De Oude Pastorie Guesthouse
Karoo Art Hotel(Barrydale)
  • Pool
Victoria Hotel(Bredasdorp)
View Hotel
All reviewsone nightrich in historyowners are greatgarden routecape townb bguest houseexcellent hospitalitysuper breakfastexcellent staymoment you arrivedinner reservationsperfect hostsmade us feel at homepowell houseold housenew owners
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 23, 2013

A very comfortable establishment with the feeling of total luxury , quality and warmth of the very friendly owners . We staid in the Pharoah room with the wonderful fire place and great views , highly recommendable for a romantic getaway .

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Carlo V
Reviewed March 10, 2013

On our way from Knysna to Cape Town we decided to stay over in Swellendam to break the trip. No accommodation was booked, assuming that a place for a family of 4 would be easy to find in a town with many, many B&B's. Not so! But we were welcomed at the De Oude Pastorie and stayed in the very spacious family room upstairs with a fantastic bathroom. The room was quickly prepared for our toddler with a baby bed. Breakfast was great and the house is family friendly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Monika K
Reviewed November 18, 2012

It is a pity, that we only stayed for one night on our way from Capetown to Knysna. We were travelling with my mum, in a group of three and even as we booked a cheaper single room they gave us the two luxury rooms upstairs with our own living room and veranda. Both bathrooms were extraordinary, lots of space nice combination of wood and stone with giant shower and victorian bath. As we only stayed one night we had no possibility to use the very nice looking pool. We have been there the day after the riots and all the restaurants were closed, we even got a mail from Dina discribing the circumstance and an invitation to join them for a barbecue in the evening. The breakfast was very good, too. You will not experience professionals in tourism ( who will describe the house and the surroundings in high speed ) as the owners are new in this business but you will feel more like a guest of the family in their house. Swellendam is perfect for a stopover between capetown and the following Garden Route and my recommendation is to stay longer then one night, enjoy this unique and well restaurated place before you move on. The pets are very friendly and made us feel at home. It is not just a guesthouse, its an experience ;-)

Stayed: November 2012
Dina L, Owner at De Oude Pastorie Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Thank you,for your kind words it was a pleasure having you in our Guest house,hope to see you soon again

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We booked to stay with for a mountain biking event, and paid our deposit. When my partner was delayed returning from a trip overseas and arrived back too sick to cycle. I had to phone and cancel. I assumed we would lose our deposit. She was completely understanding of our dilemma and offered to re-fund our deposit. We will definitely go back to stay!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We booked and paid a deposit. When we arrived the guest house gates were locked - seems they had closed down. Had no contact from them and they didnt answer their mobile when I called from outside. Had a sick 11 year old with us - it was freezing and it took me nearly 2 hours to find suitable other accommodation (there was a festival on) which ended up being a mattress on the floor for the child. We ended up having to split our group into two guest houses. I made my booking by email and received replies so there was no reason they could not contact me They could at the very least have rebooked us somewhere else and left a note on the gate. I have since received my deposit back having been put in contact with the owner through the tourist board but nothing further to cover the extra expenses. I have had to pass the refund back to my guests as a goodwill gesture.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Joy B
Dina L, Owner at De Oude Pastorie Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

I'm so sorry that you had this bad experience,my husband and I bought the guesthouse middle of February 2012 and we are busy renovation and restoring this lovely old mansion to its former beauty.