“Good atmosphere, mediocre food”

Woodbury Station Cafe
Ranked #2 of 59 Restaurants in Woodbury
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Looking at the good side first, the atmosphere and decor of this restaurant is fun. It's an old train station and they've embraced their history not only in the name of the place but with the decor as well. The theme of the restaurant combines train memorabilia with a New Orleans theme. Personally, I immediately noticed the Community Coffee sign on the wall, one of my favorite coffee companies. The train theme is cool because who doesn't like trains. One of the waiters was making sure the little boy at the table by the window was seated facing the right way to see the train when it passed by on the still active tracks.

The food, however, wasn't so great. We tried the bengiets and they weren't bad. You don't see them much around here so i dobt have much experiencw for conparison. However, our meal was disappointing. I ordered an omelet and it was quite overcooked. It was dry and mostly brown on the outside. The "railroad potatoes" were unfortunately also overcooked and bland.

While I wanted to like this place because of the cool concept, I don't think I'll be back.

3  Thank megatti

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I got a Groupon voucher because Woodbury Station Cafe's menu looked interesting. I took the daughter for a Friday night dinner. The cafe has visual charm in an actual train station architecture accented with stain glass panels.

The first problem was where we were seated. We were placed at a two person table in the middle of the traffic from the outside dining area to the rest of the cafe. We got a lot of eye level views of many of butts. Especially a woman who appeared to be the manager, who glided by every 5 minutes. This, of course, was interesting since the place was only half filled. I had suggested to my daughter we move outside but she was happy so we stayed. Perhaps for the better. The establishment had a gentleman playing on a electronic keyboard out there all night. Kind of like your uncle Walter playing at a party, not bad but after a hour I kind of hoped he would take a bathroom break.

Since we had a Groupon deal we were told we only could get only certain items on the menu (I have been finding a few restaurants adding limits to their Groupon deals which not listed on the voucher). Since we are vegetarians the only dish offered was one pasta dish . This even though they offer breakfast all day, which would have been a better selection.

The salad was small and less in quality than you would have if you made at home. My daughter got the core from a head of lettuce in her's. The bread was from a bakery, but not at the cafe's. It was not even warmed over. Just a rather plain, firm crust bread sliced.

The pasta was plenty full and better than what you would make for yourself (though not by too much), but it is hard to engage in tasting each other's food when both of you are stuck with the same dish.

After we were done we asked for the extras to be wrapped up. Even this was interesting since it put in a container by the waitress in front of me using my dirty knife I used on the bread. The container was not the greatest quality so I had to ask the cashier for a bag, which he needed to play seek and find (this was the same gentleman who seated us in the middle of traffic no less).

If my math was correct, WITH MY GROUPON I BELIEVE I PAID A DOLLAR MORE for the dinner than if I just paid out of my wallet. So much for a deal. Buy a voucher, get no selection and pay extra to boot.

I left a standard tip and will not be coming back.

2  Thank Jim H
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stopped by here on a whim. We bought a deal on groupon.com because we thought how bad could It be? $20 for dinner for two. Went there on a Monday evening before the dinner crowd started so we were very happy with that. Greeted by the Owner and seated by a window. Server was very attentive. Chef came to the table and introduced herself, asked how our meals were. Husband had chicken & dumplings and I had pot roast. Better than I could ever make at home and I am a pretty darn good cook. Appetizers were outstanding as well. It's a BYOB. The piano entertainment was spectacular to say the least. However, if you are looking for "fancy" this is not it. The place is very small and very comfortable with some outdoor seating if the weather permits it. We will surely be returning...

2  Thank Sherri B
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This place is a hidden gem that everyone needs to experience. The ambiance is so welcoming and cozy. The food was amazing we couldn't believe our taste buds. The service was definitely one of a kind. Shawn D was the most informative, attentive waiter we ever had (keeping in mind we're typically 5 star/city type diners) I recommend chicken and biscuits for a true homey experience

2  Thank Monzz
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

This place is right next to the rail road tracks. They have breakfast during dinner time.
I had chicken on a stick wih wild rice.
Their choc cake was to die for.
One other thing they have real ny bilays.
I found a hidden gem great place great food. The prices are not bad.
Thanks for everything Elliot