“Very average...”

SW1 Lodge
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Very average...”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We spent one night there and we very excited. It is a beautiful lodge. Our room was very nice, nothing spectacular. Spa was very average though. I was not at all impressed with the continental breakfast they had on offer, especially for a five start lodge. There was hardly anything and the stuff they had was very average. I just don't think it's worth what the amount of money that you spend, and I definitely do not think it is a 5 star. I will not be returning to SW1. The restaurant JennaVIVA which is connected to the lodge is really amazing though, we had a good time there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JDSouthAfrica
Dear JD

I am very concerned to hear that we failed to deliver on our promise of a great guest experience.

In order for me to properly look into this matter please could you furnish me with details of your stay - dates, room etc and let me have any specifics we can investigate and attend to.

I also own JennaVIVA and the experience you had there is indicative of the experience you should have had at SW1.

I would like to put right wahtever went wrong and would appreciate your help with doing so.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Somerset West
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were looking for a cosy (fireplace) ambiance with stylish decor for a birthday party. That was exactly what we got, but then came the friendly, well organised and excellent service from staff and managers and it just went over the top for us!! They did everything for us, we just had to arrive and party.

Tobie, Ren and Terri thank you so much for making this an memorable event. It was really special thanks to all of you.

To Bea at the Spa, thank you so much for all the special attention you gave my mom. She mentioned that the standards there is very high and that the treatment was magnificent.

I can only say: Wow, Wow and wow!!

Room Tip: I cannot add a tip to choose a room, because the room I saw, I thought was the honeymoon suite, but...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Maretha R
Dear M

WOW to you too!!! What a wonderful compliment to receive! Thank you for taking the time to post it.

We are all thrilled that you and your friends had such a good time and that we 'hit the mark' with everything we did. You were an absolute pleasure to deal with and the staff say it was there pleasure to assist you in any way they could.

Thank you also for the great remarks about our decor. It makes all the effort worthwhile.

We hope to see you again soon!
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

An aunt and I stayed at SW1 lodge from 26 June till 6 July 2012. All I can say is that it was a wonderful experience. We arrived exhausted after 2 days of driving in a cold rainy late afternoon. We were received by all the friendly management and staff. SW1 have so much heart, warmth and style. Great service and breakfast!!! The location was great we did a lot of sightseeing in and around Somerset West. I will definitely stay at SW1 if I visit South Africa again. Thank you for a wonderful experience!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Suzette S
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My partner and I spent the night at SW1 lodge, under Toby's care out of the blue. It was a groupon special - and boy were we pleased. A great room, with a sumptious bath, an exquisite massage and then down the road for a fabulous dinner. The restaurant is also owned by the same people. Not surprising. The attention to detail was amazing.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mozzy9
Dear Mozzy

A big thank you to you for the review posted recently. I am so pleased that you had a good experience at SW1 AND JennaVIVA
We hope you will return to us soon.

Warm regards

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed June 26, 2012

What more can you want from a Lodge? It has everything!!

I have travelled many times in my career and have never come across a place with so much heart, warmth and style.

Tobie, who I contacted when I was looking for a temporary home was quick, professional and negotiable to my plea. I met all the staff and was welcomed so well, it will be hard to leave after three awesome days here.

You can feel God's peace is here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Laura T
, Owner at SW1 Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Laura

I am thrilled with the opinion you have of SW1 and it's staff! Ren, Tobie and the SW1 team will be thrilled to read your review. This is what makes their efforts worthwhile.

Thank you for choosing to stay at SW1 and for taking the time to post your comments. I do hope we will see you again soon.

Warm Regards

Johannesburg
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My wife and I got married in Stellenbosch in November 2011. We decided to rent out all of the rooms at SW1 for our family and some members of our wedding party. This is the best decision we made as we really enjoyed the intimacy of the property as well as the freedom to move about as we pleased. If you have a very large party, I highly recommend renting out the whole place. Suffice it to say that we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The manager (Debbie) was superb. She was always available to attend to our needs and helped us organize sightseeing trips as well as dinners at a wonderful local restaurant. Each room at SW1 had its own unique character and charm.

I recently read a review about racism at SW1, which was not consistent with our experience. Our party of 20 people was largely black (save my white "uncle") of different nationalities (Nigerian, American, South African, and Basotho from Lesotho) and we were treated with the utmost hospitality and respect.

SW1 is great value for money and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Ugwunna
, Owner at SW1 Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Ugwunna

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post a review on Trip Advisor. We are so pleased about your opinion of us and that you had such a wonderful time when you stayed at SW1. I remember you and your group very well. I recall how positive and enthusiastic you all were. It was a pleasure having you as our guests.

You spoke about returning to SA sometime again soon and I hope it will also be to SW1 :)

Till then I wish you all the best.

Warm Regards

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Warm sunshine filled my beautiful room all day long. It was a good reflection of the attitude of the well trained staff; friendly, caring, but always very professional.
Recommended by Dr Toogood’s Somerset Aesthetic Surgery, I stayed a fortnight at SW1, recovering after a major operation following the diagnosis of cancer. In fourteen days’ time, one can really see whether an establishment can live up to the nice words and pictures in the brochure! All I can say is that the pictures and words on the SW1 website can truly be trusted! It is a true reflection of the gorgeous place! Add to this the wonderful ambiance of wood fires burning, interesting coffee table books, large white serviettes, good coffee brewing, the nosy peacock bird outside your window and who need ask for more?
Meals were served in my room. The courtesy van delivered me gingerly in time for follow up appointments at the Surgery. Laundry was taken care of. SW1 is the perfect hideaway, but also home away from home where my friends and family could visit me in style and comfort.
This record of my most enjoyable stay at SW1 is but a poor attempt at expressing my deep gratitude towards Ren, Tobie and their fantastic team.
Thank you to every one of you!
M Venter
Gauteng

Room Tip: Lala Kahle is so private with own kitchen, little garden and porch, it will be like your own apartme...
Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Mari V
Terri C, Owner at SW1 Lodge, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Mrs Venter

Although we have never met I feel like I know you! The staff were always so full of praise for you and the dignity and bravery you have shown with dealing with your terrible illness.

Thank you for the wonderfully worded card you left for the SW1 team - it meant a great deal to them. Thank you also for your incredible words of praise on this Trip Advisor site. We all feel very buoyed to know that our sincerity and love for what we do and what we stand for has been so positively noted. This is even more pronounced given all the stresses you have facing you. It is indeed appreciated. All staff will be advised of the wonderful praise you have given them.

I was often at SW1 but unfortunately when you were at the doctor or sleeping but Tobie kept me informed of your progress each and every day. He has a huge 'soft spot' for you and he was quite emotional when you left. He speaks of you often.

I hope that every day there is improvement with your health. You have an amazing support system in your husband and family.

Please come and stay or visit when next you are in the Cape.

Warm regards
PS Your orchid is proudly on display at SW1 :)