“Food GREAT...Service Needs Work”

Colonial Diner Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 59 Restaurants in Woodbury
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Our breakfast was delicious, and there was so much we had enough for lunch as well.

The service? Not so hot. We went fairly early, around 7AM. We were seated almost immediately as there weren't many folks there. Surprisingly the hostess didn't ask us if we wanted coffee. The coffee only came after the waitress came to take our orders, and that was only after she had served two other tables, and there wasn't a personality to detect at all. Ok, maybe they were short handed today.

One of the really cool things we noticed as soon as we walked in were the individual jukeboxes at each station; when was the last time you saw THAT? After our food arrived, I dropped in 2 quarters and made my 3 selections...then, nothing. Hmmmm. So we had our delicious breakfast without music.

When we were done, the waitress (who had not shown up at all after serving our meals, meaning we never got offered any coffee refills), came to ask if we needed anything else. When we asked for boxes, I said "So the jukeboxes don't work?" She said "No"....and then just walked away; no smile, no asking if we wanted more coffee and didn't bother to ask if I had wasted any money on it.

Again, as we paid on the way out, I asked the hostess/cashier, "Do ANY of the jukeboxes work?" She said "Not really. Some do, some don't, I wish they'd just take them out, personally." In a very tired tone. Again, no asking if I had lost any money in the box.

I know $0.50 isn't worth being nasty over, but seriously? Unless you're a regular and you KNOW they don't work, I wonder how much change they collect in a week?

Shame, the food was very good, but we won't be back.

Chris K, Owner at Colonial Diner Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2014

Hello,
My name is Chris and I am the new General Manager and Co-Owner of The Colonial Diner. I have just started using Trip Advisor and I wanted to follow up with all the reviews our customers have written over the years. Thank you for sharing your experience and I will take your comments into consideration as we work to improve the diner for our customers. I hope you will stop in again to dine with us in the future so we can provide you with improved service.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Surprised by the balsamic vinegar salad -- a mound of delicious spicy sausage etc. Tasty and very plentiful. Friendly service. Stop here when in the area.

Hello,
My name is Chris and I am the new General Manager and Co-Owner of The Colonial Diner. I have just started using Trip Advisor and I wanted to follow up with all the reviews our customers have written over the years. Thank you for taking the time to share your review and I'm glad you enjoyed your salad. I hope you will stop in to dine with us in the future if you visit the area again.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Its a shame what happened to Woodbury. The town is over 300 years old, and for most of that time Broad Street in Woodbury was the main business district of then-rural Gloucester County. But about 30 years ago along came nearby Deptford Mall, sucking the life out of Woodbury's retail stores. Yes, its still the county seat, but even the courts moved out. The old courthouse on Broad Street (which, with its clock tower, looks like something out of “Back To The Future”) was first made obsolete by the new family court building across the street, and now family court has been again moved to the new main courthouse on Hunter Street. Now Broad Street is mostly a collection of fried chicken places, second-hand shops, and the kinds of stores you usually find in the inner-city.

So where can you now go for a quick breakfast business meeting in Woodbury? Well, the Colonial Diner is still there, tucked in between a railroad track and Broad Street, about a mile north of the old courthouse. And that’s where I met an associate for breakfast last Friday.

On the plus side, Colonial is a 24 hour diner, which is somewhat of a rarity at this end of the state. But I can't think of anything else outstanding about the Colonial.

Colonial's entrance is on the opposite side of the building from the parking lot. Once inside, you find yourself in a familiar diner setting, with a counter and booths. But why is it always my luck to be seated in the very ordinary-looking room down the corridor almost all the way back to the parking lot? And then, to get to the restrooms, you have to walk all the way back, through the diner, to the opposite end.

We ate light this day. Just a bagel and coffee for me. The food is not bad, the coffee is good, and the waitresses keep your cup full, but this place is just so ordinary!

Hello,
My name is Chris and I am the new General Manager and Co-Owner of The Colonial Diner. I have just started using Trip Advisor and I wanted to follow up with all the reviews our customers have written over the years. Thank you for sharing your review and I will take your comments into consideration as we work to improve the diner for our customers. Do you have any suggestions that would help us stand out as an excellent diner in the future?

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Tremendous variety, HUGE portions, outrageous desserts and attentive serving staff - and they still offer those yummy little jelly-filled mints at the register. Great Diner!

Hello,
My name is Chris and I am the new General Manager and Co-Owner of The Colonial Diner. I have just started using Trip Advisor and I wanted to follow up with all the reviews our customers have written over the years. Thanks for writing your review and I'm glad that you love our desserts and the variety on our menu. I hope you will stop in again to dine with us again soon!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

If you go away hungry from this place, you may need to see you doctor about your tapeworm.
This is a true NJ Diner in every sense of the word. They have an extensive menu that should accomodate almost any taste. The food is nothing spectacular...just good and filling. We eat here a number of times a week. Breakfast is outstanding. The daily breakfast specials are really reasonable ($3.50 - $4.00) but there are a lot more items than the specials. They have daily dinner specials, including a good sized chicken pot pie for $7.50. Usually, what ever my wife orders will become 2 or 3 meals for her. That's how large some of the portions are.
The wait staff is great and, if you are a semi-regular (especially for breakfast) you'll find your waitress bringing your coffee / tea and juice preference before you even have your coat off. They treat you like family and even have a wall of pictures of their regular customers.
This place has been here since before 1966 and you don't survive that long if you don't do it right.
If you want gourmet....this isn't the place. But if you want good food with a great variety and outstanding value...this is the place

Hello,
My name is Chris and I am the new General Manager and Co-Owner of The Colonial Diner. I have just started using Trip Advisor and I wanted to follow up with all the reviews our customers have written over the years. Thank you for sharing your review and for being a loyal customer. I am glad to hear that you enjoy the friendly service and find our prices affordable. I look forward to meeting you the next time you and your wife stop in for breakfast.