1 glass of wine. Seriously guys, have a look at how well ultimate restaurant is doing and learn from the best.
Waiting for tables to be cleared felt like a cheap economy airline with plates sitting the empty. The menus look tired and outdated, the seating is a bit 80s and compared to
A lucciola who had 14 staff to wait on tables 2 staff on a saturday night is just not good enough.
The waitress asked me how my meal was, I said it was less than average, she smiled and made no adjustment to the extortionate bill, nor did she apologize or even offer a random desert or something. Also, by the way, who offers nuts and bread with pure pesto as an appetizer per meal???? What's going on???? My last evening in Bali and sadly the worst experience ,go to ultimo if y want great Italian and service, go to la lucciola for great breakky and I sanely good service, go to Chandis for Indonesian...give this place a wide birth unless you want to waste money on average food with lazy service!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank CassiusWoodend
Bali, Indonesia
“Old school in the cosmopolitant areas”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We went there for some dessert and mocktails after having had some diner in the neighborhood cafe just to experience the well-known place. It was not busy but the waitress directed us to a table where she likes instead of following our preference. At this stage, we ended up on a table side by side with two romance couples, which is inconvenient for us and, of course, for themselves.

The dessert our colleague ordered was great and we love the mocktails for both the taste and presentation. Thanks to the waitress who served us some peanuts while we're waiting for the drink to arrive on our table. The sequence is acceptable and quite efficient.

Unfortunately, the cost of a mocktail at IDR 55,000 excluding tax & vat was just too much for a casual dining accompanied by the sound of the hectic Petitenget main road.

• Visited September 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Very expensive and lacklustre”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The garden eating area at the Living Room is pretty decorated with enticing fairy lights - although as we were leaving and went inside the restaurant, we would have preferred to have been ushered indoors as the room was stunning, although both lacked atmosphere. Our food was good enough, but unmemorable and so pricey we would not visit again.

• Visited August 2012
Orange, Australia
“Good food”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The living room is a lovely restaurant in the tradional style, indoor outdoor eating. Great atmosphere and lovely inside. Food is european/french style with some indonesian inluences. Our meals were very good and reasonably priced, gets more expensive if wine ordered. The night we went was very quiet and staff were very attentive.

• Visited July 2012