“Family Getaway”

Ranked #5 of 12 Sedgefield B&B and Inns
Ocean View, Western Cape, South Africa
“Family Getaway”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I just came back from my third visit to Pine Lake Marina. Things have changed a little bit. Some good and some bad. The good: the shop is upgraded. The bad: no channels to keep kids entertained at night.(Disney channel etc). We were excited to use the new heated pool but was disappointed , to find that the heat pump was not working. The units have everything that is needed. I love the laundrey. No dirty clothes when you get home. The thing that really make me come back is the freedom the kids have at the resort......

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank qwjk
PineLakeMarina, Company Representative at Pine Lake Marina, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Hi There,

We are glad you came to visit us and that your kids had a wonderful time, we try to keep them as occupied as possible.

We are having a look at the children's channel issue at the moment, since it has been raised a few times. We have started negotiations with DSTV about the matter and a lot will depend on what can be arranged with them.

We sincerely appologise about the heated pool situation. Our supplier let us down big time, we had already paid for the extra heat pump to be added, but he took his time and caused a lot of unnecessary agrevation. Luckily the matter has now been resolved and everyting is working well.

We look forward to your next visit!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Cape Town
Reviewed June 17, 2011

My wife and I needed a break after a long holiday season and drove here for a couple of nights in mid/late February. It was off season so it was quite quiet. The room was excellent, with everything we needed. There was lots to do (water activities on the lake, a pool) and our room was well equipped for self catering as well (we cooked a couple of our meals on site).

The value was superb as well -- we expected much less for the price we paid.

We'd definitely go back, given the opportunity.

Room Tip: It's much quieter in the off season.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mbjonesan
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 19, 2011

My wife and I are from New Zealand and visited my father in SA for Christmas. As a gift he took us to Pine Lake Marina for 5 days and 4 nights. I feel awful for him having spent all that money. The experience was crap. We had a unit over looking the lake by the pool, unit 911 i think. This is why:
The unit was not clean, with dirty in the bathroom. It was so noisy the "local" have no clue on how to behave themselves with kids screaming and running and mothers shouting instructions to the offspring from way on the other side of the pool yard. The pool was infested with jumping and cannon balling kids so us as adults had no chance to enjoy or cool off in the African heat. And this continued till 2am in the morning !!!!. Not a sign in site telling people to respect other peoples rights for enjoyment. The site is beautiful but the people ruin it totally because they have no idea on how to behave.
We wanted to use the boats .... the room documentation said the boat shed closes at 7pm, we went down at 5pm and were told "we are closed", I rang reception they were totally apathetic didn't apologize for the error again just rubbish service. In general we found service in SA to be lousy with badly trained staff. So in a nutshell in never return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank AndrewSaxby11
PineLakeMarina, Manager at Pine Lake Marina, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
We appologize that you did not enjoy your trip to South Africa and in particular with us. We try to keep our guests happy at all times. Some of your complaints are however out of our control, like the noise from kids - we are a family orientated resort and as such we hope the kids have a great time.

The Piazza is an over 18's only area where adults can relax by the pool and enjoy a beer/ cocktail from the bar without interruption from children. The rest of the resort is accessible by anyone.

If the bathrooms were not up to scratch we hope you reported the matter quickly, so that we could've sent someone out to remedy it a.s.a.p - please provide feedback on this point.

We took over the resort in February and have done a significant amount of work on the resort - starting with the public areas. We upgraded the restaurant, built a conferencing facility, built the Piazza with improved gym, shop and bar facilities; installed irrigation, installed a Reverse Osmosis Plant, with fresh water to all the units, installed DSTV in each unit, built a parking lot, upgraded reception.... Our next priority is to systematically refurbish the individual units.

While there will always be hiccups we greatly appreciate feedback so that we can improve various areas and think of new ways of improving your holiday experience.

We look forward to seeing you here again if possible.

Regards,

Pine Lake Marina management
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay here. Okay there was the wind, but one cant place the place for that! The lake proved to be a lot of fun, especially the little paddle boats, that was great fun. Waking up in the morning and having tea with the guinea fowl right in fron of the door was really great. Worth its money, and a great place to chill and have a break.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank zakuuumiii
Cape Town
Reviewed December 24, 2010

This was my wife's first third visit to Pine Lake Marina and my first. My wife convinced me to take us with our young nine month old baby to Pine Lake for a family holiday.

After hearing her stories of great holidays spent there by her, I was looking quite forward to my relaxing time away with the great resort and facilities.

I was impressed with the resort facilities and the location. We arrived there finding our unit a bit dusty, but thought not too much of it, since it had been raining. We found a couple of ants inside the unit as well, but swept out the place and packed out.

By the next morning the rain has cleared up, but the ants haven't. I went to the front desk to report it. I mentioned to them that the door had a bit of a gap in it as well, and I suspect the ants might be coming in through it. She said they will have a look into it.

After spending the morning at the beach we came back to our unit for lunch, only to discover that there were ants everywhere and over our food. I was disgusted. No one had come to inspect the issue. I found a staff member and reported it to them. After a while they brought me a insect spray for the ants. I was appalled. I wasn't going to spray the room with insect spray when my little one is crawling around. Also I felt that it wasn't my issue to sort out.

To make a long story short, I reported the issue to the front desk again. They came to clean the unit, but never took care of the problem. After moving furniture to clean the unit a bit more I discovered dirt, dead ants and insects. I spent my mornings and evenings sweeping out ants and I must admit the best part of my holiday was leaving Pine Lake.

I am totally dissappointed and would not go again. My wife admits that the quality of service definitely went down, since its under new ownership.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Dewald1982
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed June 24, 2010

We seldom holiday with other people but for our stay at Pine Lake Marina we (2 adults, 1 toddler) joined two other couples and 1 couple had a kid.

We stayed in a 3 roomed cottage. It was very spacious and clean. The beds were made up daily and the place cleaned so we were able to truly enjoy our stay without the effort of cleaning up.

The facilities are perfect for families and there's something for everyone.

Games, Tennis, water-sports and many other sporty activities.

I thoroughly enjoyed the week we spent at Pine Lake Marina and would love to return.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank TheAbduls
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedgefield
Lakeside Lodge & Spa
#2 of 12 in Sedgefield
Lake Pleasant Living
Lake Pleasant Living
#3 of 21 in Sedgefield

Been to Pine Lake Marina? Share your experiences!