“Tranquil stay for my big day”
Review of The Tarragon

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hout Bay
The Tarragon
Ranked #3 of 59 Hout Bay B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Tranquil stay for my big day”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I really do recommend staying at The Tarragon. It was an amazing experience settling in a few days before my bid day(wedding) and high up on the mountain with a stunning view of Hout Bay. Surrounded by plenty of greenery and with the sound of a little stream/Kio pond next to our cottage made it even more peaceful. The cottage had everything we needed and more. Personal touches were made and received a warm welcome and farewell on the way to the chapel. It was a perfect place to getaway and to have that privacy and to be amongst nature. I chose The Tarragon to get away from all the hustle and bustle before my big day and stayed with my family for the last time as a Miss so the venue was perfect for us to bond as a family again and also to get ready with my bridesmaids on the wedding day. Plenty of room and space for all of us and even had a photoshoot done at The Tarragon as the grounds are so romantic and perfect backdrops for the photographer. A big thank you to Mark and his family again for accommodating us and making my wedding day so special.

Room Tip: The best cottage is the 3 bedroom cottage. It had a huge balcony but all of the cottages have a balc...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Candice V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed at the Tarragon for 2 nights in March 2012 and our only regret is that we didn´t stay longer. As the smaller cottages had all been booked already Mark and Julia very kindly upgraded us to the large Angelica cottage for the first night. We felt like kings in this huge and beautifully decorated cottage and especially enjoyed the large terrace. The second night we stayed in the Saffron cottage, which was smaller but also beautiful and very cosy. The terrace for this cottage is set back a little further from the gardens / pool which provided perfect privacy. The gardens, which are immaculately kept provided a haven of tranquility with lots of nice little corners and amazing views towards Hout Bay. Mark and Julia are the perfect hosts – never intruding but always on hand if you have any questions / need help organizing anything such as dinner reservations or a visit to the Township Imizamo Yethu (“our struggle”) at Hout Bay (we highly recommend it!). Thanks again to Mark, Julia and the friendly staff for making our stay just perfect. With such a beautiful and relaxing place to stay it was a struggle to drag ourselves away and get out and explore the surroundings.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tina L
Borculo, Gelderland, Netherlands
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I realy had a great time at the Tarragon. I stayed there for about 9 days and there is nothing to complain about. The location with the view is super and the housekeepinggirls were very nice to me and the cottage was perfect. The owner, Mark, was very helpful and given me great advice about things to do and not to do.

To sum up, until next year!

Koen Kornegoor
the Netherlands

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Koen K
Singapore
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We (2 kids, aged 10 & 8 and me) stayed at the Tarragon for 6 nights in June this year, and enjoyed every minute we had in the cottage. We stayed at the Angelica cottage, which had (much appreciated) floor heating, and more than enough room for the 3 of us - 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms (one with a tub, both had showers) and big kitchen and living/ dining area.

Mark, the owner, met us at the cottage when we arrived although our flight was delayed and we reached only near 9 pm. He gave us a short tour of the cottage and some advice on where/what to do in the Cape Town area. Midway through our stay, he also popped by to find out how we were doing, and gave some fantastic dining suggestions!

We loved everything about the cottage - the spaciousness, the view, the kitchen, the free wifi, the heating, and the housekeeping and laundry services. The houskeeping staff did a wonderful job of cleaning up and tidying up everyday, and when we had the privilege of meeting them on the premises, they were always friendly and had a smile on their faces. You could pay for laundry (R70 per load and delivered to us nicely pressed the next day), although there is a laundry room you can use on the premises too.

The kitchen was fully equipped and i could probably have whiipped up a nice 3 course dinner if I wanted. The dishwasher was a life saver, as was the microwave.

The premises were beautiful, peaceful and quiet. I didnt meet any other occupants of the Tarragon. I loved waking up to the view of the mountains and valley every morning, and wish that the weather had been better so i could have had an outdoor breakfast on the patio!

There was a small pool (which we didnt use because it was winter) and a nice playground for the kids to spend some time in. The Tarragon is also located in a convenient location - easy 20 - 25 minute drive to Cape Town and the attractions and the airport, and about an hour or so to Cape Point if you do it non-stop. Hout Bay with supermarkets and restaurants is about a 5-10 minute drive away.

The kids loved the cottage, and have already decided they want to stay there the next time they head back to Cape Town!

I have stayed in many self-catering apartments/cottages during my travels, and I have to say that the Tarragon is probably right up there at the top of my list. Book your stay at the Tarragon if you're headed to lovely Cape Town - you won't regret it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank banoffi
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Our staff at The Tarragon was absolutely perfect. The accommodation was exactly what we needed for our family (2 boys aged 9 &11) - large bedrooms, well appointed kitchen, so much outside area to roam and even a secret playground for them to explore.
Housekeeping was so good and we really appreciated the availability of the laundry and for a small fee, the laundry service.
Our stay was so peaceful that we felt like we had the place to ourselves. The Tarragon was the perfect base to explore the whole of Cape Town (our itineraries helped by other tripadvisor feedback is at http://theworldexplored.blogspot.com.au/). Mark had some fantastic recommendations for dinner spots that the whole family enjoyed. Thank you Mark for having us and all the help over email before we arrived.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ozfamily_10
Baltimore
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We returned to the Tarragon as a married couple, and my wife and I loved it again. It really is a home away from home for us. I typically stay at Urban Five Star hotels (really, five stars), but enjoy more quiet self accommodated and bed and breakfast feel places. Home - type amenities mean a lot to me, especially on vacation.
The Tarragon is that. It is not a sparkly white/metal/glass/silver stainless tower with room service, although it does have some of those type charms. But, it is a home, with an amazing view and an excellent "feel". It doesn't impress with it's over the top "why didn't I think of that", but it feels like you are in the home of someone you enjoy.
We have had the fortune of visiting twice during the "off" season - one benefit of being American instead of European I suppose, and so we didn't have kids about or enjoy the pool. But, if you do, this would be a nice place for them I imagine. What you do get as a 'young' couple is peace and solitude and a relaxing home feel.
If you enjoy a glass/bottle of wine, unwinding, conversation or a romantic home meal - this is the place. Many people will enjoy Camps Bay or downtown for more slick preparations, but if you want a place that makes you feel good to there - look no further.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MDTravelbmore
Reviewed April 29, 2012

The Tarragon really has got it all....and Mark and Julia have clearly put a lot of time and effort into thinking about what a travelling family needs. We were upgraded to Angelica, with three bedrooms and there was a huge amount of space for our family, with children aged 5,4 and 2.

The cottage was beautifully presented, with incredible views and plenty of safe outside space for the children to play. The pool was beautiful and the children loved the jungle gym in the woods.

Mark could not have been more helpful with tips on places to go and see, and nothing was too much trouble. Even the little things were thought of.....books, games, DVDs, travel plug adaptors and a very welcome bottle of bubbly in the fridge. We even managed a night out ourselves, thanks to the lovely babysitter Caroline.

We tried very hard to think of some way Tarragon could be improved, and failed to come up with anything at all....thank you so much for a fantastic stay and we hope to come back again soon, cannot recommend this place highly enough!

Room Tip: Angelica was lovely, although with steep steps down to the pool area, it might not suit a crawling b...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family