“Consists of several historic buildings - excellent”
Review of Drostdy Museum

Drostdy Museum
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Swellendam
More attraction details
Owner description: This former government building, an architectural treasure in itself, is now a museum containing some impressive artifacts. Particularly noteworthy is a collection of late 18th and early 19th century Cape furniture.
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We loved all the different aspects of the story of the history of Swellendam. We were only here for two nights and spent one whole day on visiting different buildings of the Museum and the historic church. It was so hot, it was a relief to go inside!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

The entrance ticket entitles you to visit various properties of interest, including Mayville, a property with a formal garden so you can easily spend a couple of hours wandering round. There is a small shop in the museum. All worth a visit.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I can understand that the museum should keep to its original build, but the least that can be done, especially if you want to attract wheelchair users, is to upgrade the pathways. The ride for me was very bumpy, therefore very uncomfortable...I don't have muscle control and my husband had to hold me and steer the wheelchair, so it was very tiring for him as well. The staff, however, were very friendly and helpful. No tour guides during the busiest season was a let down. This attraction needs some historical characters roaming around as well.

2  Thank Fionna M
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Museum Schmuseaum, hey! This is the most interesting museum next to the District Six Museum in Cape Town. Here you will understand SA. There are things here I learned about my own country I never knew. Thank you Johan for making it easy to understand.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We visited this museum, it was nice, clean and very interesting. We had a nice conversation in Afrikaans and Dutch.
It was fun!