“Best Italian restaurant we have been to in SA”

La Sosta Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 39 Restaurants in Swellendam
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: La Sosta is a FINE DINING Restaurant. A modern and contemporary Italian Restaurant working with 3 Different Tasting Menu . EatOut Award 2014 BEST ITALIAN RESTAURANT IN SOUTH AFRICA Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Visited this restaurant for the 7th time during our holidays in several years, whenever in the neighbourhood of Swellendam. It is really the best restaurant we have been dining in. Small, cosy, 22 seats only, but fantastic Italian food. We can only recommend this to people who enjoy the Italian cuisine!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Lovely food in an attractive comfortable setting. A small menu but all made by the host, fresh and tasty Italian cooking

Reviewed March 1, 2013

This was a great food experience...and very different ,and not expected to find in this special Dorf. We were lucky to get one of the few tables because of a cancellation,and this brought us to this tasty journey. This place express well the difference between a skillful chef and when you have someone like Cristiana behind the stove who shares her passion for cooking.Husband Giovanni presents and explains the food in a very convincing way.They both came from a total different enviroment in Milano Italy ,where they go back every year to learn and stay updated.I spent two trips to Italy last year and did not have a meal like this. So,make it easy for yourself ,go to Swellendam instead ,its worth it,but do not forget to book a table.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

First up, this is a genuine Italian restaurant and should not in any way be confused with a pasta and pizza place. It is also home to some of the best Italian food I have had the privilege to taste!

The restaurant is run by a husband and wife team - she is the chef and he is front of house. La Sosta has 8 or 10 tables and a measured flow of patrons at specified times. That allows the chef to create a few delicious things at a time.

Menu changes monthly. I ate the lamb cutlets, crusted with parmesan and my wife the duck breast on risotto. The lamb dish was very close to the tastiest thing I have ever eaten; meanwhile my wife was making the same sort of comments about the duck. I tasted her risotto - heaven. Desserts were even better!

Do not turn up on spec for this place - several people did whilst we ate, and none got fed. Do book however if you are in Swellendam; eat the lamb if it is on; but eat here whatever - it is fantastic .

1  Thank grahamee
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Dinner for two. Table booked by our B & B to help we newcomers. Beautiful restaurant. Very atmospheric. Great staff and an owner fully involved in ensuring diners were content.

Trouble is, we had major problems finding a choice on the menu of food we like. NOT anyone's fault but me. We love fish in S Africa, but the only dish was salmon. Not a local fish I think. In S Africa, steaks are super, but the only beef on the menu was tartare. Not for me. Choices were getting limited with cold meats, raw ham and melon, and other dishes that seemed more at home in the 1980s.

Apart from seeing a cat making for the kitchen at one stage, I imagine that lovers of traditional Italian food will find this place heaven. Once again, I'm not criticising the restaurant at all, it's just that the menu might not appeal to other grumpy old folk like me.