“Understated Elegance”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I love this property and am never dissapointed when I visit. The staff are courteous and friendly, the bar and restaurant are small and elegant and the food is extremely well priced for the quality and presentation. The menu is small, offering fresh produce and changing daily. I decided to go the whole hog and ordered an Asian Duck Salad (R 70), which was the only dissapointment of the evening. It was beautifully presented and extremely tasty but in an effort to get it crispy it had been cooked for too long and parts of the sticky sauce had been charred which made for an unpleasant bitter taste in certain bites. I then had the Roast Pork Belly (R 145) which comes from a local organic farm and was the best pork I have ever tasted. I finished (just) with a Chocolate Pave (R 40) which was just large enough to sate my craving for some dark chocolate. Portions are not large, but they are sufficient if you want to experience the full dining experience and the multitude of flavours presented in each dish. The wine list is extensive and well priced. The service can sometimes be a bit basic as they often seem to be training staff, and I honestly have no problem with this in a small town such as Robertson.I cannot recommend the restaurant enough, and suggest that you enjoy a cocktail in the small bar with the amusee bouche snacks before you have dinner.

2  Thank Chandreroux
There are newer reviews for The Small Restaurant

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We went to Reuben's at The Robertson as a party of 8 for Father's day. It was a chilly winters day, but bright blue skies. We were staying at Karuma Cottages in Worcester. Although we were slightly late, our table was still waiting for us, and we settled into a glass of local Robertson Valley wine before the Father's Day menu took us through a 4-course lunch - with more wine. The food was some of the best I have tasted in the area, and we were all replete by the time lunch ended. There was a set menu that covered all taste buds, and the cost was competitive and good value. We stopped off at some of the local wine farms on the way there (that why we were a little late!) and again on the way back and brought home some beautiful red wines. Sadly they did not last very long before being opened and enjoyed!
The Robertson Hotel where Ruben's is located has beautiful Victorian architecture, and the new rooms look out over the pool. It is a place we will be looking to stay at some time! After our meal we wishes we were staying but routine work summoned us back to Cape Town!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We dined here as part of an overnight stay. The staff were really friendly and it is a great setting on the terrace on a lovely summers evening,
The food however was a mixed bag, my main course had to go back as the peppercorn sauce was reduced to the point of astringency. The GM to be fair then made a replacement sauce personally. The wedgies that came with both courses were actually small boiled potatoes that had spent minimal time in the oven, all in all this rated third of the three meals we are in Robertson, but first for location and friendly staff

1  Thank WineHighlander
Reviewed February 4, 2014

The Breakfasts are superb, a large choice of all aspects and all food is cooked to order, can't be beaten! The Evening menu is designed so that everyone can find dishes to suit them. Well cooked food, well presented and the Pork Belly is divine1 One tip, if asking for the steak, ask for one level rarer than you would normally ask for, they cook a little longer than normal European tastes. Otherwise, 5 star food and 5 star service. The staff at all levels are superb!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We reluctantly returned for dinner after receiving indifferent service on our last visit, after all in a place like Robertson the choice of restaurant is limited to two B&Bs run by Europeans or pile it high diners, certainly very happy we gave them another chance! The welcome and attention to detail delivered by Alanna and Nelson was warm and professional. The setting and style in the Restaurant is exceptional, however we visit all establishments mainly for the food, after I had tasted, savoured and taken in all the flavours in my Chilly Calamari I turned to my wife and said "it was worth coming for this alone", my main of rack of lamb was also brilliant.
To conclude this restaurant is an oasis in a desert, the prices are cheaper than Cape Town, the wine list does look expensive on the first read however they have excellent cheaper wines also, the service levels are back to first class and it's a beautiful place to relax, what more do you need on holiday! Definitely not to be missed when in Robertson.