“Always a great experience!”
Review of Marlene - Mangia Bene - CLOSED

Marlene - Mangia Bene
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Cooper and Centre Streets
Description: Marlene Mangia Bene is a modern Italian restaurant in downtown Woodbury that is owned and operated by husband and wife, Christopher & Maria Fasulo, and longtime friend, Frank Filipek, Jr. The restaurant is a collaboration of their taste, style, creativity and love for family, friends and food. While the restaurant's decor and menu celebrate family traditions, the name is a tribute to Maria's mom, Marlene. Marlene passed away from brain cancer three years ago but many of her "mangia bene" (good eats) will live on in the menu offerings.
Woodbury, New Jersey, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always a great experience!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Marlene Mangia Bene is still my favorite restaurant!
Frank is an excellent host and the cuisine never disappoints.
I have taken many couples there and they were always very
pleased and all said they would definitely return. Buon Appetito!

Wenonah, New Jersey
“Agreed...changes not so good”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I agree with the above reviewer that stated that the changes made to the menu are not for the good. It is very limited and I find it ironic that the picture posted of the appetizer of three meatballs is no longer offered at the restaurant. I also had the chicken and eggplant parm....told waitress I wouldn't eat the eggplant so not to even bother wasting it by bringing it out. I was told that I could have all chicken parm and it came out with the eggplant anyway....so that was good food that went to waste as as I pushed it right off my plate. Contrary to the previous review, I found my chicken parm to be acidic and somewhat spicy...not what I expected. My other disappointment with the chicken parm was that I was unable to get mozzarella cheese (instead of provolone) as requested because they were "too busy and didn't have any fresh mozzarella cheese cut." Really? And you're an Italian restaurant? Next disappointment came in the form of being served hummus with the bread (which was extremely hard and crusty...almost not edible) and not oil. Again...Italian restaurant serving hummus and not oil with the bread. Odd.

We loved previous visits to this restaurant , but unless something changes (this time for the good), we will not be back.

• Visited January 2014
ffilipek, Owner at Marlene - Mangia Bene, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and giving me the heads up on the older pictures on this website. I updated them. The complimentary accompaniment with our crusty Italian bread changes nightly. Our menu also changes seasonally. Hope to see you in again soon.

Happy New Year!

Best regards,
Frank
Pitman, New Jersey
“Changes.....”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We have been to this restaurant several times since they opened and always had a good meal. Not tonight! The service was extremely slow probably because there were several large parties. We waited forever for bread which we were told would be hot and it was not even warm. We had to flag someone down to refill our water glasses. We finally ordered then waited and waited again.
The menu is limited and not at all like the menu we remembered. I loved their ravioli and the sunday salad. Neither were on the new menu. Not many choices. We ordered the stuffed mushroom special which we were told was filled with lump crabmeat. There was not a lump to be found, only shredded crab and breadcrumbs and at $13 we were very disappointed. My husband ordered a pasta and short rib dish which was very bland. I order the chicken and eggplant parm. My meal was terrible. The eggplant would have been edible but the sauce was too sweet and the chicken had a terrible taste to it.
After waiting once again to have our plates removed we agreed to wrap our meals....we weren't sure why, just being polite, I guess. On the way to the car they went into the trash. What an overall disappointment and turnaround in this restaurant. I hope they get this figured out. We will not go back again. Too expensive to just end up in the trash and go home hungry.

• Visited January 2014
I'm sorry you weren't happy with your meal. I wish you would have said something to someone while you were dining. We would have been happy to have you try something else. Our menu changes seasonally. Our winter menu will be out in a couple of weeks. Hope to see you in again soon.

Happy New Year!
Best regards,
Frank
Montana
“Great first visit at Marlene's”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We went for the first time at Marlene's, in the center of Woodbury, NJ. The restaurant was full but the service and the quality of the meals did not suffer from it. The noise level was satisfactory and food was very well prepared and presented. You will love it.

• Visited October 2013
New Jersey
“Wonderful meal and nice atmosphere Mangia!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My first visit to this little byob on Broad Street did not disappoint. Meal was creative and well presented.
Ordered a meal that did not come with pasta but I was able to substitute and got a very nice helping of homemade linguine just as I like it. This added a bit to my positive feeling about the place. Also nice staff and others working at the place. Filled up on a Saturday evening so it probably would be best to make a reservation.