“Incredible and affordable!”

The Empire Hotel & Country Club
Reviewed January 24, 2014

The first thing I thought when I got here was, I wish my friends would take as long of a flight to experience this. Amazing service, unreal rooms with high tech features. You feel like you're the Sultan of Brunei! It's affordable because the Sultan pays for locals to stay there, which keeps costs low (potentially confusing that exact fact, but it's something along those lines). Avoid the Spaghettini restaurant. Movie theatre is glorious though and the beds - well, I stripped the sheets to find out where everything was from because all I could think about was purchasing them on the spot - turns out, it's exclusively made for the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
TheEmpireHotel, General Manager at The Empire Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous praise of The Empire and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

nigel.badminton@theempirehotel.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We found it a great place to stay, but you cannot get to the main city without 'shelling out', B$20 per person return, and we found this quite difficult, as we like to enjoy the sites of the city, where we are staying. It is HUGE.... and I mean HUGE!!! Everything is so big, you feel like you are the only people staying at the place. They have a great little internal shuttle system, which takes you from building to building eg. from accommodation to Lobby!! Overall a great place to stay if you don't want to leave the resort.
They even have a cinema which, like everywhere else on the property, has the aircon. stuck on FREEZING!!!, someone told us, it is set at 16C degrees, it was rediculous, what a waste of energy.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on your recent stay.

I have noted your comment concerning the air-conditioning and regrettably you were mistakenly informed, as the temperature is set to 22 degrees for all buildings. However, the cinema particularly was cooler at the time of your visit and this has now been adjusted.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

One of the nation's pride, The Empire Hotel & Country Club. As you step into the hotel, you are blown away by the opulence of the lobby and expanse view of South China sea. However, the hotel feels empty and one wonders how does it make money to keep up with maintenance. Anyway, we have stayed here on numerous occasions every time we are back in Brunei. The front desk service is always slow but once you are checked in, based on our experiences so far, everything is as smooth as it could be. Room is clean and we usually have a fruit platter served in the room on the first day as a welcoming gift. The location is quite far from the town, thus there's nothing else to do apart from relaxation. Might not suit everyone's idea of a hotel stay without the shopping bit thrown in.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, book a room in the main hotel building, level 4 and above as this has the unob...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Naiza,

Thank you for your constructive review and we will work on speeding up the Front Desk service in time for your next visit.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Wow, only one word to describe this amazing hotel. A pool the size of a small lake, complete with spa, bar & water feature. An indoor heated pool, private beaches and enormous gardens. Great service, beautiful rooms with large balconies and ocean views to most. Marble everything and a huge lobby. Breakfast to die for. Some shops and a café as well as restaurants. Golf buggies with driver to take you around. 8 lane bowling alley in the country club as well as billiards, squash and badminton, not to mention the golf course. Shuttle was 10 dollars pp per direction into town, taxi is 35.00 each way. This is a resort so other than a few half day tours you can spend your time here. Our sincere thanks to Dennis, Jesus, Hannah & Mel (our apologies if we have missed anyone) for excellent service.

Room Tip: Book an E Club room, guaranteed ocean views room type includes breakfast, high tea and evening cockt...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mrs W

Dear Mrs W,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and thank you for posting this review.

I will certainly convey your kind appreciation to the E Club team and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I had toured around the major parts of the city and I firmly believe that this hotel is still the best one of this country. The beautiful scenery with serenity is very relaxing. However, the staff of this hotel are very sophisticated but without heart and sincereity. We asked for a double bed, his reply : Sorry, our hotel is full and I cannot arrange any but a room with twin beds. I had no choice but believe his version. He agreed to find us any double bed room the next day after some guests check out. Yet, when I found there was some drainage problem and water split from the shower head, I demanded them to change. Then I finally realize that the hotel is not full with various empty rooms. Finally we changed to a room with double bed.
Take my advice, never try the Chinese restaurant Li Gong. Again, we were told that the restaurant was full by the concerage but when we went there, again, full nearly meant serveral tables being occupied. The quality of the food was not so good. In fact, I vomitted for several times in the next day.
The buffet of the hotel is far from satisfactory and the staff are not so up to standard in terms of the service they provide.
With too limited choices in this country, I still can say if I will go to Brunei again, this hotel is still my preference.
Lastly, I could only say it is the attitude of the staff and the quality of the food tarnish my impression of this hotel.

Room Tip: I think the rooms facing the beach is much better than the seaview for there are many tress which wi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amy3344
TheEmpireHotel, General Manager at The Empire Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Guest,

It is with great regret that I read your comments concerning our Reception service, Li Gong and the shower in your bedroom, for all of which I am sorry.

I was particularly concerned to read that you were ill after eating at Li Gong and I do hope that you have recovered fully.

I would be most grateful for the opportunity to correspond directly with you regarding your recent experience, and if you are agreeable, please could you kindly email me at the address below.

I hope to be in contact with you soon, at your convenience.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

No need to write a history, read other reviews.

Beyond massive hotel, that delivers wow factor but fails in service,ambiance, food.

Check in etc was all ok, but zero hotel info and very poor info on town tours. Finally the head concierge was able to enlighten us. Salifuden was special and helped us tremendously to work out what to do & how to get around.

Other high light was Dennis at the E-club lounge. we were meant to have breakfast there, but weren't told this at check in. Well worth the extra cost over the std buffet
The main buffet was a joke, especially when we arrived at 10am with 1/2 hour to go. I asked for two coffees; a cap & a latte...I got two brewed coffees, as well as a cap, but no latte! Most of the food had run out & the staff were only interested in cleaning up.

Went bowling, $20 [2A2C] half the lanes don't work properly.Had dinner at the Bunker Club restaurant, pretty awful, only 4 people there.

Long waits for shuttle buggy to get you around the place.

Room service OK, basic pizza was good, better than Bunker club restaurant.

Couldn't eat at Spagettini restaurant as it was closed and they extended the closed because i suspect there are not enough guests to warrant the expense to keep open.

The place was pretty deserted. Staff are adequately trained but no more, with a few standouts in a country where service is not of a high standard. Room was poorly cleaned, old socks under bed, kids found old biscuit under theirs, shower drain was very slow to drain, internet keeps disconnecting, freezing cold a/c everywhere, I ended up wearing a light jumper- crazy! I turned it off in the rooms. I have the feeling they do just enough to get by, no real initiative as teh country is used to the Sultan telling them everything & no one wants to make a mistake or do the wrong thing, most likely out of fear.

Rooms are very large & well specc'd, TV is good, Afternoon tea is excellent, $35 for one stack-expensive.

Bandoor Splendour Tour was excellent, a real high light. Faizal was a star, we got a great insight to the country.

Interesting place Brunei, i am not sure I would recommend it to others. We were going to Sabah so it was an interesting side trip, 2 days is enough!

Room Tip: another country?

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed report, and I apologize for the disappointing aspects of your stay.

Your experience of Atrium Cafe for breakfast and the shortcomings in your bedroom are inexcusable and Sylvain Boussard, Executive Assistant Manager - F&B, and Diono Suhandani, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms, have addressed your concerns.

This is indeed a quieter time of the year for the hotel and we have closed Spaghettini over this period.

Unfortunately, at the time of your visit to the bowling alleys at the Country Club, some of the lanes had to be closed for 3 hours, whilst simple repairs were undertaken. All lanes are now working.

I recognized the important of guest transportation on this large property and we are currently hiring more drivers to extend this service.

Your kind compliments have been conveyed to Salifuden, Dennis and Faizal and thank you again for bringing these matters to my attention.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

The hotel lived up to what we thought it would be, a bit over the top and grandiose. But the pools and beaches are great, the rooms rival most top hotels and the staff was very nice and friendly, even taking the time to remember the names of our small kids. However you can tell that the staff is not trained by a high-end hotel company and that the rooms lack some of the amenities you might expect once you enter such an amazing lobby. If you are looking for an amazing pool and beach area, friendly staff and a resort feel, this place is good. Also the restaurants were all good, and aside from the buffet, not too expensive (keeping in mind you are on a resort property)

Room Tip: Get an ocean view or "main building" room to be close to the pools and beach

Dear Kurt,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on your recent stay.

I agree, we have wonderful people here and I am pleased to report that we have initiated a luxury hotel service training program for all staff, which will commence shortly.

I look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kampong Jerudong
#5 of 20 in Bandar Seri Begawan
Badi'ah Hotel
Badi'ah Hotel
#3 of 20 in Bandar Seri Begawan

Been to The Empire Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!