“One night stop over”

Aan de Oever Guesthouse
Ranked #3 of 38 Swellendam B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We attended a wedding in the church just around the corner, so decided to give this B&B a try. We were quite a big group that stayed there. My mother, my brother and his family, us and two of my friends. We all agreed that it was excellent value for money and loved our rooms. When we got back after the reception, the aircon was on, heating up the room and the electric blankets on the beds as well. JOY! :o) The garden is also very nice and if you are into birding, the birds in the garden was a joy to watch. The breakfast was great, but the best part (that little extra something) was the muffins that we all got to snack on whilst driving back to Cape Town. I will recommend this B&B to anybody and will most certainly stay there again in future.

There were only two things that 'bugged' me. Our room only had blinds at the door and no curtains, which meant that it wasn't totally dark and I want DARK when I sleep. The other thing is that the kitchen is right next to the dining area and the smell of frying bacon etc went into our clothes, so we smelt as if we have been cooking up a storm that morning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SMouton2013
There are newer reviews for Aan de Oever Guesthouse

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We loved the garden and vegetarian breakfast! The info leaflet in the room came in very handy and also the room itself was nice - spacious and comfortable. When we left in the morning it turned out our car was washed - what a nice gesture! Also we could use the PC in the breakfast room to make some practical arrangements, which comes in very handy for travellers like us who communicate often via the Internet for practical and social reasons.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Johan A
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My first visit to Swellendam and I seem have have picked a real gem. The staff are amazing, the rooms are excellent, large and cater for all one requires and more - DSTV, electric blankets, snacks, mini bar and a list of resturants with their menu's. Stunning bathrooms, I had a bath and shower. The setting is amazing, the gardens well kept and very tranquil. The breakfast on offer is delicious with so much to choose from and all this at a very reasonable price. I would highly recommend a stay if you in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GeminiG17
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Only stayed over one night, but I wish it was more. We stayed in the family room and it was very nice and spacious (particularly loved the corner bath in the bathroom). The grounds is exceptional and the staff is ready to go above and beyond with their service. Breakfast was delicious. Thank you Nadia for the oppertunity to stay at this lovely guesthouse, i will definately stay over in future.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Elmarie01
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The main house of this hotel looks gorgeous - Cape Dutch style. I'd booked the family room (Guinea fowl) and it was set to the side in a separate building. It was very spacious and pleasant but very dark and I didn't feel it was secure so I didn't sleep well. We were straight off the plane from Europe (via very high security in Cape Town for a night) so that will explain my concern and Swellendam is a very safe area BUT it would have been very easy to get into the room should someone have wanted to (which it is unlikely, just saying!)

The garden is beautiful and my husband and kids enjoyed playing in the river.

Beware the orange bath water which gave us a shock - but when you see the river you'll know why it is orange!

Breakfast was nice, the manager was helpful and friendly, the car was washed and we were sent away with muffins.

We had a lovely lunch at The Old Gaol Cafe and left Swellendam thinking it was a pleasant little place and that we had had a good time. We were glad to make a stop so that we didn't have to drive too far in one go along the coast.

Room Tip: One in the main house if travelling as a couple.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sqwyf
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had an amazing stay at Aan de Oever Guesthouse. The price was ridiculously cheap for what I got. Attention to detail was everywhere, from the various fresh flowers in the bathroom to the easter eggs on the bed (it was Easter). The breakfast in the morning was spectacular. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank tripswellendam1
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The owners are particulary pleasant and professional. We have got everything to fell like at home, in a very confortable, immaculate and nice room.
Big garden with a stunning view on the mountains next to a quiet stream.
Good rates, wonderful breakfast.
We strongly recommend this place.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple