“Great food and excellent service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Vagebond Restaurant

De Vagebond Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 36 Restaurants in Swellendam
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Under New ownership since 1 December 2010, it became a Family Restaurant serving Local Cuisine and Traditional South African Dishes, including; Bobotie, Game Pie, Kudu Fillet, Springbok Shank, Malva Pudding. We stock some of the regions finest wines and have a fully stocked bar. A big fire will be burning in the evenings if the weather allows to welcome all to a romantic night of the best South Africa have to offer.
Leeuwarden
“Great food and excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

The owners of the lodge we stayed in made a reservation at this restaurant and i'm glad they did it was really worth it. When we arrived we saw the place was already packed with locals which is a very good sign for a restaurant.

After this we experienced service on a whole different level. When we arrived there was already a small snack prepared for our 4 year old daughter, and she was very happy to see that (and we as well)

The food in this restaurant is delicious. We all had different types of food, pizza,pasta and seafood but it was very good.

Our table attendant was professional and most of all friendly and offered crayons and paper for our little one to start drawing.

If you're planning on eating out in Swellendam, don't think twice just go here. You won't be dissapointed.

Thank you for the great food and service!

Visited December 2011

hainaut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“friendly and good place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

The restaurant is situated in an olde house with open fire, offers excellent traditional SA cuisine; reasonable prices; service was very friendly and perfect.

Visited November 2011
Ottawa, Canada
“My FAVOURITE restaurant in South Africa! (I've been in SA for 8 months)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

De Vagebond is an absolutely terrific restaurant and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. The restaurant has had new owners since December 2010 -- and I wish I could erase the previous negative comments because they no longer apply. The new owners are delightful!

My family and I (husband and children aged 4 and 1) have been in South Africa (from Canada) for over 8 months now, while I have been completing my Master's degree in Law at the University of Stellenbosch. We have travelled throughout the country and have visited MANY restaurants -- from family restaurants to fine dining establishments. My husband and I are both proud "foodies" : ) I am very serious when I say that this is my favourite restaurant in South Africa.

Our family arrived at De Vagebond hungry and tired last week after a long drive along the Garden Route and we were astonished at the quality of both the service and the food (The decor is very cute as well). The staff (including the kitchen staff) were extremely friendly and welcoming and were very attentive to our needs. For example, although it was dinner time, we asked whether they would accept to make a lunch menu item (a toasted sandwich) for our 1 year old and they gracously accepted. They also told our 4 year old son that he could choose anything from the menu and that they would "tailor" it into a child's meal. This was greatly appreciated. Our son *loved* his (large) child-sized portion of babootie.

I ordered the "ladies portion" of rump steak (which was *huge* and came with not one, but two pieces of steak -- probably 8-10oz each!) with a side of potato wedges and a side salad with pieces of apple (Yummm!). The steak was perfectly cooked and the sides were delicious. My husband ordered the Kudu fillet and swore that it was the "best piece of meat" he had ever eaten. Again, the meat was perfectly cooked and the red wine reduction which toped the fillet made the dish.

When the children had finished eating, the owner of the restaurant took them out to play in the open area behind the restaurant so that my husband and I could enjoy our meals. How lovely and generous!

De Vagebond is a stellar restaurant and I would not miss an opportunity to eat there! It is as appropriate for families as it is for romantic dates (they actually light fireplaces in the evening which are very nice, and they have a very nice wine list : ).

Enjoy!

• Visited September 2011
3 Thank KaryneM
cape town
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Welcoming and delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

I felt compelled to write a review of de Vagabond after reading previous reviews on this site. The restaurant has recently changed hands and if the previous reviews are to be believed it has improved considerably. In four days we visited three times, initially because we needed somewhere to feed our small son and only to be hooked by the friendly welcome and delicious food. The owners and staff are extremely attentive and good natured, and despite our turning up at six to eat the service was efficient and the food arrived immediately. Particularly good was the game pie and my wife loved their homemade pasta. Our son was treated like a prince and the owner even took him off for a play so I could enjoy my beer in peace for the first time in weeks. My only regret is that we never visited later in the evening, but judging by the scene as we drove by I'm not sure we would have got a table. For anyone driving through Swellendam or perhaps staying a few nights this a place to come for warmth, relaxation and hearty, delicious food.

• Visited February 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Robin M
Franche-Comte, France
“Dreadful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2010

This had to be the low light of our vacation. There is a limited choice of restaurants on a Sunday night in Swellendam. When we arrived there were two other tables inside and a few people enjoying a drink outside on the terrace. The service was so slow that one of the other tables suggested ordering dessert when their starter arrived. The food was very poor and no apology was made for the one hour plus wait between course.

We had not eaten here on our first night as the waitress seemed so disinterested when we made enquiries. I wish we hadn't bothered on our second visit to Swellendam.

• 2 of 5 bubbles