“Perfect way to spend a day”

Wine Escapes - Exclusive Cellar & Vineyard Tours
Ranked #1 of 8 Tours in Somerset West
More attraction details
Owner description: Wine Escapes was born out of a love for South Africa, its great wine and a passion to share our wine culture and heritage. Our vision is thus to partner with various wine farms in building South Africa's reputation as a wine destination of choice. To do this we offer specialized, exclusive wine tours where guests are introduced to some of the best Estates and wines, whilst providing them with excellent service and hospitality.
Reviewed June 1, 2013

From the pre-tour e-mails exchanged with John, where he asked us about our likes and dislikes, and our aims for the day, to the gift bag greeting as John picked us up from our country inn, to the knowledge imparted as we drove between the estates we visited, this was such a perfect day.

Whilst the estates we visited were excellent, and the recommendation for lunch was equally so, what made this day was the way that John became like an extra part of our group, regaling us with stories of his experiences and improving our knowledge of the Cape winelands.

If you're looking for a tour with a personal touch, want to actually learn about the wine you're drinking and the region and country you're visiting, I can't recommend Wine Escapes more highly.

Sherry-Linn, Owner at Wine Escapes - Exclusive Cellar & Vineyard Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you for the review. It was a great pleasure showing you around our Winelands. We hope you managed to hold onto those special wines you found for a special occasion. Look forward to seeing you again when you are back in SA.

There are newer reviews for Wine Escapes - Exclusive Cellar & Vineyard Tours

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I took a full day tour with John yesterday that ran from 9:30am to 5:00pm, and I was very impressed with the company's organization and with John himself as a guide. He not only knows wines but also is able to explain a lot of things about the history of South Africa. He is quite intuitive and was able to help me narrow down (as a fairly uninformed consumer) my preferred tastes before we had even left the first winery. The winemakers were all very pleasant and informative and they all had great quality product. Lunch was at a lovely place called "The Long Table" and I had a hard time keeping from overeating! As I had also expressed an interest in sampling local cheese and olives, John was happy to accommodate this as well and I was able to bring some good local stuff back with me. I did only buy one bottle of wine on site but upon asking at check in, I learned that you are allowed to bring up to 6 bottles through domestic security as carry-on. I will be back with my "better half" in the future for sure!

Thank you for sending us such a kind review. You are quite right, other than great wine South Africa does have fantastic food, cheese, olives and olive oils. We look forward to seeing you again to introduce you to some new and beautiful places.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I am so glad we booked with Wine Escapes. We didn't know until the day before whether we'd be a group of 6 or 2 and John was totally flexible. It turned out we were 2 - my girlfriend and I had the best of days with John giving us a tailored tour. Really good information, but not pretentious, just a great way to spend a day - eating and drinking fine wine and with John's company it made this a really enjoyable day out.
I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone.
Thanks John.
Andrew & Samantha

Sherry-Linn, Owner at Wine Escapes - Exclusive Cellar & Vineyard Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you very much for your review and for spending your day with us in the Capes beautiful vineyards. Our jobs are made so much easier by them and we look forward to showing you a few more when you are back in SA!!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was by far the best tour I took while in Cape Town. I was greated with a warm hello and a gift basket. The gift was full of snacks, a engraved wine glass, pen and paper to take notes throughout my day. I must say the gift really set a tone for the whole day. As the tour started it went from great to excellent! I described the wine I liked to John and he had set up a beautiful day with 3 boutique vineyards. John was spot on, I enjoyed every wine I tasted. The only problem I had was not enough room in my luggage to take home every bottle. Throughout the day John was right there to answer any question and explain the wine making process. Wine Escapes is a MUST while visiting Cape Town.

Sherry-Linn, Owner at Wine Escapes - Exclusive Cellar & Vineyard Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you very much for sending us a review. We are so glad you enjoyed your tour as well as the Gift Bag, we hope you think back to South Africa when you use the glass. Our wines here in SA really do speak for themselves and we hope you enjoy them back home as much as you did on your tour.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

On our trip to the Cape in March, my husband and I had one full day to explore the wine region so I asked our hotel for recommendations of guides to plan our trip and maximize our time. Luckily, they connected us to John and Wine Escapes - he is the best! John emailed to discuss preferences in advance, and then planned a wonderful day in Stellenbosch and Franschhoek with visits to five vineyards (don't miss the wine and chocolate pairing at Waterford, or lunch at La Petit Ferme). He picked us up at our hotel that morning and we had the best time learning from him about South African wine and South Africa in general. He clearly loves his job, and we felt like we were with a friend rather than a guide. The vineyard selection was amazing - off the beaten path to smaller, more boutique wineries we would not have discovered on our own. From a practical perspective, having a driver was helpful given the purpose of the trip...hire John and you'll be so happy you did!

Sherry-Linn, Owner at Wine Escapes - Exclusive Cellar & Vineyard Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind review! South Africa is full of hidden gems just waiting to be discovered, it was our pleasure to introduce you to some of them. Hope to see you again when you are back in our amazing country, to discover more!