“Still superb”
Review of SW1 Lodge

SW1 Lodge
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Last visit was in summer 2011. It was so lovely that we stayed twice, the second time for one month! It is so convenient for everything....restaurants,shopping, the beach, the wineries, fact everything. Some friends visited and used the spa which they highly praised. Staff were wonderful. This time we are here in the cold of winter/ spring. It is a beautiful and tranquil setting, superb for R&R. The Staff are friendly, courteous and very helpful. To us it feels like coming home and we don't want to leave. In fact we will be back in the summer. I always leave,feeling my batteries have been recharged. A wonderful place to stay.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Terri C, Owner at SW1 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Wildrovr

The response you have posted on this your 3rd visit to SW1 is the reason why, we in the very provocative hospitality industry, remain committed to what we do. Your warm and positive review is so heartening and will be incredibly appreciated by Tobie and his staff. It means a tremendous amount to me to hear that the SW1 team have proven themselves not once, not twice, BUT THREE TIMES to you! You have had time on each occasion to test our abilities and I am very proud that we have passed so well!!

THANK YOU!

We look forward to your 4th visit back with us :)

Warm regards

Terri

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I want to thank Terri and her staff for organising my wife's fabulous 50th birthday last night. The venue was amazing from decor to food and hospitality. We had 30 guests which for the size of the venue was perfect and everyone had a great time. We had a few rooms booked overnight as well and the bedrooms and venue truly 5 star. Highly recommended for small events or even a couple of nights ' stopover' when you are in the Cape.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank David R
Terri C, Owner at SW1 Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear David and Carol

WOW! Thank you so very much for such a positive review on Carol's 50th at SW1 and you stayover with us. It was an absolute pleasure to host this special occasion for you! We thoroughly enjoyed making the Great Lapa glam for you and your guests. And I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the food! Tobie, Chef Os, Moira, Sharlene, Jay and the SW1 team put their all into the occasion and I'm really chuffed that their efforts have impressed you.

Please come and visit when you're next here from Joey's. And hoepfully next time the weather will be better....

Warm wishes

Terri

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Beautiful spacious rooms. Ultimate luxury. Very beautiful and elegant. Loved to room. Only one negative point. The staff arent too friendly. The person on night shift didnt make us feel very welcome. And everytime we asked for some assistance with lighting the fire or helping us order takeout or shampagne he either couldnt help us or just made us feel like it is so much trouble to be bothered that we just decided to do it ourselves. Love the ambience of the place, the setting, the elegance. But a bit of staff etiket and performance training would go a long way.

Room Tip: Ask for Tsala tsala. Ample space and luxury. And beautiful decor.
1  Thank Marius N

Dear Marius

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to SW1

We appreciate your compliments about the decor and ambience. We agree that SW1 is a very speciallace with a unique feel.

It is most concerning to hear that you experienced an unhelpful staff member. Our promise is to go beyond what's expected and I'm sorry that this did not happen in your case. I would appreciate it if you could provide details of your stay - date etc and if possible, the name or description of the staff member who was on duty on the night in question. We will take the necessary action to ensure this poor service is eliminated.

We do hope you will return to SW1 again soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the SW1 Lodge for 2 nights. What a disaster on every level!!! Firstly this establishment is DEFINATELY not 5 star. The weekend we went was freezing cold and the room's air-con/heating unit was broken, the panel heater didn't work either. We finally managed to organise wood for the fireplace in the room. Unfortunately it smoked us out most of the week-end.... They tried to charge us for it.... The bedding was not clean and we had to change the bedding ourselves!! The electricity went out which was not the establishments fault, however it added to the 'nightmare' of the weekend. I always take candles on weekends away & luckily I had a box of matches which the establishment loaned and never returned as they never had any to light the other guests candles!!!! Not a big deal but I'm just trying to make a point here! The wine glasses in the room cabinet were filthy! Their must have been a pool motor on the otherside of our bed as it hummed all night keeping us awake, the door to the room we were in had a glass inlay, so the lights from the reception area shone in all night & the noise from reception could be heard in our room!!!! We could hear guests arriving/departing. For a honeymoon suite, this is a joke. It has no privacy, the windows overlook the carpark and entrance to the establishment! The breakfast was disgusting to say the least. They stipulate items and when we arrived they were not on the table nor replenished. The bread rolls were stale and at least 2 days old and there were no croissants. On arriving home our suitcases were full of fishmoths!!!! To add the final insult to injury we were sent a bill of R600 for spa treatments telling us to pay asap when we never even had spa treatments!!!! This establishment is seriously mismanaged and very misleading from the website. The night staff/security were great & very helpful, I can't fault them. All in all a dismal excuse for a guesthouse.

Room Tip: Definately a room further back in the establishment near the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SammyKim

Dear SammyKim

I have read your review of SW1 with disappointment and great surprise. You came to us as a Daddy's Deals client and the e-mail contact prior to your arrival seemed efficient and courteous. I have met with every member of staff you did and may have come into contact with during your stay. I have also contacted other guests who were at my establishment at the same time as you and when we experienced the unavoidable lengthy power failure. Except for your complaint we had only very satisfied guests. This can also be verified by looking at our Guest Comment book for the weekend in question.

We accept full responsibility for the fact that our generator batteries were in for re-conditioning as this power failure was a regional one and not a load shedding event that we were given notice of. We were caught on the back foot with the length of the power outage and we have now taken measures to ensure our contingencies are in place.

However, it seems that whilst there is definitely room for improvement from our side, it seems that very little could be done to please you and that you were adamant to find fault with even the smallest thing. Our rooms are known to be highly superior and our amenties also. I am sorry that you were not impressed by either. Every staff member interrogated by me said that you arrived with a bad impression of SW1 and that trying to please you made them nervous as you were quite hostile.

I do not want to defend every point you make as we have taken on the chin the points that are valid but have chosen to let go of the points that are unfounded or grossly exaggerated - such as the remark you make about making your own bed. This I can categorically say is not true. Desmond was making your bed for you after you insisted that the clean linen wasn't clean enough and you told him to stop making it and that you preferred to do it yourself.

We have earned our 5 stars through the consistent application of high standards and going beyond what's expected. We have recently been re-evaluated by the Grading Council on their more stringent grading rules and we passed with flying colours. We are 5 star and we are proud of it. We kniow that we must always be on the alert to respond receptively to constructive feedback as this is how we can continually improve on our offering. But we also are aware that we cannot please everyone 100% of the time despite our commitment to try to do so.

We accept your decison not to return to SW1 and find it regretful but understandable. We wish you all the best with your future travels.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We presented a workshop at the lovely SW1 and was very impressed with the lovely setting providing privacy to all the rooms. The friendly staff and management made us feel at home and assisted with all our requests. The meals were more than adequate and stocked coffee station was welcome over the cold weekend.

Room Tip: Loved quite setting of Thula Thula room.
2  Thank Celdri3

Dear Celdri

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor after your conference weekend at SW1.

It is heartening to know that you enjoyed your stay and the service the staff provided.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm wishes to you.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

This was ECHO'S 5th year @ SW1 and it was brillant. The management and staff were friendly, efficant and extremly helpful. The food was excellant.We were all warmly welcomed and nothing was too much trouble. Tobie was magnificant and checked regularily that everything was runnig to our satisfaction. we will definately return and highly recommend SW1 for conferances or even as a holiday base in the Wine Lands.
Des McLeod
ECHO

2  Thank Des M

Dear Des

It was our absolute pleasure to have the Echo Group return to SW1 5 years in a row! I am extremely delighted to learn that you had a wonderful time and a productive workshop.

Tobie is totally service oriented and I am very pleased that his attention to detail and work ethic has been noted by you and the workshop participants.

Your delegates were charming and we really appreciate all the individual messages of thanks they have sent us.

We look forward to having you return again!!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We spent one night there and we very excited. It is a beautiful lodge. Our room was very nice, nothing spectacular. Spa was very average though. I was not at all impressed with the continental breakfast they had on offer, especially for a five start lodge. There was hardly anything and the stuff they had was very average. I just don't think it's worth what the amount of money that you spend, and I definitely do not think it is a 5 star. I will not be returning to SW1. The restaurant JennaVIVA which is connected to the lodge is really amazing though, we had a good time there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JDSouthAfrica

Dear JD

I am very concerned to hear that we failed to deliver on our promise of a great guest experience.

In order for me to properly look into this matter please could you furnish me with details of your stay - dates, room etc and let me have any specifics we can investigate and attend to.

I also own JennaVIVA and the experience you had there is indicative of the experience you should have had at SW1.

I would like to put right wahtever went wrong and would appreciate your help with doing so.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.