“Comfort, Value and Small Town Charm”
Review of Pelican Lodge

Pelican Lodge
Ranked #2 of 12 Sedgefield B&B and Inns
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
“Comfort, Value and Small Town Charm”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We recently had the pleasure of staying at Pelican Lodge in Sedgefield. From the moment that we submitted an enquiry on the website, owner and host, Ian Perryman responded promptly in a professional and efficient manner.

Booking and confirmation was seamless, and when we arrived after a 15 hour drive from Durban, we were warmly welcomed by Ian.

The room was very comfortable, with sufficient cupboard space, keypad safe, modern bathroom, comfortable bed and our own balcony with a view of the forest and Sedgefield. The room has a coffee / tea station, and the most divine home-made rusks.

Breakfast was a delight. We chose a table outside, and sitting comfortably under the generous umbrellas, we enjoyed a mouth-watering breakfast, made from fresh, quality ingredients. The staff are friendly and make you feel right at home in the beautiful surroundings Pelican has to offer.

Pelican Lodge also supports local community upliftment programs, such as mosaic workshops and career guidance & education of the scholars of a nearby settlement.

The lodge is located 5 minutes drive away from the lagoon, river mouth & beach.

Nestled between Knysna and George, we were able to enjoy the best of both areas. We took short daytrips, and the abundance of activities, markets, beaches and restaurants kept us busy all day long. Areas that we visited: Tsitsikama Forest, Storms River, Knysna, Buffalo Bay, Wilderness, Dolphin Point, George, Glentana, Klein Brak, Mosselbay.

Ian was a fantastic host, with great attention paid to detail (one evening it was raining, so we decided to watch movies in the room, and Ian delivered fresh popcorn for us to enjoy while watching the movie)

Our stay was a real pleasure, and we look forward to returning in December 2013!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Johan S
LB1976, General Manager at Pelican Lodge, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about Pelican Lodge, and taking the time to write what reads like a magazine article for Pelican Lodge and Sedgefield.

After searching through many accommodation places before you finally found Pelican Lodge, I'm so glad you selected us, and the experience you had from start to finish was a pleasant one. I'm chuffed that both of you enjoyed your holiday and returned home with your batteries recharged. It's not long and December 2013 will be here.

I look forward to welcoming you both back soonest

Kind regards
Ian Perryman
Pelican Lodge Guesthouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toledo
Reviewed April 24, 2012

This lodge, 4* quality masquerading as a 3*, is a delight. The resident owner, Ian and his wife, will give you a very warm welcome. The rooms are large and well-equipped, the showers strong and the breakfasts fantastic (yummy home-cooked muffins). It has the advantage of being opposite a great pub - the Sedgefield Arms. Greatly recommended. If you stay on a Friday night check out the Sedgfield Market the next morning - allow yourself plenty of time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rph9999
LB1976, General Manager at Pelican Lodge, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Thank you for posting your review, it's so lovely when Guests connect with us and the Guesthouse, and truly enjoy their experience.

My Friend Rosie will chuckle when I tell her we're married, and it seems our team work really shows our true unity.

We always look forward to welcoming a friendly face and hope you will return to our home in the not to distant future.

Kind Regards
Ian Perryman
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I was on tour with my group and they were booked in at the Lake Pleasant Hotel, and as we dont, as guide, normally stay at the same hotel, we are accomodated at one of the local guesthouses in the area.
When i arrived at the Guest house i was warmly greeted by the manager and shown my room. it was a very comfortable room with a TV + dvd player, coffee and tea and a small fridge which is very handy.
Now across the road from the guest house is a restuarant called the Sedgefield arms, which served a good plate of food with friendly service.
All in all it was a very pleasant stay and i recommend it to any traveller needing a comfortable place to stay.

Room Tip: For wheelchair bound people there is a room set up for them
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew L
Cape Town
Reviewed December 20, 2010

I’m a journalist at the Sunday newspaper Rapport. My life is hectic, it’s fast-paced and stressful. When you want to go on a little break, the main things you want are a quiet time, nice faces around and great service. A little home away from away - minus the stress - of course. My partner and I found this at the Pelican Lodge. A cosy B & B that made me feel at home. The staff were friendly and helpful. The food was divine and everything was just in place. Everything was on time and done the correct way. The only thing I disliked about the weekend away was coming home! Next time I’m stressing about a deadline, I’ll just think back to sitting on your terrace, breathing in fresh air, and enjoying the lovely scenery.
Ps. I loved the tranquility of the B & B, but I’m still a city slicker, so I kind of enjoy my luxuries. Pelican Lodge knows how to blend the city life with small town luxuries. The bed was massive and flat screen TV huge. Sedgefield is an amazing holiday destination, but for the most part of the weekend, I felt obliged to take in the luxuries at the B & B and just enjoy myself in the room.
Thank you Pelican Lodge for showing me the lighter side of life, and that somewhere in this crazy world, called journalism, there's still a little place of restfulness and a taste for the finer things in life.
Lekker en onvergeetlik!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChendricksRapport
Cape Town
Reviewed October 22, 2010

My husband and I came from Belgium to Sedgefield for about 2 months while visiting our daughter and grandchildren. We stayed in a self catering unit and it really was 'home away from home'. We had our sundowners on our own little patio, we walked to the nearby shops, sat by the pool and relaxed etc. Ian, Pat and Chris were friendly and very helpful. We parted as friends!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nicolemeyer05
Wurzburg, Germany
Reviewed October 18, 2010

I am a regular traveller and I enjoy shaking of the stress of the Big city Life by jumping in my car and making the 4 hour trip on the N2 from Cape Town to Sedgefield, my favourite stopover is Pelican Lodge. Tranquillity and peace comes to mind when describing Pelican Lodge to my friends and family, the guest house offers spacious rooms as well self catering units, on my last visit I got a room named Donald, a spacious room with a big screen TV and best of all a balcony which I used to touch up my tan. The breakfast is really great and Ian the owner and manager always takes care to have some freshly baked muffins to enjoy with coffee. The guest house has a lovely garden and a pool to enjoy on those hot days when you don’t feel like going to the beach. If you feel like having a braai(barbeque) ask Ian and he will arrange this for you. My next holiday will be this December and I have already booked with Pelican Lodge.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed October 10, 2010

I needed to spend a couple of days in Sedgefield to sort out some business. I was presently suprised by the cleanliness, friendliness, and general ambience. The food was great and I slept like a log in the comfortable beds. It is very conveniantly situated, close to the beach, and to the shops (walking distance). It has a lovely pool if you dont feel like the beach in a surrounded by gorgeous flowers and trees and a place to braai if you are up to it. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedgefield
Knysna Hollow Country Estate
#8 of 20 in Sedgefield
Afrovibe Beach House
Afrovibe Beach House
#5 of 12 in Sedgefield

Been to Pelican Lodge? Share your experiences!