“Just passing”

Oude Wellington Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 20 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: African, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: LUNCH AND DINNER and light meals inbetween. John & Susanna Tecklenburg chefs & owners, a well known husband & wife team in South Africa, welcome you with a warm heart to their restaurant set in a authentic Brandy distillery dating back to 1795. Serving country-style contemporary continental cuisine with a South-African twist from a bistro style, ever changing black board. Local, fresh farm produce. Some of the best wines in Wellington features on the wine list. Open Mondays to Sundays LUNCH and DINNER
Somerset West
“Just passing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

My GPS was giving me the most complicated, if scenic route, to Tulbach and because it was taking longer than we thought we turned into Oude Wellington's gates for luncheon. Smart move!
The restaurant had a rustic charm and a warm fire going, so that was a good start. The menu was quite large, as was the wine list, and full of old fashioned rib sticking dishes, such as tripe, marrow from bones on toast, heart, and sticky toffee pudding.
There were an elderly couple, who ordered soup and a pudding and a young American family, of five, as the only other patrons, so the chef was not exactly rushed off his feet. And for such a small clientele I felt the food took too long to be plated. Even the soup was over half an hour to come to table. But that said the slowness of bringing the food was the only niggle I have with the Oude Wellington.
Jill ordered Vineyard Snails as a starter. They called it some fancy name but they were really Snail Spring Rolls with Tzatziki. The pastry was slightly thick, but she really enjoyed them and Dutch Owner Chef John Tecklenburg was not stingy with the snails. My starter was Fiery Chicken livers on a crispy Potato Basket. If I had known the size of the portion I may well have not had the main course that I did. The livers were well cooked and spicy. The potatoes were crispy on the outside, with a soft mash interior that soaked up the gravy nicely. I really enjoyed this dish.
For main course Jill had Ox Tongue with a Gherkin and Grain Mustard Sauce and Veggies. Again a huge portion and the tongue was as soft as butter. She really enjoyed it. I went for another old favourite Sheep's Heart in a thick gravy and veggies. I have not had heart since, well a very, very long time ago and I was a bit apprehensive as to whether I had made a bad choice or not. It was definitely the right choice. The hearts were soft and the gravy thick and full of flavour. The vegetables were well cooked, especially the fried Corn Ball, which I could have had many more of ! The only thing missing was a chunk of fresh bread to mop up what was left of the sauce, but then again it would have been a struggle to push it down into my tummy as it was so full. That being the case we skipped pudding and although my heart was screaming out for me to try one, my head ruled much more sensibly!!
I had a glass of white wine, and Jill a coffee and a bottle of sparkling water. With tip it came to R560. It was an enjoyable experience with old fashioned food given in generous amounts. Definitely a return visit when we are next in the area.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Mervyn C

Fish Hoek, South Africa
“Absolutely Hooked”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

We booked into the Oude Wellington Guest house and they had made a reservation at this restaurant on our behalf. We wanted to go into town but it was cold and rainy so we settled down to eat here. Where we glad from the started to the dessert was a flavor extravaganza. The specially made a vegetarian dish for my wife which was the best she ever had. The food was so good we booked immediately for the next night and we were not dissapointed. The food was as good if not better than the night before. I can't wait to get back to Wellington to try this restaurant again

1 Thank Pierre R
Wellington, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“World Class Cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

World class cuisine in a beautiful hidden historic setting. The outstanding food and wines are sourced from the Wellington area. The food and setting will enchant all your senses.

1 Thank Jan K
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Top notch dinner in Wellington”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

My wife and friends visited this establishment last night and really enjoyed our dinner. The fireplace and olde world charm added to the ambience. Susanna is a great host and welcomes all guests as old friends. A small restaurant with a smoking and non smoking section. A little pricey but I suppose you have to pay for decent food nowadays. The peppered fillet was really good. My friend had the lambs heart. Yuk! but that's what he likes and thought it was excellent. I was hoping that there would have been more of a choice for my vegetarian wife but she was reasonably happy with her plate of vegetables. Was not mad about the apple crumble dessert but looking at my friends's choices, they looked good. All in all, albeit a pricey evening out, a good evening out. The only german chef/owner was a bit grumpy about people parking close to the restaurant. There's no designated parking area as the restaurant is on a farm but he had a bit of a bee in his bonnet shouting at his patrons outside the venue to move their vehicles to another location.Quite an amusing "Gordon Ramsey" moment.

1 Thank AndrewW492
Ceres, South Africa
“Father's Day Treat - Lionelh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

We visited the restaurant on Father's Day and what a treat it was. The cosy, warm and homely atmosphere was wonderful. The food was prepared to perfection and the portions were large. Great hospitality contributed to this culinary experience.
The drive to this hidden gem was well worth our while - it won't be our last.

2 Thank Lionel941