“Erinvale Spa”

Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Somerset West
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I went for a massage at the Erinvale Spa.

Firstly, the manageress was lovely, offered me a complimentary steam before I went for my massage.

The massage therapist however, was not so lovely.

I lied down and as soon as her feet was under my face I had to start holding my breath. Her feet smelled so bad it was like someone put my husband's running shoes under my nose.

Her nails was also too long and her breath was really bad too.

All in all, I was hoping for a nice spa experience, filled with the normal scents and relaxed feelings, but I went home with that smelly feet smell still lingering.

I phoned the manageress, who apologized and said that she thanks me for being honest... she hopes that they would see me again. No complimentary treatment to actually give me the treatment I've paid for.

I don't know, very very bad client service.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Carina S
Jean-Paul v, Ginkgo Spa & Wellness Group at Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Carina S,

As owner of the Ginkgo Brand and operator of the Spa at Erinvale I would publicly like to respond to your post. It is indeed unfortunate and we regret most sincerely that your experience with us was a negative one. Due to our interaction with onlybusiness.com your concerns were immediately directed to me. I tried to call you straightaway and followed this up with an email addressing your experience. You returned my call and we were able to discuss this in more detail. I apologized to you for your unpleasant experience and thanked you for bringing this matter to my attention. A choice of either a full re-imbursement or a similar treatment at any of our spas was offered as compensation. You accepted the latter. Obviously this was a very unfortunate incidence – one that thankfully is not the norm and that has subsequently been addressed.

Peter Krug – Ginkgo Spa & Wellness Group

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Everything is perfect in this hotel, welcome, service, attention to guest, nice settings, great location.
The room is well decorated, you feel very comfortable, cute bathroom. Fast wifi.
Nice pools (but small) to rest and tan aside. Amazing landscape around.
Great restaurant, delicious buffet dinner, you have your breakfast among peacocks families.
Warm atmosphere. Will definitely recommend this place !!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Jean-Paul v, General Manager at Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Pitt1912

Thank you for the positive and complementary feedback. We're glad that you enjoyed the stay and the atmosphere the hotel offers. Its great to hear that you appreciated so many of the hotel's offerings and small details. The pool size is noted, and hopefully in the near future this to will add to a perfect stay.

Thanks you for the recommendations and I trust that we will welcome you back to the hotel soon for another memorable experience.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed four nights for a wedding and had a brilliant stay at Erinvale. We had a room near the pool, and it was incredibly spacious and clean. We were on the top floor with the thatched roof above, so did encounter a few bugs. However, when you turn the air con on they tend to disappear. There was also a huge four poster bed in the room which made our stay feel very luxurious. Everything about Erinvale is relaxing and pleasant.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid bugs ask for a ground floor room
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear User9563

Thank you for tking the time to give us your valuable feedback. We're delighted that you're stay with us was relaxing and pleasant.

We trust that we will welcome you back to the hotel soon for another relaxing end memorable stay that will be even better and completely bug free.

Kind Regards,

Jean-Paul & the Erinvale staff

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Despite the natural beauty in which the hotel is situated, the hotel has serious issues which will have to be addressed.

It is clear that this hotel management need to take a serious look at the hotel in terms of the building, the rooms, and the manner in which the guests are treated.

The newer eastern section of the hotel has serious maintenance issues: the carpets in the rooms have not been replaced in years. Basic electrical appliance upkeep of air-conditioners and extractor fans need maintenance, the telephone system is some of the rooms are dead. To have all three problems in one room, room 30, is highly unfortunate. The small window in this room has broken out of the top hinge, and one cannot open the window. Not good when the inside temp exceeds 30!! I had to buy insect repellant in order to get rid of the ants and other insects in the room.

I do not think the mattresses in these rooms have ever been replaced. They were dreadful. I dare the general manager to spend a day in mid summer in room 30, and to sleep in the room too! The sleep quality was non-existant.

I reported all these issues, and despite the promise that "someone from maintenance will come and have a look", nothing happened. Only after I reported the same issues to a different front of house manager five hours later, did he offer a different room,which presented even worse mattresses and another family of insects!

The outside temp was in the high 30's with rooms facing west. Surely management should think of placing outside umbrellas on the verandah in order to make these rooms humanly habitable?

Why do the ground staff have to start sucking leaves with a noisy machine 7:00 in the morning? What sort of consideration is given to guests at all?

On a positive note, the staff generally seem to be happy and are mostly friendly. But unless basic maintenance is given serious consideration, these wonderful people will have to find another hotel to work at very shortly, as the hotel guests will continue to dwindle with these sort of p

I sincerely hope this is a wake up call.

Room Tip: Rooms in the northern side of the hotel are better ventilated and much cooler than those facing west...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean-Paul v, General Manager at Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear LyonBen

Firstly allow me the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

It is with dismay that I read your feedback to learn that there were various aspects of your stay with us that was disappointing and not up to standard. I sincerely apologise for this and I can assure that this is definitely not the standards we strive to deliver.

I can report back that the faulty equipment as mentioned has already been fixed or replaced. I realise that this is after you stay, but given the time of the year with most factories closed and companies running on skeleton staff, we were unfortunately not able to replace the air conditioner over the weekend and we realise that the measures we took to improve the situation does not meet the same standard as a fully functional unit. I can also assure you that I have already addressed you feedback with the various management staff to ensure that we maintain our standards, double check all facilities and equipment, communicate thoroughly to our guests, and make the necessary improvements where needed.

Please contact me directly when next the opportunity arises to stay in the area, we would be privileged to host you again and will ensure that you have a relaxing and memorable stay with us.

Kind Regards,

Jean-Paul & the Staff

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed here for one night and overall had a good experience.
Highs - Very nice room, very friendly front of house staff, helpful in taking our luggage up to the start of the w2w race, excellent breakfast!
Lows - The pub staff seem very disorganised and disinterested. We had to go and find someone to take our order after being told 30 mins earlier that we couldn't order at the bar, and that someone would be out to us shortly...
The food then took another 30 mins to arrive.
Only a small issue which is a shame as the rest of the hotel was very nice!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Jean-Paul v, General Manager at Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear martin1England

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We appreciate the positive feedback together with the lows. It is with disappointment that I read that we did not deliver the standard of service we should have in all the areas of the hotel. I sincerely apologise for this.

I can assure you that this is not the standards that we strive to deliver and we have already addressed this with the team to ensure that we do not have a similar incident to what you experienced.

I trust that we will welcome you back to the hotel soon or for the next W2W race, and we'll ensure that you have a memorable and enjoyable experience with us.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Regards,

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Pretty, clean hotel in lovely surroundings. Hotel has very nice public areas in which to sit, inside and outside. Very good service - all staff from front desk to cleaners very welcoming and cannot do enough for you.

Unfortunately we were given a room with only one window which was set back from the room, and overlooking the car park, which was very dark during the day and quite noisy at times.

There was an excellent choice of hot and cold buffet breakfast which was included in the room price. Food and service in the Skelligs did not quite match that of the rest of the hotel.

Would stay again if a better room could be arranged.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean-Paul v, General Manager at Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear jameskc_12

Thank you for the feedback. We're delighted that you enjoyed stay with us and were well looked after by the staff.

On your next visit, please ask us for an alterative room, I'm certain one of our other rooms will be to your liking and help to create a comfortable and relaxing stay.

Please also try our Seventeen07 restaurant on your next stay as an excellent and completely different dinning option to the Skelligs Pub.

Thanks again for the feedback and we trust that we will welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for an even better and relaxing stay.

Kind regards,

Jean-Paul & the staff

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went for a sundowner at the hotel restaurant and we decided to sit outside on the terrace. The atmosphere was magic...Under the trees cool breeze passing over us... a lovely way to end the day.
Only one thing made the setting a bit unpleasant, the service. We waited ages before we got served and when we did I had to go inside to and remind the waitress about the order. We also waited nearly an hour for a club sandwich. It wasn't busy at all so I don't know what the problem was, I had to speak to the manager before the food miraculously arrived. Apart from the shoddy service, the food was good and the ambience was great. ...

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Andrew L

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is with disappointment that I read that we did not deliver the standard of service we should have. I sincerely apologise for this.

I trust that we will welcome you back to the hotel soon, and we'll ensure that you have a memorable and enjoyable experience with us.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Regards,

#9 of 17 in Stellenbosch
Krystal Beach Hotel
Krystal Beach Hotel
#2 of 2 in Gordon's Bay

Been to Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!