“Fantastic meat & excellent service a must go when in Hout Bay”
Review of Pescarne - CLOSED

Pescarne
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Pescarne... Engineering Food... Where passion for food and service still lives with pride. We consider ourselves a truly South African restaurant with a Spanish / Portuguese / Italian name... And as is suggested...We do both meat and seafood very well with the majority of our signature dishes proudly boasting these combinations. From our wild oysters to the homemade Amarula panacotta and every culinary delight between... Come and enjoy perfectly engineered food with subliminal service from the people who thrive on trying to make your experience a fantastically memorable one.
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic meat & excellent service a must go when in Hout Bay”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Herman the chef had worked with Gavin at the Hout Bay Butcher's grill about 10 years ago. Anyone who knows Hout Bay would know that grill was about the best meat you could have in the Cape Town area. Herman has done it again and today you can have excellent fish and even sushi which goes really well if you do a starter of sushi and then a nice steak. I suggest the filet, sirloin or even the tartar that is absolutely amazing. Only little improvement: I would like a bit more "advice" when it comes to wines. Part of the Butcher's gill amusement was that the waitpersons would literally give you a lecture on South African wines - that is somewhat missing at Pescarne. But it is a minor thing, if you know a bit about wines, you can select a good one from the good list yourself!

• Visited April 2014

leicester uk
“Poor.”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The web site is fab. The restaurant is tucked away in Hout Bay and from the outside looks top notch. The only thing however to come out of our evening was a charming waitress who really ought to look elsewhere for a job.
The starter was tempura prawn. Tasty but almost cold. It must have been out the oil for a good 5 mins before we were given it.
Mains. My wife had calamari in a variety of spices. It was boring. Rubbery calamari with no discernable coating. Had better in local pubs. I ordered a 500g rib eye steak. I cut into it-it was virtually cold. I could not eat it. I returned it to the kitchen and it then reappeared acceptably hot. By then the chips had gone. I only received fresh chips for the last mouthful of the meal. The steak was fine albeit i ended up eating alone as my wife had long finished. I also ordered mushrooms which were almost cold when they hit the table.
I can only assume the chef had taken the raw meat straight out of a fridge before putting it on the grill. It also came with a coating of what tasted like burnt sesame seeds. Horrid.
Bearing in mind we also ordered an expensive wine the evening was little short of a wipe out.
I also had a "pudding" which was a very watery pannacota albeit with a really tasty sauce of amarula.
This restaurant does not live up to its own hype. I hate posting negative reviews but was left with no choice. Interstingly at the end of the meal i completed an enquiry survey giving my e mail address and phone number. Had somebody bothered to call i would not have posted this review. They didnt.

Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“pretty average”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

we had an early dinner recently, and the experience was just ok. It was disappointing to find just one white & one red wine by the glass. I chose a glass of the house red and it was served warm. I then had to wait 15 minutes for the wine to be chilled so it was drinkable, by which time our starters had arrived. I also noticed that the wine cold room was open & therefore off - not chilling the red wines. The waiter took my serviette & cutlery away while he was rearranging for the mains to arrive, & forgot to bring any back. One main (a rib eye steak) was good, and the other main (ostrich) was all right, but not spectacular. With your mains you get a choice of starch or veg, so if you want both you have to pay extra. We chose extra veg and it was rather a let down, with sandy spinach and small portions. dessert of chocolate fondant was good, but all in all not enough to make me want to rush back.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank amandaegg
Ealing, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic customer service and the food was pretty good too!”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We had some great food here (especially the oysters) and the restaurant couldn't have been more helpful. It made for a great experience and I can recommend you stop in if you're in Hout Bay. If you're a real foodie then be sure to quiz the staff about the dishes as they pride themselves on complementary flavours and 'engineering' food. Very reasonably priced as well

• Visited March 2014
“Average food & service”
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Didn't really blow my mind. Went for Sushi and Calamari as starter - quality was ok but wouldn't necessarily go there again. Staff was very friendly.

1 Thank Mario L