“Wonderful Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Marlene - Mangia Bene - CLOSED

Marlene - Mangia Bene
Cuisines: Italian, American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Cooper and Centre Streets
Description: Marlene Mangia Bene is a modern Italian restaurant in downtown Woodbury that is owned and operated by husband and wife, Christopher & Maria Fasulo, and longtime friend, Frank Filipek, Jr. The restaurant is a collaboration of their taste, style, creativity and love for family, friends and food. While the restaurant's decor and menu celebrate family traditions, the name is a tribute to Maria's mom, Marlene. Marlene passed away from brain cancer three years ago but many of her "mangia bene" (good eats) will live on in the menu offerings.
South Jersey
“Wonderful Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

Went to Marlene's on a recent Saturday night. I made reservations 2 hours before with no problem. The restaurant is small but the tables are not too close together. The service was top notch. The bread was crisp and fresh and the calamari was battered perfectly and fried. My husband had the tilipia special which he was very happy with. I ordered the veal cutlet with provolone, roasted peppers and sauteed spinach. It was to die for!! The owner came over several times during the night to make sure we had everything we needed. The empty plates were promptly taken away--sometimes by another waiter who was walking by! They all worked together which is something I don't normally see. For dessert we split the cheesecake--again very good. We were given the peaches and cream cello on the house--creamy smooth and delicious! We will definitely go again.

• Visited May 2014

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Lovely atmosphere, but overpriced, unmemorable food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

In a nutshell: aesthetically pleasing, excellent service, but extremely overpriced, and none of the food stood out to us. Bread not fresh. We walked out feeling like we overpaid.

We also like to support local busineses, and were so thrilled that an upscale restaurant opened in a somewhat run-down area of Woodbury. We're excited about what Woodbury can be in the future, and Marlene Mangia Bene is a step in the right direction.

Positive: The decor is lovely--dark floors and classy lighting. The restaurant was sufficiently staffed, and service very friendly and professional. Great presentation of the appetizers and desserts. The after dinner drink was appreciated as well.

Negative: the high ala carte prices for everything! If you wanted a salad with your meal, It's $8 extra! I have rarely been to a restaurant that charges around $20 and up for pasta, but doesn't offer a side salad with the meal, or at least for a few dollars extra. Here, a salad and pasta dish will cost you anywhere from $25 to $30 combined.

Our bread was not warm, and the crust, I could barely eat because I couldn't chew it. I actually strained my jaw trying. I could not imagine the bread being fresh. It tasted like it had been frozen or refrigerated for a while beforehand. The accompaniment, a type of hummus, was OK, but I actually tasted their refrigerator more than I tasted the hummus. The whole bread basket just didn't seem fresh to us.

The quality of the fresh pasta was great. Very enjoyable, but I didn't walk out raving about it. Portion was appropriate.

Bread pudding was another $8. It was good, but not $8 good.

We were about to order tiramisu, but our server said "Oh, actualIy, we may not have any left." It was 5:30 by this point (a half hour after they had opened), so it was obvious that the tiramisu, like the bread and hummus, was not made fresh the same day.

One appetizer, two pastas, NO SALAD, and one dessert=$76.

They charge Collingswood/Cherry Hill prices, (a little more, actually) but just didn't deliver the same quality we are used to.

I will always compare any Italian restaurant to my favorite restaurant in Collingswood, which is also upscale, but offers much more for the price and freshness of the food. I still haven't found a restaurant that can beat it. We are happy that Marlene Mangia Bene opened where it did, and we hope they continue improving their establishment and ultimately contribute to making this part of Woodbury better.

1 Thank Inblueseas77
Woodbury, New Jersey, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always a great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Marlene Mangia Bene is still my favorite restaurant!
Frank is an excellent host and the cuisine never disappoints.
I have taken many couples there and they were always very
pleased and all said they would definitely return. Buon Appetito!

Wenonah, New Jersey
“Agreed...changes not so good”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I agree with the above reviewer that stated that the changes made to the menu are not for the good. It is very limited and I find it ironic that the picture posted of the appetizer of three meatballs is no longer offered at the restaurant. I also had the chicken and eggplant parm....told waitress I wouldn't eat the eggplant so not to even bother wasting it by bringing it out. I was told that I could have all chicken parm and it came out with the eggplant anyway....so that was good food that went to waste as as I pushed it right off my plate. Contrary to the previous review, I found my chicken parm to be acidic and somewhat spicy...not what I expected. My other disappointment with the chicken parm was that I was unable to get mozzarella cheese (instead of provolone) as requested because they were "too busy and didn't have any fresh mozzarella cheese cut." Really? And you're an Italian restaurant? Next disappointment came in the form of being served hummus with the bread (which was extremely hard and crusty...almost not edible) and not oil. Again...Italian restaurant serving hummus and not oil with the bread. Odd.

We loved previous visits to this restaurant , but unless something changes (this time for the good), we will not be back.

• Visited January 2014
ffilipek, Owner at Marlene - Mangia Bene, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and giving me the heads up on the older pictures on this website. I updated them. The complimentary accompaniment with our crusty Italian bread changes nightly. Our menu also changes seasonally. Hope to see you in again soon.

Happy New Year!

Best regards,
Frank
Pitman, New Jersey
“Changes.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

We have been to this restaurant several times since they opened and always had a good meal. Not tonight! The service was extremely slow probably because there were several large parties. We waited forever for bread which we were told would be hot and it was not even warm. We had to flag someone down to refill our water glasses. We finally ordered then waited and waited again.
The menu is limited and not at all like the menu we remembered. I loved their ravioli and the sunday salad. Neither were on the new menu. Not many choices. We ordered the stuffed mushroom special which we were told was filled with lump crabmeat. There was not a lump to be found, only shredded crab and breadcrumbs and at $13 we were very disappointed. My husband ordered a pasta and short rib dish which was very bland. I order the chicken and eggplant parm. My meal was terrible. The eggplant would have been edible but the sauce was too sweet and the chicken had a terrible taste to it.
After waiting once again to have our plates removed we agreed to wrap our meals....we weren't sure why, just being polite, I guess. On the way to the car they went into the trash. What an overall disappointment and turnaround in this restaurant. I hope they get this figured out. We will not go back again. Too expensive to just end up in the trash and go home hungry.

• Visited January 2014
I'm sorry you weren't happy with your meal. I wish you would have said something to someone while you were dining. We would have been happy to have you try something else. Our menu changes seasonally. Our winter menu will be out in a couple of weeks. Hope to see you in again soon.

Happy New Year!