“An absolute Jewel!”

Ranked #4 of 20 Prince Albert B&B and Inns
Cape Town, South Africa
“An absolute Jewel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

We arrived at Dennehof in the afternoon and were shown to our room which turned out to be half a house it was soo big, with a fireplace, kitchen equipped with all the necessary things, but with in keeping with the time period when this beautiful house/national monument was refurbished
Stunningly done out by Ria, the owner. Not missing a beat even down to having the history of the area and the house available in the "room" to read. Lovely dogs to greet you, garden out of this world with an abundance of bird life. Excellent breakfast the following day, cooked by the owner with loving care. Such a special place! I will always look back fondly on my experience there..Thank you Ria and Lindsay!

Room Tip: All the rooms looked great! Ours was in the main house area.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
freddiePrinceAlbert, Owner at Dennehof Karoo Guesthouse, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you so much for taking time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.It was our priveledge to have you stay with us,we like to think of all our guest as family and so very pleased you loved your stay.May you and your family have a fantastic year ahead and hope to see you soon back @ Dennehof!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed in the Wagonshed, which I think is also the honeymoon suite. A little ironic since I was there at the start of my solo road trip, but lovely nontheless.

The Wagonshed is actually a suite consisting of a lounge area, kitchenette, bedroom and en suite bathroom. Really nicely decorated, the word "Wow" went through my head when I saw it for the first time. Leading out from the lounge to a private patio and the lovely outdoor spa bath. That was loads of fun, it you stay there make sure you try it! Candles are supplied.

The bed was very comforable and with extra blankets as it was chilly in the evening. The mosquito net is not just decorative although it does add a romantic feel the the room. There is a lovely mexican fireplace in the lounge although I didn't get to use it, but I imagine it would be really good on those cold Karoo nights. The kitchenette was well stocked so you could have made a light supper if needed and there was a nicely stocked "honesty" bar fridge including some snacks.

The bathroom is fairly compact but works well. Only one at a time I would think if you were sharing.

I found the room a bit light in the morning, the curtains are fairly diaphonous and so I ended up putting some towels or blankets over those nearest to the bed in order to sleep past sunrise. I would have also liked somewhere to hang up some of my clothes as I was staying for more than a night. Other than that all was good.

The breakfast was great, far to much for my smaller appetite, but I tried my best!

The farm itself is well maintained, pretty to walk around and there are some nice quiet areas to sit and read or just enjoy the natural surroundings and various pets who like to come and say hello. An easy walk into Prince Albert itself but just outside of the main area to keep it quiet.

All in all I enjoyed my three nights there, it was a lovely way to start my holiday.

Room Tip: Wagonshed spacious so you can spend some time relaxing without falling over each other. Has a TV if...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lucy B
Thank you so much for your kind compliments, we really do appreciate all the feedback we get.I am pleased to tell you that the curtains has been changed from white to a darker heavier curtain and I am sure the light will stay outside .Although we dont have a cupboard for hanging clothes we made sure we do have enough hanging space now. Thank you once again for your feedback
Have a great year and we do hope to see you back @Dennehof.
Cornwall, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

We stayed at Dennehof for one night returning to Cape Town from Addo inland via Meiringskloof which was a spectacular drive. Dennehof provides very comfortable rooms in keeping with the restored antique gentility of Prince Albert. Short walk or drive into town for dinner. Breakfast taken in the garden was perfect. Strongly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Only stayed for 1 night as passing through but would have liked to stay longer. Accomodation full of character with lovely touches ,candles by your bathtub. Excellent breakfast and good reccomendation from owner for dinner.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

What a great stay!! BEAUTIFUL relaxed and very friendly and special.That is why we continue to return and return.The hosts deserve the success they obviously are achieving.We will return as satisfied 'friends' Breakfast just outstanding

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank David L
Oxford, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

I stayed here on the advice of some friends. It's on the outskirts of town but a short enough walk to the centre to find something to eat in the evening (where IS everybody???). It was a comfortable stay and the breakfast is superb.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

Dennehof is a beautifully renovated collection of historic farmhouses transformed into a small luxury hotel. OK, so Prince Albert is somewhat off the beaten track but the location is restful and the surroundings immensely enjoyable. Rooms are varied - we stayed in the Windmill room, one of the outhouses, which was a large old room with original brick thick walls and very atmospheric. Breakfast was splendid and served in a terrace across the driveway from the main house – the tables were set on a wooden dais over a stream with views across the fields to the mountains. An absolute delight. The small town has limited restaurants but we ate a good meal at The Gallery but clearly you need your own transport here. Good value for money at 860 Rand a night. Wifi reception is limited to certain areas of the hotel and unfortunately was unavailable in our room.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple