“Excellent food and service”

Oude Wellington Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Chef owners, John & Susanna Tecklenburg , a well known husband & wife team in South Africa, welcome you with a warm heart to their restaurant set in a authentic Brandy distillery dating back to 1795. Serving country-style contemporary continental cuisine with a South-African twist from a bistro style, ever changing black board. Local, fresh farm produce. Some of the best wines in Wellington features on the wine list. Open Mondays to Saturdays for LUNCH and DINNER & Sundays LONG LUNCH
Reviewed August 22, 2014

We visited here on recommendation from a friend. The restaurant was cosy and welcoming. The food was delicious with generous portions. We started with the pea soup and my partner tried the biltong, rocquefort and port soup. For mains, I thoroughly enjoyed the ox tongue and my partner loved the kingklip.
The service and atmosphere was brilliant and we would love to visit again!

1  Thank Sarah T

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We were taking a scenic drive from Bain's Kloof and decided to stop in 'spur of the moment'. It was not very busy so we were seated immediatly. We sat inside near one of the fireplaces. Decor is Cape Dutch with an assortment of farming tools like only rakes and wooden winnowing tools adorning the upper walls. Furniture is good, solid dark wood. The menu was expansive with almost nothing your would get at a conventional restaurant. "poached lamb tongue", "lamb heart","roasted pork belly" to name but a few of the main courses.
Not being that hungry, we opted for items from the starter menu. I ordered "Fiery chicken livers", my wife had "Babotie samoosas". Here is my only critisism : There is no menu for children. My daughter is 6 and these meals would not suit her. On the plus side, however, we simply asked the waiter for "steak and chips" for her and this was not a problem to do. We also asked for a side order of fries for the table.
I was pleasantly surpised at the portion size and the presentation of my chicken livers. It was served in a basket fashioned from grated potato which was then deep fried. The samoosas were fair sized and served with home-made chutney and were very tasty. The steak was large, probably "ladies"size and my daughter did not finish it, so I had steak too and it was excellent!
The price for the starters was quite reasonable on average. However, I did notice that by contrast, the mains were very expensive. Yes, this is a 4 star restaurant but 160 to 190 for a main course is quite steep, I thought. Further, we had coffee, sparkling water and grape juice for my daughter which were fairly priced.
The setting is lovely, out of the way, almost in a little valley. Tables outside in the open or under a lapa. Great for a lazy afternoon sitting and chatting with coffee or glass of wine.

1  Thank nicholasfh
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Visited this hide away restaurant. What a fantastic experience.

Based on reviews on TripAdvisor I booked a table for 18. We were welcome with open arms and friendly faces.

I can't tell you enough of the service we had. The staff are extremely helpful and you feel at home immediately.

Then comes the surprise when you open the menu and notice that they cater for each and everyone even for the fainthearted. The menu consists of out of the ordinary dishes as well as typical bristo dishes.

The real surprise is the quality of the food as well as the big portions. The food is extremely good and tasteful. I have travelled the world and would rate this as one of the top 10 restaurants. The food is to die for. Not one of the group of 18 could find anything wrong with the quality and taste of the food.

I congratulate you on your service, your food and the smiles we got from all your staff.

I would really recommend this as one of the hide aways that you shouldn't miss.

Tubestone will definitely be coming back for more.

Congratulations you are doing it right.

1  Thank pieter k
Reviewed July 12, 2014

My GPS was giving me the most complicated, if scenic route, to Tulbach and because it was taking longer than we thought we turned into Oude Wellington's gates for luncheon. Smart move!
The restaurant had a rustic charm and a warm fire going, so that was a good start. The menu was quite large, as was the wine list, and full of old fashioned rib sticking dishes, such as tripe, marrow from bones on toast, heart, and sticky toffee pudding.
There were an elderly couple, who ordered soup and a pudding and a young American family, of five, as the only other patrons, so the chef was not exactly rushed off his feet. And for such a small clientele I felt the food took too long to be plated. Even the soup was over half an hour to come to table. But that said the slowness of bringing the food was the only niggle I have with the Oude Wellington.
Jill ordered Vineyard Snails as a starter. They called it some fancy name but they were really Snail Spring Rolls with Tzatziki. The pastry was slightly thick, but she really enjoyed them and Dutch Owner Chef John Tecklenburg was not stingy with the snails. My starter was Fiery Chicken livers on a crispy Potato Basket. If I had known the size of the portion I may well have not had the main course that I did. The livers were well cooked and spicy. The potatoes were crispy on the outside, with a soft mash interior that soaked up the gravy nicely. I really enjoyed this dish.
For main course Jill had Ox Tongue with a Gherkin and Grain Mustard Sauce and Veggies. Again a huge portion and the tongue was as soft as butter. She really enjoyed it. I went for another old favourite Sheep's Heart in a thick gravy and veggies. I have not had heart since, well a very, very long time ago and I was a bit apprehensive as to whether I had made a bad choice or not. It was definitely the right choice. The hearts were soft and the gravy thick and full of flavour. The vegetables were well cooked, especially the fried Corn Ball, which I could have had many more of ! The only thing missing was a chunk of fresh bread to mop up what was left of the sauce, but then again it would have been a struggle to push it down into my tummy as it was so full. That being the case we skipped pudding and although my heart was screaming out for me to try one, my head ruled much more sensibly!!
I had a glass of white wine, and Jill a coffee and a bottle of sparkling water. With tip it came to R560. It was an enjoyable experience with old fashioned food given in generous amounts. Definitely a return visit when we are next in the area.

3  Thank Mervyn C
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We booked into the Oude Wellington Guest house and they had made a reservation at this restaurant on our behalf. We wanted to go into town but it was cold and rainy so we settled down to eat here. Where we glad from the started to the dessert was a flavor extravaganza. The specially made a vegetarian dish for my wife which was the best she ever had. The food was so good we booked immediately for the next night and we were not dissapointed. The food was as good if not better than the night before. I can't wait to get back to Wellington to try this restaurant again

1  Thank Pierre R