“A surprising fantastic meal”

La Sosta Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 39 Restaurants in Swellendam
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: La Sosta is a FINE DINING Restaurant. A modern and contemporary Italian Restaurant working with 3 Different Tasting Menu . EatOut Award 2014 BEST ITALIAN RESTAURANT IN SOUTH AFRICA Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My partner and I weren't expecting much, seeing as Swellendam is a small town and it's residents don't seem like foodies. We were completely blown away. Upon arrival we were greeted by the owner who promptly gave us a complimentary amuse bouche of hand cured beef. It was so good we followed that up with an order of antipasto which was an array of delicious meats. The mains we had were both delicious, chicken cooked three ways and mushroom ravioli. The cherry on top of the sunday was dessert. The chocolate cake is by far the best chocolate cake I have ever had the pleasure of eating. It's rich and creamy and not at all dry. There is clearly care taken in each menu item and it shows. On our garden route trip we booked meals at all the top restaurants, and this place by far outdid the rest. Highly recommend.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I say so only because I haven't tried those in other regions but I am pretty sure that otherwise I could say the best Italian restaurant in South Africa.

Gianni, the owner together with her wife Cristiana, is a perfect host, always kind and keen to accommodate different needs. We've been to la Sosta already several times. Cristiana prepares sublime authentic Italian dishes changing menu according to season in order to use always the freshest products. Looking forward to our next visit!

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is a need in your life! Exceptional food and hospitality! Please please please do yourself a favour and go! Possibly the best food ever!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Whilst this town does not have many choices and this restaurant was highly recommended from our opinion it was the worst we experienced in many weeks of eating out from Durban right down to Port Elizabeth and then along the Garden route to cape Town.

This is not what you might expect for an Italian and it is or was when we had a meal more Neuveux Cuisine - large plates with minute bits of food at really expensive prices.

Whilst the owner tries to be helpful - basically one is faced with the limited Menu and not much deviation or change is possible.

No doubt if you want gourmet style food not wholesome Italian food you may like this. I think you should be warned this is not the place to eat if you are hungry.

I found some better places locally. In fact we went to the Woodpecker Pizzadelli for more food after leaving La Sosta as we were so hungry.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed at the guesthouse which was very comfortable and dined in the exquisite restaurant which is run by a husband and wife team, chef Christiana and front of house fort, Gianni. Both Christiana and Gianni are charming. They made us feel very welcome and catered for our every need. The food in the restaurant is just fantastic- hands down the best Italian I have ever had. I do not eat any meat and yet I had many options to choose from. Gianni makes the most wonderful desserts. I had the belgian chocolate cake which was the best chocolate cake I have ever tasted and my husband had the tiramisu which was out of this world. Christiana also cooked my toddler his own meal early in the the evening which was healthy and delicious. Stopping over at La Sosta was a real joy. I cannot recommend it highly enough.