Teniqua Treetops
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewstree housethe riverindigenous forestunique experiencegorge viewknysna loeriecreepy crawliesrock poolsforest walknature loversour honeymoonmagical placehiking trailsperchon stiltselectric blanketsgarden route
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 6, 2012

On arrival at Teniqua Treetops we were a little unsure about it as the long drive from the N2 seemed to go on forever, and as nice as the people checking us in were, the lounge and other communal areas seemed a little tired and eccentric for the price we were paying for the accommodation. It seemed nice and homely but not quite as luxurious as we were anticipating.

We were escorted to our treehouse (Moon over Milkwood) by the golf buggy and from the minute I arrived at the treehouse I fell in love with it. It is exceptionally well designed from practical and aesthetic perspective. The kitchen is a perfect size for two to cook together, and the fully handmade drawers and shelves are beautiful. The bedroom is sumptuous and homely, whilst being exposed on many sides to the beautiful view. But the lounge was my favourite, cosy and inviting. The different levels of the verandah just begged to be sat out on for breakfast, lunch and sundowners.

It was so lovely there that we decided there and then not to head back into Knysna the next day as we had planned, but just to hang out at the treehouse for the day. It was that relaxing and peaceful. In fact after unloading the car, I didn't even leave the treehouse for the whole of my stay and didn't feel cramped or hemmed in at all. My husband went for a walk in the gorge and really enjoyed it (even the thigh deep river crossing - it had been exceptionally rainy for the previous week!). In sun and in cloud the treehouse was a perfect place to kick back and relax.

If I was just rating the treehouse, I would score it 5, but I didn't feel that the communal areas (which give you the first impression) matched the luxury of the treehouses and were a fair walk/drive away from our treehouse.

As an extra bit of feedback (this is not the reason for my score!) this might not be a place for those who are a little scared of spiders. I am not a great fan of creepy crawlies of any sort, but having camped in Australia, stayed in tents whilst on safari and seen my fair share of scary spiders before, I would not class myself as phobic and can easily cope with the "one or two" we anticipated to be visiting during our stay. My husband is far braver than I when it comes to the spiders and other creepy crawlies. We did not have much luck when we were staying - according to the guest book in our treehouse most people saw one or two spiders during their stay. Well, we experienced 12 by the time we left, and even if the rain spiders are harmless, they are HUGE, hairy and stripey. And they can get everywhere - we found them on our bath towels (as the hooks are outside), behind the tap in the kitchen, on the bathroom bin, crawling up the mosquito net, under the bed and on the walls and floors of the bedroom and lounge and so on. I would not want them to be banished, and understand that this is all part of the charm, but I wanted to let other people know about this in case they are a little squeamish so they can make their own minds up. In reality the treehouses are tents built on platforms with extra wooden areas built around the tent. The only area you can "spider proof" in Moon over Milkwood is the bedroom, which is in the tent section. But you need to walk through the tent to get from kitchen to lounge/verandah etc - and the seal is not 100% between the bedroom and the kitchen. The spiders usually started to appear around 4pm, and a mosquito net is provided which helps to prevent unwelcome encounters at night, but we (my husband!) had to remove the spiders each afternoon from the bedroom, and then we had to zip it up every time we went back and forth.This was so that I could sleep confident in the knowledge that the spiders would not crawl over me at night. So this kind of took away from the relaxing nature of the whole experience and I didn't sleep well at night due to a few spidery nightmares!

As I said, I recognise that this is their territory, and am not someone who would want them to be banished and I would not expect anything to be done about it. I also recognise that we were not as lucky as we had hoped as we got a lot more than we bargained for. But this experience does mean that as much as I love Teniqua Treetops and all the views, design features, luxury and cosiness, neither I nor my husband would be able to return - but I would recommend that anyone less squeamish than me definitely visits - you will not regret it!

Room Tip: Ask for one close the main section if you want to swim
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The Greenbeard cabbin at Teniqua Treetops was the best way to start our honeymoon. 5 days of tanquility and peace in a perfect setting. Loved the ego house and the best is the batch on the balcony - we had susi and champagne in the bath while it was raining... Lots to do in the surroundings also. It is a bit pricy for self catering but the forrest, setting and complete privacy and cleanliness makes up for it!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed in the "Moon over Milkwood" for 2 rainy, cold nights 5/6th October 2012. Even though we were essentially in a tent, it was one of the most luxurious beds I have ever slept in including the luxury of a hot blanket and enough other bedding to keep as snug and warm while we listened to the night sounds. The views across the gorge are magnificent and the total seclusion of each treehouse is really special. We just had to use the deck to have a braai even though the weather was not really conducive, we couldn't let that opportunity go waste. Thoroughly enjoyed our 2 nights there and are definately planning to return. If you plan to walk the trails, take a small fairy with you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveller55KT
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed in the Forest Elders treehouse 17/09/12-19/09/12 and had a wonderful experience. The tree houses have all the ammenities you need. The bedrooms are very comfortable with beds and linens better than many hotels. Comfort, stunning views, rigorous walks, plenty of wildlife. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The solar water system works great and the compost toilets are not a problem at all. Be sure to bring wine to enjoy on your decks in the evening. Perfect for couples, small groups, families.

It is an easy drive to Sedgefield, Knysna and Plettenberg Bay. Stop by the gorgeous beach in Sedgefield and enjoy wood fired pizza at Pilli Pilli Beach club onthesand.

With regard to wildlife (spiders and all) you will mostly see and hear a huge variety of birds. The horses on the property are very friendly. I am petrified of spiders and we did have a large rain spider living in the open air bathroom. But once we located her and were reassured she had no interest in sneaking around the place I didn't have any problems. If you are worried about any bugs etc. visiting Forest Elders is a good option because the living area is enclosed and the bedrooms are as enclosed or open as you like.

I highly recommend a stay here if you are traveling the garden route.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Absolutely loved this place, visiting twice in the last year, first with my parents and again with my partner more recently.

Both times we stayed in Forest Elders, which has fairly easy access and is quite spacious with two double rooms and an indoor kitchen and lounge area. The tents are great, both times I've stayed its been in the colder months, but heaters and electric blankets are supplied which ensure a cosy night.

The tents are well appointed with utensils etc in the kitchen, and the welcome pack with filter coffee, tea, milk and a few chocolates was a lovely touch. There was a weber which we made use of every night if I'm honest, as you just can't beat sitting out on the deck in the peace of the forest.

This is a truly memorable place and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The management are helpful and attentive and facilities are top class for this type of establishment.

That said if you don't like creepy crawlies, outdoor bathrooms or the whole rustic/eco approach, you may want to think twice. However if you're open to appreciate it for what it is you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family