“Best view; great ambience; good service”

The Lookout Deck Hout Bay Restaurant, Bar & Sushi
Ranked #8 of 64 Restaurants in Hout Bay
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, Sushi, Grill
Good for: Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Lookout Deck Hout Bay arguably boasts one of the best views in the Western Cape. Situated on the water's edge in the Hout Bay harbour, the restaurant boasts breathtaking mountain and ocean views.The restaurant has an extensive menu including: premier seafood, freshly caught line fish from the local fisherman, live Cape rock lobster, succulent LM prawns, juicy black tiger prawns, fresh steamed black mussels, as well as the finest cuts of A-grade meat. There's a great selection of appetizing salads, wood-fired pizzas and hearty breakfasts.Japan meets Hout Bay with a new Sushi Bar on the deck. Wasabi greets Sashimi with Maki & California rolls and more on the side!The Oyster Bar continues to draw cheers with Champagne accompanying chucked live oysters.The bar stocks local and international beers, including Amstel, Stella and Castle Lite on tap. The wine list reflects the wine growing regions of the Cape.Enjoy sensational sundowners and cocktails whilst listening to local live music on selected evenings.
Hout Bay, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best view; great ambience; good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

My family and friends have been coming here for many years to enjoy the good food with stunning views. Compliments to the staff for New Years Eve Celebrations - you excelled yourselves and took "The Deck" experience to new levels. The tables were transformed and the set menu had us salivating. No doubt we'll be booking again for 2013

1 Thank anniejhb

Zurich, Switzerland
“Best Dom (don) Pedros in Hout Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We would go for dinner around the bay and always come back to the lookout for a Dom Pedro to finish off the night .... Best around! Wait staff super helpful. Can't comment on foods

1 Thank Suzieandjohn
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great Sunday afternoon summer vibe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Our extended family and friends have been coming here for years. love the sunday afternoon live music atmosphere. PROS: location - incredible view of the hout bay harbour, mountains, seals, local fisherman etc; vibe - live music on Sun afternoons after 4pm; seating - simple benches and rustic feel; food and menu - 7/10. CONS: can be difficult to get a table outside in peak summer season (so book); service is hot and cold; weather dependent. Will be back next year. Viva Tanglewood!

3 Thank Arrierom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great sushi”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

The sushi is great made perfect really enjoyed it but it's abit expensive place is ok nice view of the harbour. Thanks

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Patrons with children led unaware into smoking section”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

My family and I went to the Lookout Deck on the 27th of December 2012, we had mixed feelings about our experience.

Firstly lets' talk about the food/ambiance: This is wonderful. Food was well prepared, and though we waited a bit to get our orders, it was understandable as the restaurant was quite busy. Out waiter was friendly and overall I would recommend the restaurant to anyone was it not for what happened when we were about 2/3rds through our meal.

Now for the rest: Upon arriving with my family, including my 15 month old baby, we were immediately directed to a table near the window looking out to the harbor, We had a wonderful view and was quickly helped to a baby chair and felt comfortable. But 2/3rd's into our meal, people suddenly started lighting up cigarettes around us. Due to the fact that I have a baby with me, I inquired the waiter whether it was a smoking section. He confirmed. I was a bit shocked, as we arrived with a baby and was not told it was a smoking section. I would have never guessed, as, even though it is on the deck, it is part of the restaurant, enclosed by a wall of windows and have permanent gazebo's right through...it is closed in, even if the roof is not made from tiles. There were no visible signs depicting the area as a smoking area and I felt that in accordance to our new smoking laws the restaurant is bending the rules and gave me a seat in the smoking section whilst I have a baby with me.

The manager promptly came to my table. His attitude was bossy and he handed me an unsigned letter from the city of Cape Town which basically states that "as the wording of the law is ambiguous on what is defined as enclosed spaces", they are awaiting clarification on the term and in the meantime cannot make a call on the Lookout's deck area. He then said that he is "also a non smoker and would love the law to change so that he and his staff do not need to clean ash trays the whole day, but his hands are tied". I then pointed out that I had a baby with me and was not informed it was a smoking area. He then said it is not a smoking area, but an open space and that I have my baby there on my own discretion. I was appalled by the attitude. I was not offered another table, he just turned around and walked away after saying this and while walking said that everything he does is within the law.

I really did not realize that our law allows this kind of thing to happen, as restaurants usually have a clearly marked smoking area, and children is not allowed.

Is this a matter of bending the rules, or illegal? Maybe just unethical? But letting children into your smoking area without informing clients that it is a smoking area does not seem right. I will not be returning to the restaurant due to this, and will take the matter further.

1 Thank Herman S