“Really good food”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Really good food, pity the service can be slow at times, especially at lunch time on Sundays. Otherwise, I would highly recommend this restaurant, it is one of the best in the area.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

My S.A friends dubbed this place 'The Menu' rather than Bourbon Street. Why? Because the menu contained over 100 items. It definitely was an overload.
We all ordered draught Castle beer and vodka cocktails - drinks were fine and arrived promptly.
The food....where to start, the menu is huge and one does wonder how an establishment can have so many menu items and maintain an element of freshness.
First we ordered the jalapeno poppers which were great - it's hard to go wrong with deep fried peppers stuffed with cheese and served with sour cream. My partner and I have a good tolerance to chilli and my-oh-my they packed a good kick.
Our friends ordered the mussels - and sadly none of us liked it - the dish tasted like a cup of cream with a couple of small mussels thrown in the bottom for good measure. Definitely stay away from this!
Afterwards we ordered the calamari which was crumbed and cooked well, then the ostrich carpaccio which again I recommend skipping - the meat was not fresh. Afterwards my partner and I shared a pizza, the pizza was a generous size, filled with lots of toppings and was the best dish we ordered.
Bourbon Street seems to be the place where locals meet to catch up on the days events and share a beer and maybe even a snack. I recommend Bourbon street for large groups where the large menu may come in handy for people with differing tastes. I also recommend this establishment if you're merely after a beer and snack on a patio. If you're looking for quality, gourmet food you're best to try somewhere else.
The service was attentive and the venue was clean.

1  Thank kandy_hughes
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Vibe is awesome, food is great. We had the Rump steak with mussels and cheddar cheese and the 5 Crayfish tails at only R128... what a bargain. The drinks were also on special. Saved money and had n great great time... AND i charged my phone there... 5stars +

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Bourbon Street is a firm favourite with locals, and there is a reason for that. Consistant quality, reasonable prices, good service and a varied menu as well as a sushi bar in the middle of the Klein Karoo. I tempt friends here with promises of what I call 'designer sushi', things that you would not find on any Japanese sushi menu. This time it was difficult, as the friend lives in London and is a sushiholic and rather fussy, BUT he was so pleasantly surprised by the strange combinations that we went back the next day and ordered a platter (which was a good thing as we did the Klipdrift tasting after this and it was the perfect dessert option). We also tasted the Mussel pot which ended up being what I would call a Mussel Fondue pot, but not unpleasant after the initial shock, and also the Calamari tubes and heads. All good value and tasty. The inside of the restaurant is my favourite place, I can see the kitched, the food being prepared at the sushi bar, there are fans keeping it cool and it is tastefully decorated and the tables are nicely laid. I like these touches in something that is considered a 'local' eatery. Well worth the visit, even just for the 'designer' sushi and sake experience.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

This place was recommended to us, but it wasn't such a good experience. I ordered a glass of red wine, which was extremely warm. Even though it was a hot day, I had the idea they kept the bottles in a very warm place, which you shouldn't do. And putting ice cubes in red wine is not so tasteful. I had the Saltimbocca, which was a big portion with a large amount of cheese melted over. My husband had the braai platter, which was ok. We had a lot of nice dinner experiences in SA, but unfortunately this was not one of them...