“So good”
Review of Cheyne's

Cheyne's
Ranked #3 of 63 Restaurants in Hout Bay
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Incredible Contemporary Asian Cuisine, Cocktails and an impressive selection of wines.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“So good”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I'm not really sure I want to tell too many people how good our lunch at Cheyne's was. We had been in SA for 11 weeks and this was our last meal and we certainly saved the best until last. It helped that it was a beautiful day and we sat outside in the sun BUT the food spoke for itself - it was brilliant and the format so simple that we ate a variety of dishes. Next year we will go there first thing!!

1 Thank Rob N

Cape Town
“EXCELLENT TAPAS STYLE IN HOUT BAY”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We have now dined at this little restaurant five times recently and have never been disappointed. The food and service are excellent. The choice of small portions (from R45 to R110) listed under sea, earth, salt and sweet is interesting. It is best to order a number and share, otherwise two individual courses should be enough for the average diner. Cheyne gets amazing flavours into every dish and the ribs are among the best I have tasted. The waiters are very good and knowledgeable. A real gem and I hope the Cape Town public continue to give Cheyne the support he deserves. One small gripe the R60 corkage charge is a bit steep.

Freetown, Sierra Leone
“Literally my best restaurant meal ever”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Visiting friends in Hout Bay, we got taken to Cheyne's for a meal last night. Incredible selection of very unusual-sounding tapas-style meals, grouped by Sea, Land, Earth (seafood, meats, veg) and Sweet as... (obviously desserts). The three of us shared each dish (helpfully usually coming in 3 small portions per dish), having a total of ten main (four sea, three land, three earth) courses between us. As a 6' 2" guy with a healthy appetite, I was surprised to find that was more than enough.
The food was, quite simply, OUTSTANDING. I don't exaggerate when I say that was, without doubt, the best meal I've ever had. Beautifully presented, each dish deliciiously offset with unusual sauces or garnishes. The service was wonderful, the dishes coming as they were ready (which worked rather well as we wouldn't have fitted them all on the table at once).
My two particular favourites were the Sansyo Pepper Beef, Wasabi and Lemongrass Cream for one, and Green Chilli and White Sesame Slaw, Crushed Nuts (a sort of spicy, zingy, nutty coleslaw), but it was all delicious.
We finished off with a dark chocolate mousse of some sort, green tea & white miso ice cream and best of all a caramel banana brioche with peanut butter ice cream which was incredible.
All in all came to around R1000 (about £60 at the current exchange rate) including a bottle of wine and two bottles of sparkling water.
I can't recommend Cheyne's highly enough - and I've eaten wonderfully since I've been in Cape Town. So much so that we're going back again in a couple of days and are thinking of kidnapping the chef and taking him back to the UK.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Matt_1505
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Cheyne's Restaurant gets my 5 stars”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I loved our evening at Cheyne's.

The entire experience was certainly something to write home about. The presentation and flavours make every single bite better than the one before, the service is impeccable, and the atmosphere is warm and welcoming.

I strongly advise anyone to do themselves a favour and give Cheyne's a try. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited February 2014
london
“Outstanding”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Great selection of seafood,meat and vegetable tapas (large portions). Favourites on the table were sticky duck, lucky fish and ribs. The flavours are outstanding along with presentation of the food. Service was fantastic by all the staff, would recommend to book a table before hand as it's quite a busy restaurant. Slightly pricy for the locals but great value for the Europeans.