Teniqua Treetops
$139
$126
Blackwaters River Lodge(Knysna)(Great Value!)
$119
$113
Agoda.com
$137
$128
Travelocity
The Wilderness Hotel(Wilderness)(Great Value!)
$68
$95
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstree housethe riverindigenous forestunique experiencegorge viewknysna loeriecreepy crawliesrock poolsforest walknature loversour honeymoonmagical placehiking trailsperchon stiltselectric blanketsgarden route
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed in the "Moon over Milkwood" for 2 rainy, cold nights 5/6th October 2012. Even though we were essentially in a tent, it was one of the most luxurious beds I have ever slept in including the luxury of a hot blanket and enough other bedding to keep as snug and warm while we listened to the night sounds. The views across the gorge are magnificent and the total seclusion of each treehouse is really special. We just had to use the deck to have a braai even though the weather was not really conducive, we couldn't let that opportunity go waste. Thoroughly enjoyed our 2 nights there and are definately planning to return. If you plan to walk the trails, take a small fairy with you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveller55KT
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed in the Forest Elders treehouse 17/09/12-19/09/12 and had a wonderful experience. The tree houses have all the ammenities you need. The bedrooms are very comfortable with beds and linens better than many hotels. Comfort, stunning views, rigorous walks, plenty of wildlife. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The solar water system works great and the compost toilets are not a problem at all. Be sure to bring wine to enjoy on your decks in the evening. Perfect for couples, small groups, families.

It is an easy drive to Sedgefield, Knysna and Plettenberg Bay. Stop by the gorgeous beach in Sedgefield and enjoy wood fired pizza at Pilli Pilli Beach club onthesand.

With regard to wildlife (spiders and all) you will mostly see and hear a huge variety of birds. The horses on the property are very friendly. I am petrified of spiders and we did have a large rain spider living in the open air bathroom. But once we located her and were reassured she had no interest in sneaking around the place I didn't have any problems. If you are worried about any bugs etc. visiting Forest Elders is a good option because the living area is enclosed and the bedrooms are as enclosed or open as you like.

I highly recommend a stay here if you are traveling the garden route.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Absolutely loved this place, visiting twice in the last year, first with my parents and again with my partner more recently.

Both times we stayed in Forest Elders, which has fairly easy access and is quite spacious with two double rooms and an indoor kitchen and lounge area. The tents are great, both times I've stayed its been in the colder months, but heaters and electric blankets are supplied which ensure a cosy night.

The tents are well appointed with utensils etc in the kitchen, and the welcome pack with filter coffee, tea, milk and a few chocolates was a lovely touch. There was a weber which we made use of every night if I'm honest, as you just can't beat sitting out on the deck in the peace of the forest.

This is a truly memorable place and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The management are helpful and attentive and facilities are top class for this type of establishment.

That said if you don't like creepy crawlies, outdoor bathrooms or the whole rustic/eco approach, you may want to think twice. However if you're open to appreciate it for what it is you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I picked this because I thought the kids would love to stay in a treehouse; it was definitely the right decision. The treehouse was a series of tents on a platform in the indigenous forest. Ours had two "bedrooms" separated by the (fully equipped) kitchen and dining area. All modern conveniences in the treetops. The treehouses are far apart from each other, so you feel you have the forest to yourself. The reception area has a lounge with TV, library, games, swimming pool, and jacuzzi. Don't worry about the spiders unless you're a fly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank julyan s
Reviewed May 24, 2012

As a person that is really afraid of snakes and not very fond of spiders as well, I really questioned my sanity when we booked at Teniqua Treetops. I read other reviews and when I saw that no-one reported any spider/snake related deaths, I thought okay it can’t be that bad then. I really don’t regret letting my husband talk me into this visiting this place. Thank God we did not see any spiders or snakes the whole weekend (phew!). We were greeted warmly by the staff, pets and other people living on nearby farms. Robyn and Beatrice were also very helpful with advising us on what we could do while there. The scenery was absolutely breath-taking and peaceful. No picture can do the real view justice. I’m glad that I specifically asked for the Gorge View cottage, because I think it’s the only one with an indoor bath and shower. It was quite cold that weekend. It’s so quiet that we could hear the river (which was quite far below us) from our deck. The compost toilet outside on the deck took some getting used to, but what’s life without some adventure after all? I would definitely recommend the hiking trail, even if you’re not very fit (like me). It took us less than two hours to do the whole trail. Coming back up from the river is a bit steep, but other than that, it’s an amazingly scenic trail (especially the view from the North Lookout). The entertainment area also provides enough activities to ensure hours of fun. There’s a swimming pool, Jacuzzi, play park, darts, foosball, dvd’s, table tennis and more. Just writing this review brings a nostalgic tear to my eye.

Room Tip: If you want an indoor bath, opt for Gorge View.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple